Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone *first-post*

I´ve got a V6 Tiburon (Automatic) and I´m planning to buy a Supercharger as soon as possible ;)
I thought bout buying this ripp-kit but some ppl. told me that they are not the best.. so I´m thinking bout the alpine supercharger..

But what else will I need beside this supercharger kit?
Anything at the Transmission or Exhaust ? I have seen in some topics here that other headers and exhaust will be needed ?!

Can someone help me / give me a link with further informations ?!??

THAAAANKS A LOT =)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I dont have a SC, hell I don't even drive a Tib :D

But I've read a lot of good things about NGM. I think he has 2 SC kits, the sniper and the assasin.
both complete kits with everything you need. You could contact him to ask for any details.

I'm not dissing ripp or alpine, they're bood working products

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thougt I might have to change some parts like the clutch .. ok I have a automatic transmission.. but some parts like this..
because kits like this NGM push the HP in other dimensions of power and I am wondering if my engin wont brake down after 10.000 km´ ??!

I also heard about NGM and its quality .. got to take a look at their prices..

thanks for your fast reply =)

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Alpine or NGM are fine. NGM has more future potential for hp, as it moves more air.
Alpine's stage 0 or stage 1 can run w/o headers or exhaust, but I would still at least get an aftermarket catback. At least a front full poly motor mount (not inserts). I would also get an SRI or CAI intake so you can get the most from you s/c. It's kind of pointless to pull more air when it's restricted, Finally, a fuel tuner (I use NGM's MAFTerburner) will optimize your s/c's capabilities. It's not necesssary, but will definitely give you more power. The standing rule around here is your safe up to around 300whp on stock internals. I'm at 251whp and running strong (except for my slipping stock clutch). If you're auto, you won't have to worry about clutch issues. NGM like Alpine has entry level kits that can be upgraded. You can use an NGM sniper or Alpine as is, or with intake & exhaust, optional headers. You can always keep the setup baseline if you're concerned about to much psi, and upgrade them later if you desire. Tibs have been running these blowers for numerous miles safely.

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys =)

I decided to buy a NGM.. Sounds better to me with its specifications and upgrads

Did you install the superchargers yourself ?

I´ve done a lot of things myself before.. I installed the Cold Air Intake myself, changed springs and dampers, changed the doorhandles...
But a supercharger is a little harder to install I guess?!

@rsnyderjr2

yep Ive read this before but in this thread it does not come out if I have to buy something extra or what I have to change to use a sc. without any problems
but thanks anyway =)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Check out rsnyderjr2's great Sniper install DIY: http://www.oktibs.com/ngmhouse/sniperdiy.pdf

If you are going with the sniper, you don't really need anything yet. I'd say the first upgrade should be a front polyurethane motor mount, and then as you want more power, you'll want to add a catback and headers. Talk to T.C. when you order your kit from NGM, and ask him any questions you have; he's here to help.

Goodluck and enjoy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh GREAT !!

I just took a look at the document.. it realy does not look that hard, I thought before.
But it also doesnt look very easy ...

Do you think its better to buy a sniper and upgrade later or should I get more money togeter and spend it on the assasin kit ?

currently I dont have the money for the big kit .. :(

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Well, the assasin is cheaper in the long run, as it costs a little more overall to get the sniper and upgrade later. But, if you get the assassin kit, you'll need a new clutch and flywheel, on top of the 4500 for the kit. Its a great kit, but it all depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of power your looking for right now.

I love my sniper kit, and I deffinetely can feel the difference in power.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know realy how the automatic transmission works.. but I think it has no clutch.. has it??
But this flywheel I would need ?!!

Hm I want to spend between 3000 and 4500 $
At the moment the $ is in a good relation to the € (I am from Austria)
1 € = 1,33 $ at the moment.. and so I am thinking if I should buy a smaller and cheaper kit now, or wait and hope that the $ looses more and I earn enough money for the big ngm kit =)

·
Banned
2,706 Posts
V6Shark said:
I dont know realy how the automatic transmission works.. but I think it has no clutch.. has it??
But this flywheel I would need ?!!

Hm I want to spend between 3000 and 4500 $
At the moment the $ is in a good relation to the € (I am from Austria)
1 € = 1,33 $ at the moment.. and so I am thinking if I should buy a smaller and cheaper kit now, or wait and hope that the $ looses more and I earn enough money for the big ngm kit =)
Na the auto you'll be alright. NGM took apart the tranny and discover it really only needs a new valvetrain. Maybe throw in a torque convertor while your at it. We have a stong clutch already.

The strongest auto I seen on a stock tranny was minesbetter and he was pushing I believe around 280whp from his last dyno.

Lastly the sniper is good for maybe 300-350whp, assassin I cant remember right now but alot more. It just depends on what you want your limit to be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess 250-280 WHP would be realy enough for me (at the moment *hehe*)..
We also dont have a lot of streets wich are going into one direction without any turns or curves...

yesterday one question came up, as I was talking to a friend of mine:
how much more gas do you need ?

... because here in Austria, 1 Liter of Gas costs ~ 1,04 € wich is 5,24$ per gallon!!
very expensive heh?

·
Registered
199 Posts
V6Shark said:
I guess 250-280 WHP would be realy enough for me (at the moment *hehe*)..
We also dont have a lot of streets wich are going into one direction without any turns or curves...

yesterday one question came up, as I was talking to a friend of mine:
how much more gas do you need ?

... because here in Austria, 1 Liter of Gas costs ~ 1,04 € wich is 5,24$ per gallon!!
very expensive heh?
no **** dude

can you buy some for me ?

petrol is around 1,32 € for 1 liter
that's over $ 6 per gallon

and with the nice dollar price $ 1,25 vs € 1,00 it's almost cheaper to just let my sis in San Fransisco stock some petrol and ship it here

I'll be rich :D

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The Sniper should be able to hit 250 no problem. If you get the Assassin you would need an intake, headers, exhaust, motor mounts, and a catch can to start if you are on an auto. Make sure you have some place to tune it if you get a MAFterburner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
why are those motor mounts such important? what are they exactly for ?

I guess the sniper will be good for me =)
But can anyone tell me how much gas you need or how many miles you can drive with a full tank of gas?
would be very important for me !

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^

There's not a lot of space between the header and the firewall (the 'metal' between the passengers and the engine.

If you open your hood and start your engine and rev it a few times, you can see the engine 'twist' because of the power it produces.
Basicaly the engine tries to turn itself over rather then turn over your crank shaft.
If you throw on a S/C or T/C you increase the power output significally. This will make the engine twist more when WOT (wide open throttle). Because there's so little room in engine bayes the engine or header could 'smash' against the firewall for example.

This could eventually throw off your drive belt for your S/C which is something that you DONT want to happen.

I've read a thread sometime around a Ripp SDS install which had that problem.
Switching motor mounts stiffens up the engine mounting so that it will not twist that much.

compare it to aftermarket lowered springs, they are somewhat stiffer because you don't want your bumpers to drag over the roads everytime you take a speedbump

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
you don't need more gas, so long as you stay out of boost . . .

when you get on it, and create boost, obviously your gas mileage will be worse, but if you drive it normally, don't build the boost up all the time, it won't decrease much if any.

And you'll need to run a higher octane in the car as well. I don't know what you use there in Austria, but here most people us Oct. 91-93, depending on what's available in their area . . .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.