Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 443 Posts

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and a friend decided to sea foam my car the other day, and what a DIFFERENCE. I've heard of the stuff forever, but I've never used it. Basically it's just a carbon eliminator liquid in a can. It more or less steam cleans your engine, cleans your valves, cylinder heads, flushes your injectors....gets rid of all that carbon build up. First, warm up your engine, then turn it off. Have one person take the vacuum hose off the brake booster, and stick his thumb over the hose. Open can. Have the second person start the car. First person will then quickly insert the hose into the can so to induct the cleaner into the intake system. The car will want to stall while it sucks the sea foam down, so the person inside the car will want to give it some gas. After the can is empty, shut the car off. Reconnect hose. Wait 5 minutes. Then restart the car and drive it on the road...because it will smoke...A LOT. After about 5 minutes of smoking, the engine will have run the sea foam through and you will be able to notice a huge difference in throttle response and acceleration. The can costs under $6 from an auto parts store and takes 10 mins to do. This is what jiffy lube and the dealer turn into $80 using weaker stuff.

HIGHLY recommended!

EDIT: I see seafoam going for roughly $9-10 per can now.

·
NewTiburon.com Legend
1,871 Posts
Re: Sea Foam for a clean engine!

Do you need to change your oil afterwards? I've been wanting to do this, however... I JUST changed my oil and don't want it to somehow foul up my oil.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

TNT said:
Me and a friend decided to sea foam my car the other day, and what a DIFFERENCE. I've heard of the stuff forever, but I've never used it. Basically it's just a carbon eliminator liquid in a can. It more or less steam cleans your engine, cleans your valves, cylinder heads, flushes your injectors....gets rid of all that carbon build up. First, warm up your engine, then turn it off. Have one person take the vacuum hose off the brake booster, and stick his thumb over the hose. Open can. Have the second person start the car. First person will then quickly insert the hose into the can so to induct the cleaner into the fuel system. The car will want to stall while it sucks the sea foam down, so the person inside the car will want to give it some gas. After the can is empty, shut the car off. Reconnect hose. Wait 5 minutes. Then restart the car and drive it on the road...because it will smoke...A LOT. After about 5 minutes of smoking, the engine will have run the sea foam through and you will be able to notice a huge difference in throttle response and acceleration. The can costs under $6 from an auto parts store and takes 10 mins to do. This is what jiffy lube and the dealer turn into $80 using weaker stuff.

HIGHLY recommended!

sounds good, except you DO NOT want to get on the road whatso ever. Not only will you be pulled over if a cop sees you, but you put every single person driving around you, especially behind you, in danger. just sit in your driveway/parking lot and rev it until its done, like they do at jiffy lube.

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Tuscani GK said:
Do you need to change your oil afterwards? I've been wanting to do this, however... I JUST changed my oil and don't want it to somehow foul up my oil.
Nope, it starts burning off carbon as soon as you add it, and it goes right out the exhaust. You can actually add some to your oil fill if you'd like.

·
AKA TidalWaveTiburon
768 Posts

xFloggingkylex said:
sounds good, except you DO NOT want to get on the road whatso ever. Not only will you be pulled over if a cop sees you, but you put every single person driving around you, especially behind you, in danger. just sit in your driveway/parking lot and rev it until its done, like they do at jiffy lube.
Yes...Yes you will be pulled over, I should know it happened to me last year doing the samething. I did it on my Mustang, and figured a ride around the block would be good. Boy was that a mistake half way around I see flashing lights in my rear view mirror, yup I got pulled over, because the cop thought my car was on fire. After I explained to him what I had done and all I got lectured on how it isnt safe because of the amount of smoke it gives off and it could cause other drivers problems. Then he went on to tell me that he could give me an endangerment ticket, but he was cool about it and didnt give me one. This stuff does work awesome, but please dont drive, just do what was said above and rev your engine in your driveway

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If you can do it on backroads or somewhere where there aren't a lot of cops, it would be much better to drive it around rather than sit your car at 4k rpms in neutral for 5 minutes, wouldn't ya say?

·
Registered
177 Posts

sounds great except I remember on the Lexus forums a bunch of people had complaints after running it through their ES300's - I just don't remember what they were up in arms about...sounds good though. The brake booster is up by the firewall, driver side right? J/W never had to mess with it.

·
Rool : Pron Spammer
4,096 Posts

How does Seafoam flush the injectors if it goes through your air induction system? I'd probably go with a cleaner like BG44K.

·
Rool : Pron Spammer
4,096 Posts

fleishelja said:
you can put it in your gas tank and it acts as an injector cleaner too... but the way he did it, it wont do anything for your injectors
That's what I thought. I was just going off what he wrote.

I know there are followers of SeaFoam, I just happen to be a BG44K fan.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

TNT said:
If you can do it on backroads or somewhere where there aren't a lot of cops, it would be much better to drive it around rather than sit your car at 4k rpms in neutral for 5 minutes, wouldn't ya say?
and why is that? your engine is revved either way, except the safe way doesn't involve wear and tear on your transmission or tires. and you dont have to keep it reved a one place, just rev it like you're showing it off.

·
Registered
867 Posts

xFloggingkylex said:
and why is that? your engine is revved either way, except the safe way doesn't involve wear and tear on your transmission or tires. and you dont have to keep it reved a one place, just rev it like you're showing it off.
I dont know about newer engines but old engines revving the engine without a load on it certainly isnt good.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

all Im saying is for the little bit of time it would take to rev in your driveway or wherever you add this stuff at would be better than getting on the road with a huge cloud of smoke behind you. besides, this is how they do it at the lube center, they tell you to just sit there and rev it a little until it stops smoking.

·
Registered
335 Posts

SEA FOAM is a decent product I have probably used it for about 10 years now, and never had a negative reaction from it. Not only can you use it through vacuum lines to clean out your intake, but you can also add it to your crank case oil as a more thorough cleaning, if you put it in your gas tank it will clean your injectors and intake exhaust valves. Either way it’s a decent product for the money.

·
Registered
666 Posts

this is funny, I've never heard of this product...and it actually works that well?...haha...Somehow that's amusing to me...
...any canadians know where we can get this?...I'ma buy cases of this stuff...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

yup i know the mr2 guys love this stuff and ive heard nothing but great things about it . when my car gets old i plan on using it .

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

How does this relate to those complete fuel system cleaners? And if you use SeaFoam as described above, is it safe to also use the fuel system cleaner (cause the fuel system cleaners certainly don't cause great clouds of black smoke to billow out your exhaust)?

How does the thick black smoke not foul up your O2 sensors, ruin your catalytic converter(s), etc... it just doesn't sound like the best idea or a necessary action.

1 - 20 of 443 Posts