Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have some mechanical knowledege but have yet to attempt this on a fuel injected vehicle. I'm approaching the 60K mark and wondering if I should even go through with the timing belt change? If the car is preforming well and idles at normal RPM ranges should I even waste my time? I'm the second owner so the warranty is not an issue. If I do go through with this is it something that could be done by myself with a little help from a DIY on here?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm not sure about the 2.7 Delta platform, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to change your Timing belt at the reccomended intervals. As a previous DSM owner, I will always change T-belts at the appropriate time (ex DSM owners will know what I am talking about). I'm not sure about the Delta, but if it is an Interface engine (i.e, the piston and the valve share the space in the combustion area, as piston is at TDC, valves are closed, otherwise the piston would smack them, resulting in damaged valves), I would change it immediately. Trust me, its not fun to have to replace busted valves. If you ignore the T-belt change, and it snaps, then you're gonna have to replace a timing belt, replace the valves, and in the most extreme cases, replace the piston because a valve has put a little hole in the dome of your piston. It is costly and time consuming. If it isn't an interface engine, then it wouldn't destroy your valves, but you do need to replace it so you're not without a car for a week because of a shredded timing belt.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I would suggest taking the cover off and seeing how it is... if its ok.. then don't bother until 75k and check again... they should last 90-100 at least if your not racing and your not beating on your car

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
i wont try to change the timing belt myself. Too much risk, if the timing is off just one tooth it will mess things up

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
its not that bad if you have a garage and the right tools.. you just end up taking alot of things off to get to it. but to pull the cover off all you have to do it slide under and maybe remove the serpentine belt at the most in order to look in and check its condition... but remember doing this you will not see the WHOLE belt...

If you choose to di it yourself to save some $ then I recommend making some marks on the side of the timing belt in place and then take a picture for a fall back reference if you have never done it before. Remember that its possible after you change it and get it back together that you may have to tweak it if you do not do things correctly.

GL

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
just testing during the upgrade

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
im at 76k and i drastically need a timing belt change too. i bought a timing belt kit from Seoulful but havent opened the package yet. the crank sprocket looks like a biatch to reach though. Another member here was saying that i could probably remove the passenger side tire, and then the under coverings for easier access to the belt path, while i was thinking it would be easier to put the car on jackstands and work from underneath. I havent really found time to analyze the situation but when i do i'll let you know. maybe moogle could put some input on how he did it, because he just did his recently.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Well considering how craptastic our clutches are, just wait for your clutch to go out and do your timing belt at the same time because you have to pull the engine to do the clutch. When the engine is out you can do the timing belt and water pump, both of which are tough to get to with the engine in the engine bay.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you never done it before, don't do it on a vehicle with warranty. You know, just try on your friend's old car or something. I did it on my old car before, so I know it's now that hard. Just make sure you remember the belt pattern. I like doing it myself, but I haven't reached the mileage yet.

My friend got his friend's friend to do it for him and it only costed him $50. Maybe little more, but not much, I rather pay that much for that much work. If you hve any mechanic friend, ask him to do it for you.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i just changed my belt like kalian said,

i had around 76k miles at the time, and to tell you the truth, the old timing belt still looked pretty close to new, so i imagine it could have still gone a long time just fine..... but like bagpiper said, better safe than sorry,

personally i wouldnt recommend getting into it without atleast some kind of help if you dont have any previous experience with it. I had a buddy help me out and we also had the shop manual and it still took us quite a couple of hours.

We took off the side engine mount, serpentine belt tensioner, crank pulley, power steering pump and ofcourse the wheel and wheel well lining.

just so you know, to take off the side engine mount, you'll need a deep socket to get the bolt off, i THINK it might have been an 18mm deep socket but i'm not positive, you'll have to double check that.

One thing we kept having issued with, when we were putting on the new timing belt, 1 of the sprockets kept moving 1 or 2 teeth forward, we tried 3 times with the same result, what we ended up doing was misaligning the sprocket those same 2 teeth in reverse and then we put on the new belt and it just realigned itself.

all in all, it was a pain in the *** and i'm glad it's over with, lol

but hey, i'd never pay over $1k for something i could easily do myself with a little help

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i change timing belts on V6s for living, not THAT hard, i still charge more for headers (V6) then i do for V6 t-belt changes...
Chase

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the reason I bought this car in the first place what the affordability factor. I don't have $800-$1000 to fork over to a shop for changing a timing belt. Does anyone have a link to a DIY for the 2.7 belt change? Because that would totally kick arse. Otherwise I'll have to wait for a weekend when I can get my dad down here to help out. Unfortunately my finacee isn't so mechanically inclined nor are any of her brothers/relatives. My whole family is 3 hours north of here so I'm kinda on my own here.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i dont think there's a DIY for it,

i would have made one but was in a bit of a hurry so i didnt take any pics :(

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
next time i do one, ill make a DIY.
Thank me later.
Chase

1 - 17 of 17 Posts