Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im thinkin bout guttin my precats, if thats even possible, think i could still pass the sniffer? or do you think it might be to much of a risk if getting caught or the gains would be negligble, i would be putting non-foulers on the secondary o2 sensors in the manifolds. It just bothers me the fact that if i go F/I the temperatures that are already astronomical will only become even worse making the engine at more of a risk of detonating and grenading.

How much Hp/Heatsoak am i actually losing by leaving the stockers on.
How bad is it for the vehicle to Leave this on while putting a sniper/alpine on?
My goal is 250whp, and at least a mid-low 13 second 1/4 mile. How much hp is actually needed for about a 13.1?
I have an exhaust shop guy that can weld my precats on to a set of aftermarket headers but Will that completely negate my gains, and that will still be carb illegal wont it?
Once again :3_fyou This stupid state and its damn carb nazis :3_plzdie: Smog Nazis

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have an exhaust shop guy that can weld my precats on to a set of aftermarket headers but Will that completely negate my gains, and that will still be carb illegal wont it?
No don't do that. If you get aftermarket headers you only need 1 cat, there are 3 on there stock,,,1 on each manifold/header and there is one in-line before the mufflers,,,,,the one in-line before the mufflers is the only one that you need to pass inspection. I believe as long as you have documentation that your mods are carb legal then you won't have any problems,,,,so keep all of your "mod" papers in your glove box,,,like the header carb#,,,,alpine/assasin carb#,,,,,they'll be included with your box of purchase.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Im almost positive that no headers for the V6 are carb legal. You would have to put your stock headers on each time you need to get sniffed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brodeurman69 said:
Im almost positive that no headers for the V6 are carb legal. You would have to put your stock headers on each time you need to get sniffed.
no what i meant was will the emissions be to high without the precats! lol if i gut the precats it will pass visual but will it pass the sniffer? how much do the precats actually scrub the exhaust

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
The pre-cats mainly function at start-up when the main cat is cold. You shouldn't have problems on an emissions test as long as your main cat is up to operating temperature.

That being said, I'm not sure about California's very strict emissions laws. Here in Texas if your car fails an emissions test it just means that you didn't pay the emissions tester enough. :3_wink:

"My car failed the test? Oh... <hands over $20> ... are you sure?"

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Bakerking31 said:
the possibility of not passing is not worth the small gains from gutting them
Says the man whos putting on headers...It would be worth gutting them to keep the underhood temperatures down when i go F/I, i do not want to blow my engine block because the cats are clogging the crap outa the engine, and putting headers is a bigger risk because its blatantly disregarding emissions, i mean its super obvious theres no cats there, at least if they are gutted its alot less suspicious. The only reason i want to gut them is because of underhood temperatures. Also doesnt it drop boost, doesnt less boost on the block mean easier on the engine

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Yes you will pass emissions. without the precats.
No, you will not pass the visual if they see the anti-foulers or the MIL is on from not using the anti-foulers because of course removing the precats are not legal.

If you must have headers, knowing they are illegal, I actually think you should have the shop weld the precats on the aftermarket headers. You will still see gains over the stock manifolds, even with adding the cats.

It is not worth the hassle of removing/reinstalling everything every time you have to smog. Rethink your purpose for the car, as suggested before, or get something else.

ViolentB, no headers are carb-legal for the tiburon and the alpine stage 0/1 is the only carb legal f/i kit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
c-man said:
Yes you will pass emissions. without the precats.
No, you will not pass the visual if they see the anti-foulers or the MIL is on from not using the anti-foulers because of course removing the precats are not legal.

If you must have headers, knowing they are illegal, I actually think you should have the shop weld the precats on the aftermarket headers. You will still see gains over the stock manifolds, even with adding the cats.

It is not worth the hassle of removing/reinstalling everything every time you have to smog. Rethink your purpose for the car, as suggested before, or get something else.

ViolentB, no headers are carb-legal for the tiburon and the alpine stage 0/1 is the only carb legal f/i kit.
crap i forgot they will check for non-foulers LOL i thought i had them fooled by putting them in and guttin the cats doh! well thats super ultra ***, i guess my tiburon dreams have been shattered by the carb nazis :3_frown: :3_nooo:

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Vidfinnx said:
Says the man whos putting on headers...It would be worth gutting them to keep the underhood temperatures down when i go F/I, i do not want to blow my engine block because the cats are clogging the crap outa the engine, and putting headers is a bigger risk because its blatantly disregarding emissions, i mean its super obvious theres no cats there, at least if they are gutted its alot less suspicious. The only reason i want to gut them is because of underhood temperatures. Also doesnt it drop boost, doesnt less boost on the block mean easier on the engine

yes, i am getting headers, but when i have to smog, i plan on putting back on my stock headers, 10 hours of work for a year of headers, (or is it 2 inbetween smoggings? i dont remember) either way ill take it.

if you go FI, then the highest you will be able to go is stage 1 from alpine, (if you want to keep it legal) in which case, the low levels of boost will not hurt your engine, and the stock headers will do fine (again if you want to stay legal). if i were you, i would find someone who has done headers before, get headers with a highflow cat, this will be better for FI, you will not have to smog your vehicle for like 5-7 years or somethin like that since its a 06, then if you still own the car, then put the stockers back on, or find a smog shop that will take ..... extra incentives to pass you (if you know what i mean ... if not ... $$).

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bakerking31 said:
yes, i am getting headers, but when i have to smog, i plan on putting back on my stock headers, 10 hours of work for a year of headers, (or is it 2 inbetween smoggings? i dont remember) either way ill take it.

if you go FI, then the highest you will be able to go is stage 1 from alpine, (if you want to keep it legal) in which case, the low levels of boost will not hurt your engine, and the stock headers will do fine (again if you want to stay legal). if i were you, i would find someone who has done headers before, get headers with a highflow cat, this will be better for FI, you will not have to smog your vehicle for like 5-7 years or somethin like that since its a 06, then if you still own the car, then put the stockers back on, or find a smog shop that will take ..... extra incentives to pass you (if you know what i mean ... if not ... $$).
well i only plan on running stage 1 with a little bit of stage 2, my goal is 250whp and not harming my engine, i would like a 13 second tib, Hey but a question what happens if u get busted and have to pop your hood and they see them headers???? or are u planning to register in another state since ur military :)

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Vidfinnx said:
well i only plan on running stage 1 with a little bit of stage 2, my goal is 250whp and not harming my engine, i would like a 13 second tib, Hey but a question what happens if u get busted and have to pop your hood and they see them headers???? or are u planning to register in another state since ur military :)
well, ... **** happens lol, they will give me a ticket, i will put my stockers back on, go show it to the inspecter, put the DC's back on lol, i am in the military, but im from CA, so i cant register it in a diff state. also i plan on tryin to keep my car a bit quiet, i dont like to attract attention that im modded, hense i have a borla exhaust, and im puttin a cat on my headers. if i still think its too loud i can get a resonator or somethin to quiet it down

AJ (fixer) is at 250whp, hes got alpine stage 1 with IHE and tuner, not sure on what else exactly is done, and not sure what he runs in the quarter.

i was also thinking i may try to find a way of attaching my stock heat shield in the front with my aftermarket headers, if i can do this, the cops wont be able to see the headers unless they get under the car, which they arent gonna do unless there really set on gettin ya on somethin.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bakerking31 said:
well, ... **** happens lol, they will give me a ticket, i will put my stockers back on, go show it to the inspecter, put the DC's back on lol, i am in the military, but im from CA, so i cant register it in a diff state. also i plan on tryin to keep my car a bit quiet, i dont like to attract attention that im modded, hense i have a borla exhaust, and im puttin a cat on my headers. if i still think its too loud i can get a resonator or somethin to quiet it down

AJ (fixer) is at 250whp, hes got alpine stage 1 with IHE and tuner, not sure on what else exactly is done, and not sure what he runs in the quarter.

i was also thinking i may try to find a way of attaching my stock heat shield in the front with my aftermarket headers, if i can do this, the cops wont be able to see the headers unless they get under the car, which they arent gonna do unless there really set on gettin ya on somethin.
yeah im an attention whore i really need to get my exhaust quieted down LOL but i love that its ultra loud and Low backpressure ftw!! i have no mufflers, only a resonator, low end is crap but dude high end is amazing LOL the car pulls really hard at like 3k rpms, it feels like Vtak almost!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
lol i talked to a muffler shop in my town thats down the street today, they said they wouldnt put a highflow cat on my headers because they wont touch my car cause the headers arent legal, its ok though, cause there are pleanty of other shops that will

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bakerking31 said:
lol i talked to a muffler shop in my town thats down the street today, they said they wouldnt put a highflow cat on my headers because they wont touch my car cause the headers arent legal, its ok though, cause there are pleanty of other shops that will
Rofl yep! $$$ FTW!! LOL theres always someone willing to take it

·
Registered
898 Posts
250whp with radials will net you low 13's if you can drive.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Vidfinnx said:
Im thinkin bout guttin my precats, if thats even possible, think i could still pass the sniffer? or do you think it might be to much of a risk if getting caught or the gains would be negligble, i would be putting non-foulers on the secondary o2 sensors in the manifolds. It just bothers me the fact that if i go F/I the temperatures that are already astronomical will only become even worse making the engine at more of a risk of detonating and grenading.

How much Hp/Heatsoak am i actually losing by leaving the stockers on.
How bad is it for the vehicle to Leave this on while putting a sniper/alpine on?
My goal is 250whp, and at least a mid-low 13 second 1/4 mile. How much hp is actually needed for about a 13.1?
Once again :3_fyou This stupid state and its damn carb nazis :3_plzdie: Smog Nazis
- jsut replace them when you get the money...unless you are really worried about emissions. If that is the case then buy the alpine not the sniper, assasin or turbo...as the alpine has a carb exeption and is 50 state legal....
- not bad at all you will run a lb or two higher boost and make slightly less power from the restriction...no biggy though
- depends on the setup....on the alpine....around 280...with the same power the assasin runs in the 12s though.....
- no it won't be....that is modify the stock emissions equipment...and ....if you just gutted them though it would be hard for anyone to know you messed with it.

basically in Cali (or other Nazi states) you are better of with the Alpine S/C. stage 1 will put you just over 200 whp....alpine also sells a stage 2 upgrade (while not as benefical as NGMs upgrades) it should throw you up to 250+ whp. and on drag tires or at least radials you should be able to get into the mid 13s at least.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts