Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two sources to verify the proper installation of your high-performance rotors...
-the Hyundai Manufacturer installs them on the new 07 like I have mine installed
-POWERSLOT's instructions

This goes to everyone who has their high-performance rotors installed the WRONG WAY!!! I told all of you that I called PowerSlot and the they specifically explained to me which direction they go and everyone criticized me... Here is the pic from the new 07 with respect to ccagle2's photo haha with the new 07 tiburon with high performance rotors installed "FROM THE DEALERSHIP!"....

This is a picture of a properly installed non-directional slotted rotor

[/QUOTE]

the new 07 correctly installed!

my car's rotors correctly installed with instructions from POWERSLOT

:3_koning:
Thank you once again... This just goes to show that we should all do our own homework with respect to this site as well, but don't always believe everything you read!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i'm not really worried about the performance difference really cause i know there wont be any, i was just wondering if there really is a RIGHT way for this or if it's just a matter of preferance
sorry for not getting back earlier. YOU ARE ONE HUNDRED PERCENT WRONG about the performance difference... how do i know? Because, I HAD MINE ON BACKWARDS WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED THEM ABOUT A YEAR AGO. The time you will see the difference is going at speeds like 70+ mph and break really hard.... Very impressive difference. I originally heard a squeaking sound on the rotors so that is why I called Powerslot and that is when they told me I had them on the wrong way. I ask if i needed to get new ones and they said, "No you just need to get new pads now or the rotors will get warped if you put the old pad on the correctly installed rotors because the wearing is different" So I just bought new pads and they haven't ever given me a problem.

deez337 said:
The slots should send the heat towards the OUTSIDE of the rotor. That is the performance difference. Picture the pad pressing against the rotor and where the heat is being sent... Do you want the heat sent to the inside or the outside of the rotor? Both pictures are installed wrong in theory.....but you know how that theory thing works right

Having them installed like that wont hurt but look at all the race cars with drilled / slotted rotors and you should see the slots angled towards the outside on a forward revolution...
I've personally driven a race car... I was an old TARGET car and they are positioned correctly as I have them in the picture along with the stock Hyundai picture,
Now this theory you speak of goes like this: The performance will increase with respect to heat dissipating in the opposite direction. As the rotor turns in a forward direction, the rotor "in theory" should release the the heat in the other direction as it is properly shown.... The theory is proven correctly. Here is an edited pic to describe what I am talking about, hopefully it helps...

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
The direction of the rotors has nothing to do with the direction of the drilled holes or slots. The holes and slots can go either way on non-directional rotors. There are advantages on slots to go either direction but that is a personal preference.

Directional rotors have to rotate a specific way because the internal vanes (vented rotors) that cool the rotor are in s specific direction to keep the rotor cool. Spinning them the wrong way causes them to overheat. However, the direction of the drilled holes and slots has nothing to do with it.

The direction of rotors is only important in vented rotors that are directional. They could be drilled only, slotted only, drilled and slotted or neither. It's the direction of the cooling vanes only.

There is no direction on solid (non-vented) rotors.

Again, the drilled holes have nothing to do with rotation direction. Either way is fine. Only the cooling vanes are important.

Slots can be debated because there are plusses and minuses for each way.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
apples and oranges my friend. drilled rotors and drilled slotted rotors

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The direction of the rotors has nothing to do with the direction of the drilled holes or slots. The holes and slots can go either way on non-directional rotors. There are advantages on slots to go either direction but that is a personal preference.

Directional rotors have to rotate a specific way because the internal vanes (vented rotors) that cool the rotor are in s specific direction to keep the rotor cool. Spinning them the wrong way causes them to overheat. However, the direction of the drilled holes and slots has nothing to do with it.

The direction of rotors is only important in vented rotors that are directional. They could be drilled only, slotted only, drilled and slotted or neither. It's the direction of the cooling vanes only.

There is no direction on solid (non-vented) rotors.

Again, the drilled holes have nothing to do with rotation direction. Either way is fine. Only the cooling vanes are important.

Slots can be debated because there are plusses and minuses for each way.
I 100% agree with you. If you're rotora have directional vanes (which are not common for the tib unless you go with a BBK), it doesn't matter which direction you install them.

The purpose of slots is to dissipate gases, not cool the rotors, so it doesn't matter. The purpose of the drilled holes is to weaken the rotor and look cool. OK maybe not really, but they don't provide much benefit on a OEM brake setup, except for causing less contact area for the brake pad, and eventually will develop small stress cracks which will weaken the rotor. Any cooling benefit you get from a cross-drilled OEM rotor is pretty much worthless.

As for an overall setup, I probably have one of the best balanced cars as far as power, suspension, and braking goes (at least one of the top 20 - toot toot), and my car will be road raced here within the next month hopefully. I purposely did not put cross-drilled rotors on my car because with extreme heating and cooling that a rotor goes through while road racing, they will only harm your performance, and weaken the rotor. But then again, most of you guys on here don't care about that, and will end up getting the drilled rotors anyway.

Now if you have a BBK, that is completely different. You have a bigger rotor diameter, hardened rotors, etc. But lets not get into that......

·
Banned
181 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
drilled/slotted makes no difference. The direction they are mounted, and the cooling effect has everything to do with directional/non-directional rotors, to which the tib has non-directional.

The way you can tell this is by looking at the little vanes in between the rotor faces. If they are curved, you have directional rotors, that will increase the cooling effect if mounted the proper direction. On the tib, those vanes are straight, which means that no matter which direction you mount them, it won't increase the cooling effect.

Curved vanes move air like this, so the correct direction makes a difference:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i meant the ones from blkonyeloowtib's

the reason i asked is because ou guys were saying that direction only matters for slotted rotors, but he DOES have sotted rotors, which confused me

i also have the same rotors, which is why i ask

·
Read Only
0 Posts
i meant the ones from blkonyeloowtib's

the reason i asked is because ou guys were saying that direction only matters for slotted rotors, but he DOES have sotted rotors, which confused me

i also have the same rotors, which is why i ask
No no no, we are saying that direction only really matters on rotors with directional vanes.

If you look at your rotors, it is not a solid piece of metal. There is a front contact area, and back contact area. In between is what are called vanes. These are used to allow air to travel between the rotor surfaces, and help cool them. There are two main types of vanes used:

Directional vanes are like the picture I posted above, The vanes inbetween the rotor surfaces are angled to help suck air from the center of the rotor (the wheel hub area) and push the air through the rotor to the outer edge. Because they are angled/directional, they are more efficient in moving the air through the rotor. However, because the vanes are all pointed a specific direction, you need to have them mounted on the correct side of the car to work properly.

Straight vanes, allow air to go through the rotors, but don't have any type of scooping effect like the directional vanes. Because there is no "scooping" effect, it doesn't really matter which way you mount them.

As far as the actual slots/cross-drilling, these can look directional based on the pattern and layout, but really, it doesn't make much of a difference which direction you mount them if you have non-directional rotors (with straight vanes). It won't make any real difference in cooling, or braking efficiency, it's more of what you prefer appearance wise.

As far as I know, there are no OEM replacement rotors for the tib that have directional vanes. At least I couldn't find any.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
yea ok,

i think i may have jst misread something up there.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
yea ok,

i think i may have jst misread something up there.
No, its a confusing topic. I remember the earlier debate also involved which way to mount the rotors to extend pad life. The argument was that when you have them where the inner part of the slot hits the pad first(like in the pic before), you will have a shorter life, whereas if you install so the outer side of the slot hits first, you will extend the life. Really, I doubt it makes a huge difference, and have seen it both ways. I personally have mine mounted opposite of how most people do, with my outer part of the slot hitting the pad first.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
No, its a confusing topic. I remember the earlier debate also involved which way to mount the rotors to extend pad life. The argument was that when you have them where the inner part of the slot hits the pad first(like in the pic before), you will have a shorter life, whereas if you install so the outer side of the slot hits first, you will extend the life. Really, I doubt it makes a huge difference, and have seen it both ways. I personally have mine mounted opposite of how most people do, with my outer part of the slot hitting the pad first.
so do i :p

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No no no, we are saying that direction only really matters on rotors with directional vanes.

If you look at your rotors, it is not a solid piece of metal. There is a front contact area, and back contact area. In between is what are called vanes. These are used to allow air to travel between the rotor surfaces, and help cool them. There are two main types of vanes used:

Directional vanes are like the picture I posted above, The vanes inbetween the rotor surfaces are angled to help suck air from the center of the rotor (the wheel hub area) and push the air through the rotor to the outer edge. Because they are angled/directional, they are more efficient in moving the air through the rotor. However, because the vanes are all pointed a specific direction, you need to have them mounted on the correct side of the car to work properly.

Straight vanes, allow air to go through the rotors, but don't have any type of scooping effect like the directional vanes. Because there is no "scooping" effect, it doesn't really matter which way you mount them.

As far as the actual slots/cross-drilling, these can look directional based on the pattern and layout, but really, it doesn't make much of a difference which direction you mount them if you have non-directional rotors (with straight vanes). It won't make any real difference in cooling, or braking efficiency, it's more of what you prefer appearance wise.

As far as I know, there are no OEM replacement rotors for the tib that have directional vanes. At least I couldn't find any.
you are 100% percent correct and this was all explained to me over the phone by the people who made them (Powerslot) therefore I am 100% sure they are correctly mounted...

I never said that all rotors had one correct direction to them, all I am saying is that "drilled" and "drilled and slotted" rotors have direction to them and that is what I guess is confusing a lot of people...

As for MoogLe, if you have my rotors or anything close to them as I described above, then you need to mount them as pictured. If you have regular OEM rotors, you can mount them any way you like :3_yes:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Well this thread has officially made me aware that although I put my front drilled/slotted rotors on correctly, the rears are on backwards (I had to check after reading this). I'm sure it doesn't hurt the overall performance much but damn does it bug me. I am one anal retentive SOB and the fact that all 4 aren't on the same way is gonna drive me nuts. I guess I'll have to find an opportune time to switch them, and until then try not to let it get to me.

Thanks a lot blkONyelwTIB...lol

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
you are 100% percent correct and this was all explained to me over the phone by the people who made them (Powerslot) therefore I am 100% sure they are correctly mounted...

I never said that all rotors had one correct direction to them, all I am saying is that "drilled" and "drilled and slotted" rotors have direction to them and that is what I guess is confusing a lot of people...

As for MoogLe, if you have my rotors or anything close to them as I described above, then you need to mount them as pictured. If you have regular OEM rotors, you can mount them any way you like :3_yes:
oh, i thought u had uneek rotors,

scratch that comment then :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts

See and thats where you are wrong. You can install the rotors either way, even if they are drilled or slotted. It will not make any diference performance wise. Yes they look better if the directional slots/drilling go the same direction as the wheel motion, but IT WONT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON COOLING OR PERFORMANCE. The ONLY thing that has a major impact on cooling (which is directly related to performance) is if you have directional rotors (like I described above) and you have installed those incorrectly.

Cross-drilling on an OEM replacement rotor does absolutely nothing for you. If anything it hurts your performance. Its more of an appearance type mod that only lowers the braking surface area by drilling all kinds of holes in it. And over time those holes will begin to crack, which puts the integrity of the rotors into question. Yes, some people says it helps to cool the rotors, but I doubt anyone on here is doing any serious road racing to the point where brake fade is becoming a factor. Most people here use their cars as a daily driver, so cross-drilling is pointless. If anything, its could be cooling the rotors down so much that its hurting your braking performance (brake pads have an optimal operating temperature you know). The only time cross-drilling would really be beneficial is if you were serious about road racing, because it might help cool the rotors and prevent brake fade. But even then, most serious amatuer road racers will only use slotted, because of the integrity factors associated with the cross-drilling.

If you really think there is a proper direction to mount your rotors, bring your car down here. I have slotted rotors, and according to you they are mounted backwards. If we did 10 braking tests, I bet my car would stop quicker than yours with drilled & slotted rotors every time.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Directional rotors = angled internal vanes = there is a correct mounting direction
Directional drilling/slots = appearance enhancement = you can mount either way and you won't have any performance difference.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Directional rotors = angled internal vanes = there is a correct mounting direction
Directional drilling/slots = appearance enhancement = you can mount either way and you won't have any performance difference.
Thank-you! That perfectly sums up you other lengthly but very informative post. Now Im off to buy some rotors/pads.

If only I simply read the last post first I coulda saved 5 min of reading ...lol

1 - 20 of 53 Posts