Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever tried replacing the center fascia switches (fog lights, heated seats, etc.) from the ordinary push-buttons to toggle off-on switches [link provided from Diode Dynamics]?
http://www.diodedynamics.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_43&products_id=71

I'm not terribly familiar with the electronic work that would go into it.

I saw a picture of a Pagani Zonda interior and was inspired. [attached]

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would you situate the switches in rather large holes left by the original buttons?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am having some trouble locating the blank covers. The labels on this Hyundai OEM parts site are confusing me.
I can't tell if it #18 [on the first link]
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214637&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2610&groupid=2610&subgroupid=2610&componentid=0&make=13&model=Tiburon&year=2005&graphicID=1033340&callout=1&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

...or one of the "blank covers" on this illustration.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214637&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2610&groupid=51866&subgroupid=4608&componentid=4376&make=13&model=Tiburon&year=2005&graphicID=1033345&callout=8&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

I know the switches on the left of the steering wheel have a slightly different shape than those on the center fascia so naturally, I don't want to waste time buying the wrong covers. What the heck is the difference between a foglight switch w/o CD and foglight front w/o CD?

Maybe you guys might know a site that's much easier?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
652 Posts
shouldnt need more than a 10A fuse. they are all hooked to the BCM fuse wich is 10A you get a 20A switch the fuse will blow first every time.... and that is going to look horrible BTW. you can find dead switches for next to nothing. many ppl including myself swap them out for a real switch. im sure there would be quite happy to give you their old ones for shipping plus $2 or so

·
Registered
362 Posts
Dude! I replaced my switches with touch button switches. They are amazing. I am still working on the fog light button. I haven't had the time to get far though. I will post a pic. ASAP

·
Registered
652 Posts
yeah i mean just get both heated seats and handfree button. that will fill in all the slots. wont look like ****. and will be easier to wire. i assume you dont know much about wiring since you are asking if you can use a regular toggle switch in your car... actually idk about easier... but there are instructions on how to do it, what wire to tap ETC...just go stock... trust me

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help with the fuses. You're right, I don't know a whole lot about wiring but that's what I'm trying to learn. It's not rocket science, I've read many of the related DIYs; just needs to be done right.

As much as I hate to say "That's your opinion," I think if I take my time and craft the switches to blend in with the metal-grain fascia that I have, it will look good but certainly not in an OEM sense. I have no interest trying to look like it came from the factory that way, I would prefer to let my car honestly express it's modded nature. But dear lord, after seeing all the epic fail ricers , I know I want to do it with some taste. I have no qualms about restoring to its factory look if it looks like bad.

Definitely would like to see how those push button switches came out, tibbyking.

·
Registered
652 Posts
well it deffently is my oppinion. and if none of that deters you i say go for it. its 100 percent feasable. i wouldnt use the switch you had in mind though. go down to radioshack. or even autozone has them. and just take a pic from SPDT (single pole double throw) meaing it will have 3 prongs. so up will close the top 2 leads and down will open the top 2 and close the top 2. middle being common (ussually 12v) or a SPST (single pole single throw) having 2 prongs. one in and one out. when the switch is off the leads are open (not connected) when its on it closses them (allowing electricity) and about the switch you picked out. it would work but it is really small. the ones pictured are more like this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062494

minus the plate

what are you planning to hook this to?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually was trying to find the SPST kind of toggle switches (Just simple one/off). I didn't realize how wrong those switches I posted earlier were for what I had in mind. I'm guessing a 3a or 6a switch is ok to use?

I was planning on replacing all the switches I have on my center fascia with toggles like the Zonda interior: Foglights, my radar detector (uses a blue tooth switch; hidden in my ashtray), and the heated seat switches (yet to be installed, waiting on getting my seats reuplostered right now). I might even move my foglight switch (in toggle format) over to the left of the steering wheel next to the dimmer switch and put a functional bluetooth switch in its place.

·
Registered
652 Posts
radar detector should be fine for like 5A or so. the heated seat though i would look under you dash at your fuses. there is a heated seat fuse for stock heaters look and see what size fuse should fill that spot. that will tell you what to rate your switch at. and error at the side of a switch being too high than low. most are like 20 though so you should be fine. also you can wire a relay to the switch so that it will use low ampreage and let the relay handle it. shouldnt need to though

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The switches you linked to can be easily wired as spst, don't spend extra on spst over spdt/dpst/dpdt, since any of those can be wire to act just like a spst switch.

At first I was going to say "noooooo don't do it" but if you have a metal grain fashia, well then this could actually look decent, as long as you go all the way with it and avoid mix-and-matching.

·
Registered
652 Posts
yeah you can wire them all the same. but a double pull means it will have 3 positions. up down and in the middle. unless you neeeded it its kinda a pain. but yes it could easily be wired like that. i used one to wire air fuel in my truck since i have 2 headers and only one gauge i ran the signal wire through there. up would moniter the driver side. down the passenger

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I'm guessing 3-6a is ok for the bluetooth and foglights though
Buying parts soon...

I'm trying to think of a way to still have labels on the switches like in the Zonda picture. Maybe getting little vinyl stickers? Might look crappy...I wonder how viable etching the plastic would be...

·
Registered
652 Posts
idk about that you need to just find a switch first. as far as the labels i know midnight wolf could do that. but they make sheet aluminum just like the pic. you could fit that around the facia if you wanted to... idk how that would look though

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What if I just got a whole new aluminum fascia to go with it?
Is that even possible?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I meant was is it possible to get a custom-made aluminum center fascia?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts