Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I've been searhing the forums and I still have a few questions. First off, with the stealth base kit will running 290's fatten me up enough to have a nice A/F mixture, like 12.5's. Second, is it possible to set the stealth up for a fmic? I just like fmics too much (I grew up on a 6 bolt 4G63 for pete's sake). And just to note I don't plan on upping the boost, but I do plan on upgrading the TB, IMs and whatnot. Oh and I probably won't be using a SAFC/Mafterburner, partly cus the area i live in a visible SAFC = instant ticket, and I know if I get a Mafterburner the urge for more boost will consume me or my wallet.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
the mafterburner can be hiden in your glovebox

and mine ran on the stock injectors at first, wih stock exahust and all

so i dont see why yours cant i duno if you can run it without a mafterburner or not youll have to ask ngm

but heck man, its a goooood effin kit

fmic, is gonna be hard as fook to do on it, i mean hell with enough money tho, anything is possible ;)

turbo FTW!!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
why a front mount... if you can have an ice box mounted up directly to it :3_confuse

the only reason I see you going with a FM is if you go custom...

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
Zaion said:
why a front mount... if you can have an ice box mounted up directly to it :3_confuse

the only reason I see you going with a FM is if you go custom...

i dont know, some people are weird, me being one, i still have a hard time wraping my mind around the icebox, its nice, and i like it, and i wouldnt mind having one, i just still have a hard time wraping my mind around it.. LOL

itd certainly be easier than going front mount, and depending on where you had custom work done for front mount, it might be cheaper

i mean some shops ive heard of chargeing like 3-4k just to do a few pipes on some cars

for all intents and purposes the icebox would be a better option :3_winkthu

but if you reallllly want fmic, nobody is gonna talk you out of it :3_wink:

at anyrate, if you want a good turbo kit, thats uber reliable, and streetable as all get out, i mean its like the car came stock with it

then ngm is where its at

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
^ I know the feeling

I got a FMI and I'm happier than a fat kid with cake... But I find the icebox, if not, any aquacooler, very effective. But then you got the visual aspect... lol

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
Zaion said:
^ I know the feeling

I got a FMI and I'm happier than a fat kid with cake... But I find the icebox, if not, any aquacooler, very effective. But then you got the visual aspect... lol

mmmmm cake :3_winkthu

·
Registered
956 Posts
wtf is wrong with you guys....the water-to-air performs btter than a front mount...if you want a FMIC just because you like how it "looks".... then you are a ricer.
the MAFterburner is not visible..it has no little **** screen or anything for people to see...and you do need it...

and on that note how can a fuel tuner get you a ticket but a huge FMIC won't......???

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In the city where I live the cops have a habbit of pulling over imports with any indication of aftermarket parts, namely exhausts. After that well we all know what happens in california, but here future harassment also follows, if they don't try to impound your car if the cop has a beef with you. Also there are enough SRT-4s running around along with a few evos that I'll be overlooked. And considering the FMIC the reason i like a FM more is that there is no water pump. Thats what worries me. Granted it should last the life of the car, but you know there is always that one person. And last time I checked intercoolers had no moving parts, and I am in no way contesting the efficiency of the icebox which owns.

·
Banned
312 Posts
mcdwf398 said:
wtf is wrong with you guys....the water-to-air performs btter than a front mount...if you want a FMIC just because you like how it "looks".... then you are a ricer.
the MAFterburner is not visible..it has no little **** screen or anything for people to see...and you do need it...

and on that note how can a fuel tuner get you a ticket but a huge FMIC won't......???
Um, they both serve the same purpose, one is just a little more efficient. Just because he wants the FMIC doesn't make him a ricer. Thats like saying, Borla exhuast is great, but if you get a magnaflow you're a ricer.

No logic.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
mcdwf398 said:

wtf is wrong with you?? they can use whatever form of boost cooling they choose

i personally have an ngm alchy kit, im debating the icebox, for a few reasons, i like my stage 3's and the ability to still run a strut bar

the pump thing, that used to be my concern, no longer, i talked to ngm about that, and the pump its a nice pump, i mean id be fine witht hat if i had some kinda indicator, be it an IAT guage, or a light that showed the pump was dead

but my thing is im moving to NC, where the car is gonna sit for periods, in 20 degreen or so weather, without being used, and i dont want to have to drain and re-fill all the time or anything special for the cold

and ask ngm, there are some applications where fmic, would be better, then there are also some where the icebox is better

it just all depends on what you prefer

the icebox, is a nice peice of equipment, and its good ****ing quality anyway you look at it

and its efficiant as all ****ing get out

but maybe not evryone wants that?? maybe they want the look of the fmic, they like that, it still is a boost cooler.. it still performs quite well, and does its job, i dont see how thatd make someone a ricer :3_frusty:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point about the freezing, here in oregon, we get that fun weather that you get over in NC too. Hmm maybe for all intents and purposes I should just bet a base sniper and get every little toy before i add boost. And then have to worry about cooling, wait freezing. My area is notorious for black ice and 20's durring winter at night.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
GDL said:
Good point about the freezing, here in oregon, we get that fun weather that you get over in NC too. Hmm maybe for all intents and purposes I should just bet a base sniper and get every little toy before i add boost. And then have to worry about cooling, wait freezing. My area is notorious for black ice and 20's durring winter at night.

eww black ice FTL

yea we have bad ice storms in NC too

·
Registered
956 Posts
GTea said:
Um, they both serve the same purpose, one is just a little more efficient. Just because he wants the FMIC doesn't make him a ricer. Thats like saying, Borla exhuast is great, but if you get a magnaflow you're a ricer.

No logic.
no it isn't....he wants a FMIC because of the way it looks...

with a FMIC you will lose on average 2 psi of boost....you will have nasty turbo lag...and you arn't cooling the intake charge as efficiently....which could lead to detonation....the icebow performs better pluse it has a 2 gal. tank you can actually fill with ice for runs at the track....

please explain to me how that is like 2 different exhausts....all exhaust systems for our car preform the same (with 1-2 hp of each other) so that is really a mater of price and sound...with the exception of the seoulful racing (or whatever it is called) 3" exhaust...if someone were to buy that with an NA car just because it is a 3", which i have been seeing people do, then i would have to say that is very ricer also. Because you will not have enough back pressure on an NA motor....

Please learn what you are talkign about before you try to criticize a valid point....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Speck said:
wtf is wrong with you?? they can use whatever form of boost cooling they choose

i personally have an ngm alchy kit, im debating the icebox, for a few reasons, i like my stage 3's and the ability to still run a strut bar

the pump thing, that used to be my concern, no longer, i talked to ngm about that, and the pump its a nice pump, i mean id be fine witht hat if i had some kinda indicator, be it an IAT guage, or a light that showed the pump was dead

but my thing is im moving to NC, where the car is gonna sit for periods, in 20 degreen or so weather, without being used, and i dont want to have to drain and re-fill all the time or anything special for the cold

and ask ngm, there are some applications where fmic, would be better, then there are also some where the icebox is better

it just all depends on what you prefer

the icebox, is a nice peice of equipment, and its good ****ing quality anyway you look at it

and its efficiant as all ****ing get out

but maybe not evryone wants that?? maybe they want the look of the fmic, they like that, it still is a boost cooler.. it still performs quite well, and does its job, i dont see how thatd make someone a ricer :3_frusty:
speck you of all people have been around long enough to know that the alky and icebox are not in the same category...they don't acomplise the same thing....the icebox is for cooling the intake charge....the alcohol is to up the octane of your fuel....while it does have some cooling properties they are minimal.

as for the cold weather...you can run a water and antifreeze combination through your icebox, just like you do in the radiatior....guess waht antifreeze doesn't freeze....

honestly if you want a FMIC then go for it....the plumbign willl be hard to do and you will have turbo lag and boost, pluse not as good cooling and no way to super cool the tank for drag racing....if that is worth it to you for how a FMIC looks then more power to you....

and it only makes you a ricer if you are doing something that hinders performance (which it soes compared to the icebox) for looks...which is what he and you are suggensting...since i just told you haw to sollve the freezing thing.....

good luck

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
mcdwf398 said:
speck you of all people have been around long enough to know that the alky and icebox are not in the same category...they don't acomplise the same thing....the icebox is for cooling the intake charge....the alcohol is to up the octane of your fuel....while it does have some cooling properties they are minimal.

as for the cold weather...you can run a water and antifreeze combination through your icebox, just like you do in the radiatior....guess waht antifreeze doesn't freeze....

honestly if you want a FMIC then go for it....the plumbign willl be hard to do and you will have turbo lag and boost, pluse not as good cooling and no way to super cool the tank for drag racing....if that is worth it to you for how a FMIC looks then more power to you....

and it only makes you a ricer if you are doing something that hinders performance (which it soes compared to the icebox) for looks...which is what he and you are suggensting...since i just told you haw to sollve the freezing thing.....

good luck
im not really sugessting anything, so bite my *** LOL

and i find it amazing, that fmic's cause so much lag and boost pule, youd think that woulda come up sometime during the YEARS theyve been useing them, and that people would say, hmm well these cause this and that, soo lets not use them anymore!!!!

and i KNOW that the alcohol is for octane boost

but as an added side effect, YES it cools the charge

why are were stateing the ****ing obvious here?!?!

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
mcdwf398 said:
no it isn't....he wants a FMIC because of the way it looks...

with a FMIC you will lose on average 2 psi of boost....you will have nasty turbo lag...and you arn't cooling the intake charge as efficiently....which could lead to detonation....the icebow performs better pluse it has a 2 gal. tank you can actually fill with ice for runs at the track....

please explain to me how that is like 2 different exhausts....all exhaust systems for our car preform the same (with 1-2 hp of each other) so that is really a mater of price and sound...with the exception of the seoulful racing (or whatever it is called) 3" exhaust...if someone were to buy that with an NA car just because it is a 3", which i have been seeing people do, then i would have to say that is very ricer also. Because you will not have enough back pressure on an NA motor....

Please learn what you are talkign about before you try to criticize a valid point....
ypou will not loose 2 psi of boost, christ, thatd be one **** *** fmic

.2 psi maybe

POINT 2

but 2? not a chance in hell unless your fmic is the size of a buick, and a shity design... you arent going to have that much boost drop

jesus

again talk to NGM.. tim will tell you, there are some applications where an air-air will perform just as well, or in some instances better than a water-air

i duno seems like some of your info on air-air intercoolers is slightly off

·
Registered
956 Posts
Speck said:
im not really sugessting anything, so bite my *** LOL

and i find it amazing, that fmic's cause so much lag and boost pule, youd think that woulda come up sometime during the YEARS theyve been useing them, and that people would say, hmm well these cause this and that, soo lets not use them anymore!!!!

and i KNOW that the alcohol is for octane boost

but as an added side effect, YES it cools the charge

why are were stateing the ****ing obvious here?!?!
well it may be obvious to us but most of the newer tib owners on here don't know much about cars or the mechanics and physics of how all this stuff works....

and yes on average a FMIC causes boost to drop 2psi....so some research...I don't feel like finding the info again but it has been discussed on the forums before.

you have the alcohol thing backwards unless i read that wrong not sure, what you meant....it is used to raise octane....the small amount of cooling it does is the side benefit...call TC and ask him, if you don't believe me. So it really is not comparable to an intercooler. For say 8 psi on the stealth you could use one or the other (although Tim recommends the alky first)...but anything above that and you need both cooler charge and the octane.

and the reason FMIC are so popular is because they are so easy to put into a setup....you don't have and moving parts and the same mass produced intercooler design can be used on many, many applications...while designing a water-to-air intercooler requires designing and buildign specific manifolds and heat exchangers for each application....

and as far as the lag thing goes they are coming up with some ideas....none of them can really make up for having to fill all that piping before you get the air to the motor but they help....

Porsche (I think), is developing a turbo that uses an electric motor to keep the turbine spooled between shifts so when you get back on it the turbine is already at the disired RPM. and BMW (again i think) has a design that uses a valve in the turbo that effectvly makes the houseign smaller...which causes higher exhaust velocity and hence spools the turbo quicker..when you get spooled the valve then opens and the housing gets larger allowing more air flow and higher rpm and flow...leading to more boost.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Speck said:
again talk to NGM.. tim will tell you, there are some applications where an air-air will perform just as well, or in some instances better than a water-air

i duno seems like some of your info on air-air intercoolers is slightly off
none of my info is off...i don't comment if i am not sure what i am saying is correct...and when i do i say i'm not sure....and i talk to Tim almost everyday....i would go nuts if i talked to him anymore...(just kiding TC, you know we love you) :3_worship

of course there are applications where the air-to-air would work as well...like an endurance or road racing car...where you always have high volumes of high speed air blowing across the intercooler... but the water-to-air would work as well in these cases. but on a daily driven or drag car where you sit at lights and drive slow half the time or have to sit in the staging lanes...the water-to-air is a far better choice....

there is the idea that FMIC are the way to go...i'm not sure where it comes from but the reason they are popular is like i said in the last post....pro drag racers never use them they are always liquid-to-air...and they shouldn't be used on a street car for the same reasons.

what it really comes down to is this: the icebox will perform noticable and significantly better, not only because it is water-to-air but also because of the niftfy ice tank TC designed into the system. it performs so much beter that TC decided to scrap the FMIC option he was going to make just because so many people were *****ing that they wanted one because they look cool...the performance differences were significant enough that the FMIC wasn't worth making.

now don't get me wrong i love the way a fat intercooler looks and i think the tib (especially the 05+ bumber would look great with one...but that look is not worth the performance gain from the icebox....plus it is great to have people come ask what that silver box peaking out the side of the bumber is....

1 - 20 of 79 Posts