Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time working on taking the motor out of the car but I want to keep my tranny in I don't want it out just the engine is there a way I can just take out the engine or does the tranny have to come to

·
Registered
364 Posts
This is my first time working on taking the motor out of the car but I want to keep my tranny in I don't want it out just the engine is there a way I can just take out the engine or does the tranny have to come to
If it's a manual tiburon then the trans has to come with it you won't be able to get it out otherwise and it's not much harder to pull the trans

·
Registered
795 Posts
Given that the transmission is largely supported by the engine, I would think you'd have to pull it out with the engine. w/o the engine, it has a grand total of one mount holding it in place, so you'd need to make some kind of support for when the engine is removed.

I'd just remove the tranny with the engine, it's not much more work to pull the axles & shifter cables.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Given that the transmission is largely supported by the engine, I would think you'd have to pull it out with the engine. w/o the engine, it has a grand total of one mount holding it in place, so you'd need to make some kind of support for when the engine is removed.

I'd just remove the tranny with the engine, it's not much more work to pull the axles & shifter cables.
Actually the engine only has 1 mount to it the transmission has 3 mounts on it

·
Registered
795 Posts
Actually the engine only has 1 mount to it the transmission has 3 mounts on it
I literally just pulled my engine out of my tib, and I know for a fact the engine has 3 mounts and the transmission has 1. This goes for 03+ 2.0 & 2.7 models.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I literally just pulled my engine out of my tib, and I know for a fact the engine has 3 mounts and the transmission has 1. This goes for 03+ 2.0 & 2.7 models.
Nope it has 3 trans mount and only 1 mount that actually bolts to the engine . All 3 mounts bolt to the transmission and 1 to the engine

·
Registered
795 Posts
Nope it has 3 trans mount and only 1 mount that actually bolts to the engine . All 3 mounts bolt to the transmission and 1 to the engine
I don't know what to tell you other than you're wrong.

I know for a fact the 2.0 & 2.7 03-08 models have three engine mounts and 1 transmission mount. However, I cannot say for the RD (pre 2000s) tibs.

Please state the year, trim, and engine / trans type that supposidly has 3 transmission mounts and one engine mount if you wish to prove me wrong.

·
Registered
364 Posts

I know for a fact the 2.0 & 2.7 03-08 models have three engine mounts and 1 transmission mount. However, I cannot say for the RD (pre 2000s) tibs.

Please state the year, trim, and engine / trans type that supposidly has 3 transmission mounts and one engine mount if you wish to prove me wrong.
I literally pulled several motors out of these cars so I know . I literally just pulled one out of the junk yard today people call them motor mounts but they are actually transmission mounts lol, one in the rear of the transmission one in the front and one on top

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
218 Posts

I know for a fact the 2.0 & 2.7 03-08 models have three engine mounts and 1 transmission mount.
lol rushking is right. That's a trans mount... Bolts to the "bellhousing" if you want to call it that.

Reactions: Rushking19

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
218 Posts
What headers are those?
Not my motor but looks to be either SSA or the Chinese knockoffs. Here is the video I got it the image from:

The OP might find this guy's series of videos useful but this adds a lot if difficulty to engine removal if you choose to pull out the bottom. Best to take it all out the top IMO.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah best option is to pull from the top eninge with the transmission thats how I do all of the tiburons I do and that is how I did the one I got today

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes me and my buddy did a clutch in his garage in 8 hour with a lot of beer it’s really not hard.. disconnect the air intake all the sensors take out rad and battery tray, take out cv axels, Disconnect Exhaust from flange under the car, don’t bother with manifold until it’s out wayyyy easier, take off mounts and any hoses and away she goes... could have done it in about 6 if we didn’t screw around so much but really doesn’t take that long. And that’s 8 hours with beer screwing around cleaning **** and doing the clutch and flywheel

·
Registered
82 Posts
And btw why you guys fighting about engine mounts¿ who cares what you call them it’s a mount the engine is connected to the trans it’s basically all one big part so it all does the same thing hold your engine and trans up rightttt? And the bell housing is a bell housing not the motor and not the trans so your both wrong? Lol 😂 just agree to to agree that whatever they are called they do the same thing no matter what you call them 😘

·
Registered
364 Posts
And btw why you guys fighting about engine mounts¿ who cares what you call them it’s a mount the engine is connected to the trans it’s basically all one big part so it all does the same thing hold your engine and trans up rightttt? And the bell housing is a bell housing not the motor and not the trans so your both wrong? Lol 😂 just agree to to agree that whatever they are called they do the same thing no matter what you call them 😘
Lmao I admit it was petty

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've blown up two clutches three transmissions and two engines in the last three years drag racing my Tiburon and a whole lot of custom work including a turbo. it is way easier to take the engine and transmission out together do all the work on the bench and then put them back in. It's way more difficult to try to separate them in the car under the hood where there's hardly any room to work or access, and you still would probably have to take at least one of the CV shafts out to get the transmission to drop down to slide off the back of the engine because the engine can't go forward because the balancer will hit the frame rail. if you're driving automatic everything sucks about pulling it out and you should sell your car and buy one with a manual. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts

You are Correct, I just did a Motor Swap on A 2003 tibb. 1 on The Transmission and 3 on da motor, " Front, Back, and Top Left of the Motor are your M.Mounts" Then 1 on the Top of The Transmission...

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
218 Posts
It's not a petty argument. The reason for the discussion is that the OP asked about the best way to remove only the engine. In theory you could do that and the transmission would be fully supported by 3 mounts. However, there isn't enough clearance between the engine and the passenger side to slide the engine out away from the transmission so it's best to just pull both out the top together.

I did a clutch job about 2 years ago on a 2.7L and dropped the trans out the bottom. This method requires a cradle to support the engine because without the transmission, the engine is held on with only the 1 passenger side engine mount. The trans wouldn't come out if I left 2 mounts in question in place.

I know for a fact the 2.0 & 2.7 03-08 models have three engine mounts and 1 transmission mount.
1 on The Transmission and 3 on da motor, " Front, Back, and Top Left of the Motor are your M.Mounts" Then 1 on the Top of The Transmission...
lolwat? Let's put this argument to bed now. The front mount (radiator side) and rear (firewall side) mount both attach to the transmission directly. That means there are 3 trans mounts and 1 motor mount. The goal of these two mounts is to prevent engine/trans roll, so really it doesn't matter where they mount except in the OPs question it was relevant.

Here is the rear mount. It clearly attaches only to the transmission:

Here is the front mount. It also, clearly attaches to the transmission:

Reactions: Rushking19
1 - 18 of 18 Posts