Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently modified my hyundai tiburon v6 to a full stainless steel exhaust system, along with headers without catalytic converters. 02 sensors are all still screwed in and plugged in. Now for some reason the engine won't fire up. I've changed crankshaft sensor to genuine hyundai and it still won't start. Just can't figure out why it won't start now. Any ideas please!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Engine needs three things: Air, fuel and spark. Recommend to check all those first before throwing parts and sensors at it. Sensors don't usually fail, but we don't know the model year or mileage/abuse on the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  1. Hey guys please help! The only thing I can think of now is a relay the blew or even a fuse. I did have the air idle control valve and throttle position sensor plugs plugged in the wrong way round at first key turn. Could that cause blown fuse or relay? I should have checked that first. I only replaced Crank sensor because the rubber coating had crumbled away

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
So......you did the exhaust and now it cranks but won't fire?
Why did you unplug stuff by intake?
No, crossing those two items shouldn't blow fuses.
What other work was done recently?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I unplugged them because I needed to remove the throttle body aside to take the inlet manifold off to get to the back exhaust manifold. Otherwise its in the way. OK I thought that could be all it is left. All I did was unplug everything I needed to move then plug it all back in after. I've triple checked it all. Used the same 02 sensors as before very lightly cleaned them. I removed an air con hose. Could the car read that there is no catalytic converters and not start?

Couldnt having plugs in the wrong place send too much current causing a fuse or relay to blow?

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
Did you reattach the big ground wire from the upper intake to firewall?

No....lack of CAT's won't keep the car from starting.
No....swapping those plugs won't blow fuses...it just runs poorly since others have done that before.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Agree with Charlie. Check the ground strap to the intake. Could also check the little 10 amp sensor fuse in the engine fuse box. All the fuel injectors still plugged in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
I don't agree with Charlie. Because when I accidentally crossed two sensor plugs the sensor fuse. Shows what he knows! The "butt head" (staff edit for language...C-III). So it starts now and sounds like a monster

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
OK....I have been chewing on this....what was wrong? You have a U.K. Tib, "may" be different from a USDM Tib....not likely in this case.

For anyone else, I swapped those 2 plugs on my wife's 2004 USDM 5MT GT 2.7..... today.....it started, ran like crap, I shut it off and swapped back.
Fine now.
Many others with North American Tibs have swapped those 2 plugs....started and ran like cap, but still started and no blown fuses if that was the only issue.

Still wondering what else was wrong that you found......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts