Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit this huge pothole and now it seems like my ride is not as smooth as before. I took it to get rebalanced and they said the front was a little off. They ended up balancing and rotating the tires but I still think it doesn't ride as smooth. They also said the rims were not dented. So, they mentioned getting an alignment. Does an alignment affect both the ability of the car to drive straight as well as wobbliness?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Alignment would definitely make it pull to one side of the other, it can make it wobbly but normally that's a rim or a balance. On some cars it's pretty easy to knock off the alighment by hitting a hole, I'm not sure if our cars have that issue or not.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Take off your rims and check them for cracks or anything like that (some places are lazy and don't even look), other then that you may have broken a hub bearing, I did that a while back, it wobled real bad.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i dont think are cars have an aligment problem.. due to the fact I crub rash probably 32 times already and as well fell in many potholes.. lol gotta take pics of rims one day kinda funny of all the scractches on them makes the car look old :( ( P.S I dont purposbly hit the crub ... drive through, parking garage .. etc )

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
03sharky said:
i dont think are cars have an aligment problem.. due to the fact I crub rash probably 32 times already and as well fell in many potholes.. lol gotta take pics of rims one day kinda funny of all the scractches on them makes the car look old :( ( P.S I dont purposbly hit the crub ... drive through, parking garage .. etc )
learn how to drive again.. lol i cant stand when i see a nice car and the rims have curb rash.

·
Registered
434 Posts
lol I was just washing them and im like dam ugly rims gotta get new ones and dont drive threws or parking garages.. not sure theres something wrong with are town its ethier to small of a drive through or to big that you have to get out of the car..

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the same exact problem!!! I got an alignment and tire rod work done and then the car shakes around 65 and up. . . sometimes it shake bad and sometimes not at all. I also here what seems to be like a "rotation" whoosing sound. I got the tires balanced and the steering wheel doesn't shake now but the rest of it still does. . I didn't drive my car for a month and now I'm back in it so I keep thinking maybe it did it before and I never realized it.

Anyways it's not an alignment don't waste you money! That only affects steering. . anything with your alignment really shouldn't make your car shake unless you've got EXTREMELY serious issues that you would prolly already know about.

·
Registered
653 Posts
^ +1 up on that. You described EXACTLY what is going on with my car now. My car was fine till I bought new tires, then it had a little bit of a wobble at 65+. balancing them did nothing. One place said that I had a bent rim, but it wasn't bad enough to effect the ride. Then I noticed later on that I had that "rotation whooshing" sound. And now my car pulls to the right just a tad. I have to hold the wheel center. If I let go, the steering wheel naturally wants to turn a few degrees to the right. An allignment was going to be my next step, but now I'm not sure. Anybody?

·
Registered
111 Posts
^ +1 up on that. You described EXACTLY what is going on with my car now. My car was fine till I bought new tires, then it had a little bit of a wobble at 65+. balancing them did nothing. One place said that I had a bent rim, but it wasn't bad enough to effect the ride. Then I noticed later on that I had that "rotation whooshing" sound. And now my car pulls to the right just a tad. I have to hold the wheel center. If I let go, the steering wheel naturally wants to turn a few degrees to the right. An allignment was going to be my next step, but now I'm not sure. Anybody?
I have the same problem man. im not sure what to do with mine either. and about the sound, it sounds like a high pitched hum right? or at least mine does.

·
Registered
418 Posts
its called bearings....get new ones...if you hear that sound coming from your wheels you need new bearings home boys...i had the whole sound and vibrating thing going on, so i rotated and balanced my tires, and i got new bearings...now im good..i can go 130 with no vibrations...Oh, and another thing, alot of times the whole wooshing sound might also be road noise, our cars have a crappy noise displacement problem...And a "tie" rod just keeps both your front wheels pointed in the samed direction, hence the name "tie" as it ties them together.. And if you get new tires and they seem a bit wobbly then they arent made right, or some of the tread is a bit higher or lower in some areas...it should go away. or just get your wheels balanced... AH, and do not forget the rotors.. they can throw off your ride as well, i have a subaru that was perfect, but the rotors were old, and some spots alittle messed up more than others and i felt a slight vibration in my wheel cause of it, i got them machined and problem solved... i hope i was helpfull with your problems, i hate to hear about my fellow tib owners having problems with their rides...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its called bearings....get new ones...if you hear that sound coming from your wheels you need new bearings home boys...i had the whole sound and vibrating thing going on, so i rotated and balanced my tires, and i got new bearings...now im good..i can go 130 with no vibrations...Oh, and another thing, alot of times the whole wooshing sound might also be road noise, our cars have a crappy noise displacement problem...And a "tie" rod just keeps both your front wheels pointed in the samed direction, hence the name "tie" as it ties them together.. And if you get new tires and they seem a bit wobbly then they arent made right, or some of the tread is a bit higher or lower in some areas...it should go away. or just get your wheels balanced... AH, and do not forget the rotors.. they can throw off your ride as well, i have a subaru that was perfect, but the rotors were old, and some spots alittle messed up more than others and i felt a slight vibration in my wheel cause of it, i got them machined and problem solved... i hope i was helpfull with your problems, i hate to hear about my fellow tib owners having problems with their rides...
Thanks for the tip. My Tib is covered for alignments under warranty still so I'll get that along with the bearings. If that doesn't solve it then I'll move onto the rotors. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
actually i think i've seen our wheel bearings cost under $100, not entirely sure,

i've had this problem for a while myself and have been thinking about replacing the bearings for a while

·
Registered
356 Posts
welllllll..... this happened to me a while back same story.. .got it aligned tires balanced and everything... just wasted my money.... what had happened was sumtin to the tire.... because when i got two new tires for the front wheels.... it went away.. i guess the side i got the pothole that tire had a bumb on the bottom or sumtin... once i got the new tires it went away.... so burn out alot have fun, ThEn get new tires... lol.... just dont mess up ur tranny or clutch... =P

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Ok... let me clear a few things up here about alignments... if not done properly it can cause a vibration!! theres three things that are adjusted on an alignment, camber, caster, and toe. camber wont cause a vibration just a pull or excessive tire wear, caster wont cause it either, caster can cause hard steering, or make your car feel like its a shopping cart. toe will cause a vibration. if you have too much positive or negative toe on one side then you will get cupping on your tires, and hence the vibration. however in this case I doubt its the aligment because it happened immediately afer you left. just thought I would clear that up though

·
Registered
140 Posts
What type of wobble, does the steering wheel go back and forth at certain speeds or all the time. Its possible they missed this, jack up the car on one side and run your hand around the tires, feel for any bubble spots, its possible you broke a belt in the tire and this is making the tire wobble thus the steering wheel and car at the same time. I have had this happen and 2 places did not even notice this. Saying its balancing, struts etc that are bad. When in fact it was broken belts in the tire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts