Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I shorten the shifter without a problem because the reverse gear in the 6 speed there is a little pull up thing so now I'm afraid to shorten it, thanks for the info...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You mean shorten it yourselt? Yes, it can be done, but if you want to keep the reverse lockout in place you'll need to shorten it as well.

Search around, it's been done before (in fact that's what my STS is--a shortened stock one, though I didn't do it myself).

·
Registered
567 Posts
yea there might be a diy for it actually... have to use some strong epoxy once u cut the shifter down

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
why wouldnt you just buy a STS? i understand you wanna save money, but it just makes more sense to just buy one. you can find them for decently cheap used on here.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why wouldnt you just buy a STS? i understand you wanna save money, but it just makes more sense to just buy one. you can find them for decently cheap used on here.
The shifts are pretty much ok right now, I don't need to shorten them even more. The point is the shifter is so big, look at one in a 350Z, Rx-8...needs to be shorter, its unpractical in a sports car.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
an RX8 shifter is about the same length as a TWM sts, i know, i ride in my friends RX8 all the time. and just shortening the top portion of the shifter isnt really going to affect it much.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
The shifts are pretty much ok right now, I don't need to shorten them even more. The point is the shifter is so big, look at one in a 350Z, Rx-8...needs to be shorter, its unpractical in a sports car.
you do realize on the 6spd if you shorten the shifter you will also shorten the throws. It's because the fulcrum is at the bottom of the shifter and not the middle like the 5 speed. An aftermakret sts for the 6 speed is just a shorter replica of the stock shifter

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
you do realize on the 6spd if you shorten the shifter you will also shorten the throws. It's because the fulcrum is at the bottom of the shifter and not the middle like the 5 speed. An aftermakret sts for the 6 speed is just a shorter replica of the stock shifter
what he said.

·
Registered
666 Posts
buy an ARK short shifter. I have one on my 6-speed, I've never looked back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts