Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 03 6 speed and I'm installing a new clutch. Does the new throw-out bearing have to be snapped onto the pressure plate before installation or does it snap in place by itself? I slid the throw-out bearing over the fork, mounted the pressure plate to the flywheel and closed it up. Now I'm wondering if the throw-out bearing snapped to the PP?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I dodged a bullet (from removing the tranny again)! I tried to push the clutch lever (metal splined lever that mounts over the fork rod) back to engage the throw-out bear...no luck as it has a "foot" that limits its travel in the reverse direction. I removed the lever and mounted it upside down, this afforded me more travel in the reverse direction and I heard a snap sound which I believe was the throw-out bearing snapping onto the pressure plate. Now flipping the lever back to its normal position, I now feel resistance when I actuate the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
You are correct, the throw out bearings in our cars are pull type, and you did exactly what was needed to be done in order for it to be correct - some just put the throw out in there and then think it will snap when you push on the pedal, that actually pulls the throw out away from the clutch - so by turning the lever over and pushing instead of pulling, it is not engaged

·
Registered
843 Posts
Im going to be doing this soon my self. And maybe its just because I havent seen it in front of me visualy. I cant really see what you guys are saying ? I know the tib is a pull type system. But how do you exactly snap the bearing into the pressure plate ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The center of the pressure plate has a snap ring installed and the throw-out bearing has a lip that clips into the snap ring. I thought about snapping the throw-out bearing onto the pressure plate first, but it looked to me like the "clutch fork" features on the clutch actuation rod would not engage...still not sure??? Anyway my trick worked; didn't see anything in the Hyundai Service Manual discussing this. The Service Manual even has a diagram of a traditional clutch fork, the V6 6 speed has a rotating rod setup!!!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Orlean said:
Im going to be doing this soon my self. And maybe its just because I havent seen it in front of me visualy. I cant really see what you guys are saying ? I know the tib is a pull type system. But how do you exactly snap the bearing into the pressure plate ?

Normally, on a conventional clutch setup, the throw out bearing floats in a fork, and when you press on the clutch pedal, it push against the splines of the pressure plate and releases the clutch.

On the tib, the throw out is suspended on 2 fork rods, and is snapped in to the splines, so in all aspects, is part of the pressure plate, so when you press on the pedal, it pulls the splines to release the clutch -

So, if you do not understand how it works, and think it works like a conventional clutch, you press on the clutch to release the clutch, but in reality, you are pulling the throw out away from the clutch.. and your clutch doesn't work... many a tranny has come back out because people did not understand how it worked.. because for decades, they functioned the other way.

So, put the throw out on the fork, put it back together - and then turn the actuator rod over and push instead of pull, and the throw out snaps in to place and becomes part of the pressure plate.. it now works. Also, for those going with a stage 3 or better clutch on a lightened flywheel, be prepared for it not to shift properly... And sometimes, it will not even go in to gear while the engine is running - this is only temporary, start the car with it in gear and the clutch pressed in and drive it around for a few miles shifting as much as possible in the lower gears.. that will loosen it all up

·
Registered
412 Posts
UnHolyTib said:
Normally, on a conventional clutch setup, the throw out bearing floats in a fork, and when you press on the clutch pedal, it push against the splines of the pressure plate and releases the clutch.

On the tib, the throw out is suspended on 2 fork rods, and is snapped in to the splines, so in all aspects, is part of the pressure plate, so when you press on the pedal, it pulls the splines to release the clutch -

So, if you do not understand how it works, and think it works like a conventional clutch, you press on the clutch to release the clutch, but in reality, you are pulling the throw out away from the clutch.. and your clutch doesn't work... many a tranny has come back out because people did not understand how it worked.. because for decades, they functioned the other way.

So, put the throw out on the fork, put it back together - and then turn the actuator rod over and push instead of pull, and the throw out snaps in to place and becomes part of the pressure plate.. it now works. Also, for those going with a stage 3 or better clutch on a lightened flywheel, be prepared for it not to shift properly... And sometimes, it will not even go in to gear while the engine is running - this is only temporary, start the car with it in gear and the clutch pressed in and drive it around for a few miles shifting as much as possible in the lower gears.. that will loosen it all up

thank you unholy for your pm. so, the "not shifting properly in the beginning" doesnt apply to stage 2?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm pretty sure my throwout bearing had some issues. I've been hearing a rather loud clicking noise that would go away whenever I engaged the clutch. According to the people I've talked to, thats a common sign of a bad throwout bearing.

Anyways, my car is in the shop right now. I plan to get a CM stage 3 and the fidanza flywheel...just waiting on the shop to call me. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are you guys reusing your stock throwout bearings or have you purchased new ones? DId you go with oem or aftermarket? Also do all of the 2003+ tibs use the same bearing? Or is there a difference between the years?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
when you buy a clutch kit it normally comes with one. if not get one from the dealer. ive never heard of an aftermarket throwout bearing, but then again im no clutch guru.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts