Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first DIY so if i made mistakes or something wrong don't flame me please. As you probably all saw in the i4 performance sub forum, there is an excellent thread made by Tuscanirider (http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138182) and in that thread they talk about bypassing the coolant that runs through your throttle body to make your intake air even colder, however i have not found any existing DIY for this "mod" so i decide this was a great opportunity for me to give back a portion of what i have learned back to this forum, so i did this DIY.

Here it goes, first off these are the tools i used:

10mm socket
socket wrench
flat head screwdriver
long nose pliers
square nose pliers
2 pairs of vice grips

you could use different tools, use whatever you feel like you will need lol.

first, i took my air intake off of the throttle body to have more space to work with, i also took off the hose for the back pressure.

then i took some good old zip ties to tie down my intake piping out of the way

then i crimped down one of the two coolant hose so the coolant wouldn't squirt around, but i think this was useless, i did the same thing when i took off the other hose but like i said you don't need to do this

then i used the square nose pliers to take the clamp circled in red from the section circled in blue to where it is at right now

then i took the hose off using my flat head screw driver like so

here you can see the two hose circled in red, i already took off the one in left in this pic, this is not far from the throttle body, maybe 5-6inches

then i took the hose that still had an end attached on the throttle body and attached the other end of this same hose on the other plugin of the throttle body, just so the dust doesn't clog the coolants passage

this is the other hose, i just did the same trick as for the hose in the previous image, except that this one is on the bigger coolant hoses

i had taken another pic of the engine when i had put back the intake in, but i cant find that picture and you all know what it looks like.

When you look at DIYs you have trouble distinguishing what is what, but as soon as you try, you ll see its easy as pie, i would give this mod a 3 out of 10 for difficulty just because i have huge hands and you have to work with tight spaces for this mod, that is why you should clear everything around to get as much space as you can to work with.

ENJOY YOUR EXTRA 0.08WHP AND MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PEEL THE RUBBER RIGHT OFF YOUR TIRES AFTER YOU DID THIS MOD!!! lol

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Re: DIY: Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

So, what exactly does this do?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

coolant runs through your throttle body for the winter time to keep it from sticking. when you bypass it, it makes the incoming air cooler. which gives you like .00003 HP lol

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

You also need to do this if you have an aftermarket manifold. The coolant lines are too short any movement will cause them to unhook and leak coolant if you're not careful.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

omg thank you i was wonder WTF and were those 2 hoses went
lol no problem man, i forgot i had even done this diy, and dont be afraid to tackle it on your own its really easy if you have small hands and it should take more than 30mins lol:3_nosthum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts