Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I am getting an assassin kit <at a great deal> and only have one problem! stock block and only supporting mod so far is an Ark N2 exhaust ; /. I want LOTS of HP but DONT want to blow my engine! So whats a happy medium of mods that will support the assassin kit? the kit says it pushes 400+ hp but thats with a bunch of other work...So without going overboard <as in spending more $ than the car is worth> what are MUST haves and what do you guys think I should get to get a good amount of boost near 400? I know Headers and CAI and some other things but anyone have a good idea of what is safe and pushes good numbers? Thanks guys!~ any input is greatly accepted!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
your going to need several items to get that blower working up to its potential. You definitely have to upgrade your fuel system (injectors / fuel pump ect..) Im not sure what your getting with the kit but if that's not included you most likely need to get them. Your also going to have to get a tuner / a/f ratio gauge. Your tuner must be able to tune fuel and getting a tuner that does ignition as well would be best. I would also look into upgraded your motor mounts and if you haven't already I would put better plugs in. For more on the performance end headers and intake would be great like you already mentioned, also I would recommend a bbtb and the stg 4 lower IM. The icebox and heat exchanger would also be a good upgrade. Now im not sure how much boost your looking to push but I would go to high due to stock internals and stock heads. I wouldnt go any higher then 8-12lbs to be on the safe side. But you'll get a good amount of hp with that boost.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Headers
Motor Mounts (2)
Alky (unless your area has good premium fuel)
Clutch (if you're a manual)
Fuel Tuner (NGM Reflash would be better)
Wideband AFR monitor
OBD-II scanner / logger
GOOD TUNE

I ran this kit on a stock block, but don't think that you're ever really safe with this on a stock block. You better have a reserve fund to replace your motor.

You can't be cheap or ignorant to car maintenance and run this kit without repercussions.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
your going to need several items to get that blower working up to its potential. You definitely have to upgrade your fuel system (injectors / fuel pump ect..) Im not sure what your getting with the kit but if that's not included you most likely need to get them. Your also going to have to get a tuner / a/f ratio gauge. Your tuner must be able to tune fuel and getting a tuner that does ignition as well would be best. I would also look into upgraded your motor mounts and if you haven't already I would put better plugs in. For more on the performance end headers and intake would be great like you already mentioned, also I would recommend a bbtb and the stg 4 lower IM. The icebox and heat exchanger would also be a good upgrade. Now im not sure how much boost your looking to push but I would go to high due to stock internals and stock heads. I wouldnt go any higher then 8-12lbs to be on the safe side. But you'll get a good amount of hp with that boost.
He won't need a fuel pump. The stocker is fine. Injectors should be included in his kit along with a fuel tuner and MafExtender. The only tuner available that really controls timing on the Tiburon is the NGM Hydra, and it's a full standalone. The BBTB and Stage IV lower can come later once he actually has the kit installed and running properly. Icebox comes with the Assassin kit. The base PSI with the Assassin is about 8-9 PSI. Stay there unless you're gonna run alky and and you have a spare engine on standby.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for getting back to me! I will have everything as if I was buying it new as in:
Eaton 4th Generation MP90 Roots Blower
-Fully fabricated, CNC'ed, TIG Welded NGM Ice Box Intake Manifold
-NGM High Flow 90MM Billet Plenum
-NGM Front Mount Ice Box Reservoir & Heat Exchanger Kit
-NGM Exclusive 460CC Injectors
-NGM Mafterburner Stage II Fuel Tuner
-MafExtender
-Belt
-NGM Billet Throttle Body Adaptor
-Complete Billet Brackets & Accessories
-Full Stainless Mounting Hardware

So with this ark headers/good CAI and some other odds and ends I should be str8? I was told I should look into http://***************.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=40 but to be honest I don't want to drop another 3,000..So I want a good amount of HP...yet to be safe.. <keep in mind I wont be dragging or be some underground street racer!> its my daily car that will own everyone kind of thing..lol ; 0 I want to install everything ALL at once <I know nothing...NOTHING> I started reading about turbos/SC got some books and have learned a lot..but no were near the level/tools to do any of this myself..maybe the CAI..lol SO i will drop it off at a shop but would rather have it all done in 1 shot so a good idea of extra stuff to buy is what i am going for! thanks so much for the input already!! KEEP IT COMING!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and would I need Stage IV Intake Manifolds <upper/lower> I know we mentioned lower..dosnt the Stage 4 upper look like the same thing already in the kit? so i wouldnt need the upper?...thanks :)

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The install is straight forward. You're in FL so there are alot of people down there that should be able to help you out with the tuning.

The base kit will put you at anywhere from 270/285 at the wheels. So that's plenty of HP considering where you stand at stock.

Also, your CAI more than likely won't fit with the Assassin. I had to modify the AEM CAI that I had at the time.

I wouldn't pay a shop to do this install. There is an NGM provided install video. The video is for the Sniper, but it's all the same.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Oh and would I need Stage IV Intake Manifolds <upper/lower> I know we mentioned lower..dosnt the Stage 4 upper look like the same thing already in the kit? so i wouldnt need the upper?...thanks :)
The icebox manifold replaces the stocker. Stage IV upper is for N/A or turbo setups. You don't NEED a stage IV lower, but after you have everything setup. If you wanna buy a stage IV lower then go for it.

·
Banned
1,952 Posts
lol 400 hp.

but yeah, like 05GT said, make sure to have some rainy day money for if that thing blows up one day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Make sure to take the comment on motor mounts seriously. I've seen someones throttle body and intake manifold smashed up against their firewall --and they were running NA ! I supercharged my car yesterday and didn't even drive it until I installed my rear motor mount. Call it paranoia but if i buy something that expensive while knowing the rear motor mount is a bit ' flimsy' and there is a chance of ruining it..... You get the point. Change your motor mounts :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
The install is straight forward. You're in FL so there are alot of people down there that should be able to help you out with the tuning.

The base kit will put you at anywhere from 270/285 at the wheels. So that's plenty of HP considering where you stand at stock.

Also, your CAI more than likely won't fit with the Assassin. I had to modify the AEM CAI that I had at the time.

I wouldn't pay a shop to do this install. There is an NGM provided install video. The video is for the Sniper, but it's all the same.
Were you able to just flip the top pipe of the AEM upside down like with the alpine kit?

·
Registered
144 Posts
for my sniper i had to cut about 1" off of the top pipe to make it clear my brake booster line

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Headers
Motor Mounts (2)
Alky (unless your area has good premium fuel)
Clutch (if you're a manual)
Fuel Tuner (NGM Reflash would be better)
Wideband AFR monitor
OBD-II scanner / logger
GOOD TUNE

I ran this kit on a stock block, but don't think that you're ever really safe with this on a stock block. You better have a reserve fund to replace your motor.

You can't be cheap or ignorant to car maintenance and run this kit without repercussions.
Ran this setup for over a year without incident, but had a wideband gauge on it to monitor at all times, which i think is a must for any f/i regardless of make model etc!

Anyways, I also agree with doing a reflash if possible as it will put the timing where it needs to be and retard it where you do not want it.

You do not need a stage 4 lower...I ran a built assassin that hit 16 psi and redlined at 20-21 psi with the stock lower intake manifold and no issues. It would be nice if you have cash laying around, but shouldn't be at the top of your list, if at all on your list in my opinion!

Oh, and my aem cai fit on there just fine. I ended up fabbing a 4" intake for awhile, and I actually took the line off the brake booster, cut the nipple off where it angles straight up, and clamped the line on the rest of the nipple on the booster that was now facing straight out, and gained a TON of clearance around the brake booster line. It is super easy to do, and takes like 5 mins.

Keep premium fuel in there, or higher octane blend if not using alky. I blended 97 octane for months before using an alky kit (at which point I went back to the crappy premium in AZ 91 octane).

Have fun with it and don't feel like you have to spend a g on headers to get a good setup. I have a modified ssa exhaust and dc sports headers, but honestly would go cheaper if having to do it again just because it doesn't make too much difference w/ the headers. A little, not a lot.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
He won't need a fuel pump. The stocker is fine. Injectors should be included in his kit along with a fuel tuner and MafExtender. The only tuner available that really controls timing on the Tiburon is the NGM Hydra, and it's a full standalone. The BBTB and Stage IV lower can come later once he actually has the kit installed and running properly. Icebox comes with the Assassin kit. The base PSI with the Assassin is about 8-9 PSI. Stay there unless you're gonna run alky and and you have a spare engine on standby.
Are you sure? The stock one was at 99% at 260whp for me. That's why I upgraded to 160lph which now hits a max of 75%.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you sure? The stock one was at 99% at 260whp for me. That's why I upgraded to 160lph which now hits a max of 75%.
Aaahh man, don't say that :(....I was hoping to hit 260-ish with the stocker....according to NGM website...

NGM said:
The factory fuel pump is good to around 340 BHP, so if you are making upwards of 290whp+ you need to swap...

I'm hoping T.C is correct :).......

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Your pump is different from the stocker in the 05-06 cars. I was making nearly 300 to the wheels, and I was pulling fuel. The stocker was good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts