Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80377&highlight=syncro
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50044&highlight=syncro

After reading the above threads Im pretty sure I have a synchro problem in First and Second. My car will grind going into second or just generally put up resistance going into second. It also sometimes will put up resistance going into or coming out of first. These dont occur all the time. Most of the time it happens when its cold although it does happen when its warm. I have synchomesh in the car.

What im wondering is will they blame my ripp clutch and flywheel or speedfreak lsd on the problems. Do these mods even effect what im talking about? I already took out my short shifter for the time being so that cant be blamed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hurdler5280 said:
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80377&highlight=syncro
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50044&highlight=syncro

After reading the above threads Im pretty sure I have a synchro problem in First and Second. My car will grind going into second or just generally put up resistance going into second. It also sometimes will put up resistance going into or coming out of first. These dont occur all the time. Most of the time it happens when its cold although it does happen when its warm. I have synchomesh in the car.

What im wondering is will they blame my ripp clutch and flywheel or speedfreak lsd on the problems. Do these mods even effect what im talking about? I already took out my short shifter for the time being so that cant be blamed.

They could blame it on thos but i wouldnt think they would. My dealer ship is pretty cool about after market parts. I had the same thing happen to me, Bad syncro in 3rd I didnt have any after market parts at the time tho. I got a brand new tranny out of it :p

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Im willing to bet they will try to blame it on your clutch. A worn out clutch / wearing out clutch also seems to intensify the bad synchro problem. I had some bad synchro's in my old celica, once i replaced the clutch they were ALOT better. If your clutch is not disengauging properly it'll toast synchro's for lunch. how many miles on your car?

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Sometimes if im going like 10mph and coming to a stop it WILL NOT let me gear down to first, only when im totally stopped.

Originally i thought it was some sorta protective thing, not allowing me to gear down to 1 until i was going super slow...

Is that a syncro problem?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
yea sounds like a syncro problem. If you do bring it to the dealer I dont think they can blame it one a clutch and they wont know if you have a LSD in their anyway. I do recommend that you put your regular shifter in, the stock one, and bring it to the dealer.

I had the same problem with my 3rd gear, and they told me it was cause of my STS, but thats BS cause i had that problem long before i got my STS. So i never went back and got my tranny replaced, and lived with problem until i dold the car.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
playtilithrtz said:
yea sounds like a syncro problem. If you do bring it to the dealer I dont think they can blame it one a clutch and they wont know if you have a LSD in their anyway. I do recommend that you put your regular shifter in, the stock one, and bring it to the dealer.

I had the same problem with my 3rd gear, and they told me it was cause of my STS, but thats BS cause i had that problem long before i got my STS. So i never went back and got my tranny replaced, and lived with problem until i dold the car.
Yup i put the stock shifter in so they couldnt complain.
About the clutch and flywheel its a ripp package which ive had on the car for about 5k. There are 45k on the car. Im dropping it off at the dealership on the 12th so we will see what happens. I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
gl let me know what happens mines doing the same thing 1st and second sometimes i need two hands to get it out of first lol which dealer are you going to?i've got the b&m shifter and spec stg2 clutch

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nolfol said:
gl let me know what happens mines doing the same thing 1st and second sometimes i need two hands to get it out of first lol which dealer are you going to?i've got the b&m shifter and spec stg2 clutch
Im going to route 2 hyundai in Leominster. I took out my shifter and put the stocker back in, but they will see the clutch and flywheel. Ill let you know what happens.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
thanks ya let me know cause if they don't put up a fuss i 'll go therei , hope it's under warranty but i don't think it wil lbe once they see are clutches

·
Registered
178 Posts
i had my 2nd gear syncro fixed a while back and its comming back to me a little bit, grind here grind there, i hate this BS, tranny problems non stop in our cars. they need to look over their deal...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nolfol said:
thanks ya let me know cause if they don't put up a fuss i 'll go therei , hope it's under warranty but i don't think it wil lbe once they see are clutches
I would think if they blame it on the clutch then I would have problems in every gear and not just 1st and 2nd. All i know is it is damn annoying and needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
ya i hear ya there sucks fighting with it everday plus i just bought a house in ct and i don't know when i'm going to be able to get the car in to the dealer i'm so busy right know and i can't have my car down for even a day it sucks

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
mine is doing the same thing...grinding into 2nd when its cold. i just had the clutch replaced with an aluminum flywheel and aftermarket clutch but the dealership said its that it looks as if its a clutch problem. pm me with your results please so i can go back and show them

·
Registered
542 Posts
Spitzer said:
Sometimes if im going like 10mph and coming to a stop it WILL NOT let me gear down to first, only when im totally stopped.

Originally i thought it was some sorta protective thing, not allowing me to gear down to 1 until i was going super slow...

Is that a syncro problem?
I believe this is because first (as well as the reverse) gear, do not have synchros. Syncros are meant to speed a gear up to your current speed so the transition is smoother... so since first gear is your... first gear... your speed when you enter first gear should be zero, technically you shouldn't be putting your car in first (or reverse) will the car is moving. Do not downshit into first, that's not a good habit. Your brakes should be able to do the job just fine bringing you to a stop from 10mph...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Toschinator said:
Do not downshit into first, that's not a good habit.
I'm not one to point out typos, but that one is pretty funny.

I also have problems with my first to second synchros. It doesn't matter where the rpm's are when I shift, although at higher levels it seems to be worse. I always thought if the clutch and flywheel were replaced the problem would be solved, but seeing that's not always the case I may have to get it into the dealer and see if I can get it fixed. I put Amsoil gear oil in a few months back and it helped the problem slightly.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, well i started a new thread in the general discussion forum relating to this issue.
I brought my car in and the tech admitted that it was my synchro. He said that they cant service it and that i will get a new one. He did say that because i have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel, i might get rejected. He said that they will reject it mainly because, as he said, "the flywheel, since its not a dual mass will cause more stress on the transmission which they could blame on causing the synchro problem. " Is this possible? Needless to say he gave me a number to Hyundai corporate but i want to get some info from you guys before i file a claim.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
When the car is very cold I have big problems getting it into second gear. It doenst want to go in and every once in a while it grinds just alittle bit. But once it warms up it goes in smooth with no issues. Wow my car is just like my woman. :3_smile:

·
Registered
771 Posts
As I mentioned earlier I have problems when shifting from first to second...

Does this problem with the synchros usually lead to needing a new transmission? My warranty is up in August and I may have to take some parts out and get to the dealer. I just didn't want to deal with putting stock parts back on (which might be near impossible because of the Delrin Shifter Bushings and how hard they were to get in...I'm sure they'll be twice as hard to get out because I had to really squeeze the bigger one to fit), being without my car for several days, and not even knowing if what was done would fix the problem. However, if the tranny is gonna have to be replaced some day due to this I need to get it done within the warranty period.

So let me know if synchro problems will usually require a new tranny at some point.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ok, well i started a new thread in the general discussion forum relating to this issue.
I brought my car in and the tech admitted that it was my synchro. He said that they cant service it and that i will get a new one. He did say that because i have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel, i might get rejected. He said that they will reject it mainly because, as he said, "the flywheel, since its not a dual mass will cause more stress on the transmission which they could blame on causing the synchro problem. " Is this possible? Needless to say he gave me a number to Hyundai corporate but i want to get some info from you guys before i file a claim.

Well if they do replace it you will lose your LSD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could this also affect 6th in the same way? Trying to shift to 6th is impossible. Feels more like a brick wall, as if nothing is there at all. All the numbers have been ran and all say it is a six speed. I am also putting in a new f1 gripforce stage 4 clutch kit due to a bad clutch.(Imagine That) Acted like air in the hydraulic lines, so I bought a new slave cylinder with no improvement. So, I guess I have two questions.

1. Can a synchro cause my 6th gear problem since all other gears shift fine?

2. Should I also replace the flywheel when doing the clutch? I have read that they were also possibly faulty.

Hoping I don't get yelled at for posting 1 clutch question in the synchro area, but i'm hoping these probs are in someway linked.:3_nosthum

1 - 20 of 20 Posts