Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a new Tib. Just wondering how does it do in the snow? I'm assuming that since it's FWD it should do alright? I currently have a RWD Z/28, and when it snows it's best to just leave that thing in my garage 'cause it slides all over the place. I've had other FWD vehicles that would plow right through snow like a tank. So I'm real curious to know how the Tib will be. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an 03 tib, 6spd. Drove it through two winters now and I hate it. Maybe it's the 6spd but having to start in 2nd/3rd gear to keep the tires from spinning sucks, and then when I do get going I still seem to have traction issues with any incline. I grew up in northern MI too where snow stays on the roads for months at a time... I've seen tibs from AK/Canada on here maybe they have a better perspective. I bought snow tires for this current winter, and so far I still don't like it. I'm in CO though and our snow doesn't stick, so when we have 6+ inches or snow packed roads I take my jeep cause I know that the next day after a snowstorm the roads will be cleared and ready for the tib again. (snow doesn't stick where I'm at in CO) My .02

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think it's all up to the driver & what they like. i mean mine handles well in snow, but I have an auto & goin gup hills in a stick sould be different. Now I'm not gonna take mine at 60mph coming off an on ramp in the snow, but I'm not scared to drive it while it's snowing either.

Get a Tib!!! Can't go wrong!!!

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
I drove my Tib for two winters, and it was great.

The key to driving in the wintertime is to watch your speed. As long as you drive carefully, no matter what car you drive, you'll be ok.

Just be careful of understeer on corners. But again, your speed will dictate if that happens.

If it can survive two Canadian winters, you've got no worries!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm heading into midwest (IA / IL) winter #4 with the Tib. I haven't had any problems with it at all. On the stock 16" tires it feels what I would call "normal" for a front wheel drive car with around 170hp.

The Tib will be much easier to drive in the snow, compared to your RWD Z28 :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've only been through one winter so far and no problems, I just kept it in the lower gears (have the 6-spd) and tried to not to spin the tires too much when starting from a stop (starting in 2nd like someone mentioned above works too)- the only issue I had was once when I got stuck at a red light on an incline that was just a layer of ice, but then again there was a four wheel drive trucks right next to me having the same problems so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
JMMATT said:
the only issue I had was once when I got stuck at a red light on an incline that was just a layer of ice, but then again there was a four wheel drive trucks right next to me having the same problems so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
That would be more of a tire issue than a car-specific issue, like you indicated :)

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Please refer to my sig.

BEFORE THE MODS OR ANYONE ELSE FLIPS OUT, THIS IS A JOKE, IT IS MEANT TO BE FUNNY NOT OFFENSIVE. I HONESTLY DO NOT SEE HOW ANYONE COULD FIND THIS EVEN REMOTELY OFFENSIVE. AGAIN IT IS A JOKE TO MAKE EVERYONE SMILE, NOT MEANT TO BE OFFENSIVE.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
^^^ Which is probably why we always hear people with '03s complaining about wet and/or winter traction (or lack thereof). The '03s had Michelin Pilot Sport (ie: summer) tires, while later years started getting Pilot MXM4 all-seasons, which I dare say are probably much better in the snow.

I've only had mine through 1 winter, but we had a couple days where I was driving ON the snow because it was coming down so hard, but no problems to speak of. Basically you just have to learn how to handle the snow, no matter what car or truck or whatever you drive.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
one word... Blizzaks.... put them on your tib and it will own the snow. I had ZERO problems with those things on my car and it was in PA, where they take 4 days to plow the roads. MrPhotoman is correct... make sure you got the right tires. Even with all seasons, some aren't the best for snow.

I climbed out of a driveway that was on an incline in reverse and an icy driveway. I slid a bit, but got out. Overall, I loved the tib in the snow...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! You guys have been a great deal of help to me so far. I'm just trying to seek as much knowledge as I can about this car before buying one. And I'm sure I'll think of some more questions later. :3_smile:

·
Banned
434 Posts
FWD + heavy nose + winter tires = BAMF in the snow. this will be my 5th winter 3 on stock 16" mich Mx and 2nd on khumo all seasons and never ad a problem.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Ditto of everything above. No problem in the winter with the original 17" MXM4 tires. No, the Tib isn't best winter car but it's not the worst either. If you drive sane, you'll have no problems. If affording a set of snow tires (such as Blizzaks) that woudl be even better.

Summer tires in the winter = no way
All season tires in the winter = no problem
Snow tires in the winter = best

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've only been through one PA winter and with a set of Blizzaks there was no problems whatsoever. I drove 20 miles to work each morning on crappy country roads and never so much as spun a tire.

You have nothing to worry about whatsoever as long as you invest in snow tires and understand that you don't need to drive like it's WRC when the roads get covered.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
yeah, only time i had a problem with my tib in the snow w/ blizzaks was when there was 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground and i was intentionally swinging the back of the car out. I got it sideways a couple of times, recovered, and then overdid it... ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. No damage. My buddy thought we'd be stuck. Climbed right out.

Infact, the worst thing about the tib in the snow is that when you open the door to get the damn snow brush thing, all the snow falls in the car cause of the way the doors are... that was my only problem, lol.

·
Registered
869 Posts
haha yeah tibby and german snow.....bad combo....i hate my car in the snow

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I do not recommend it but I did it. Keep in mind that we don't get more than two weeks of snow here per winter and also, it never gets deeper than a couple of inches. Also, I lived a sizeable portion of my life on the prairies where 60 below and 4 feet of snow wasn't uncommon. The only reason I'm mentioning this is that it illustrates how good the Tib with FWD is, in snow.

Auto GTV6 Tib - two winters using Pilot Sport summer tires. No problems at all. Keep your speed down, no sudden movements and try to ensure there's plenty of room around you so that no one slides into you. There's one very steep grade hill on the way to/from work. Again, no problems.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
My Tib held out well in snow last year

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I drove my tib un the snow last winter and it wasn't too bad.....

I have an auto but I found that if you use shiftronic and start out of 2nd gear the tires don't spin as much.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts