Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all,

Just replaced my timing belt and water pump on my 07 SE a couple days ago, and after filling radiator with coolant and running the car to get it through the block, I never saw the coolant rushing through the radiator under the radiator cap. Car was up to temp and even after driving for 20 minutes, temps never exceeded normal (just below half on the temp gauge). I have checked the coolant every day and it has remained full since i topped it up yesterday. Temps have remained normal since the timing belt change. I have a big trip coming up from Kansas to New Mexico, so just wanted to ask if any of y'all have experienced this, or if i should even worry about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello! I think that it is not possible to see it, that is, if you have a thermostat it opens at a temperature in which it would not be possible to remove the radiator cap due to the water pressure, in other words you could only see this effect if you did not have a thermostat, if the temperatures are normal and you don't lose coolant possibly everything is in order, have a good trip!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The coolant doesn't really "rush through" and I don't really like running the engine up to temp with the cap off anyway. Just top it up, squeeze both hoses for awhile to release any air bubbles, and keep the overflow topped up for a couple days and you should be fine. Since you're seeing normal temps while driving you should be ok. Air bubbles will usually cause the temp to go up for a bit or while sitting still then they go back down while moving or when the bubble circulates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this same issue a bit after I did my timing belt and water pump. The old radiator only showed the swooshing after I revved it up to 3k rpm.

I put a new radiator in and I saw the water swooshing right at idle exactly as it’s supposed to.
I assume the old radiator got clogged over time or something like that. Not only that but my temps ran cooler too and it wasn’t getting hot either.

Another way to test it is remove the thermostat and reinstall it with no thermostat. I’m going to put a 150F thermostat so the engine runs cooler and opens up earlier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts