Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing the timi g belt and water pump on a stock 08 I4 2.0L. I had the marks lined up before removing the belt, but i moved the crankshaft counterclockwise a couple teeth at some point. Belts still off. Can i just rotate the crank independent of the cam with the belt off and re-align? Do i need to turn it counter-clock all the way around?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
543 Posts
You can safely rotate them independently but do not use a lot of force. IE don't use a 3ft long breaker bar to make your movements... If you have to rotate any of them more than about 60-90 degrees you could make contact with the valves and you will feel a dead stop in your movement. But as it would appear you only have a few degrees to move to get aligned with your timing marks so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can safely rotate them independently but do not use a lot of force. IE don't use a 3ft long breaker bar to make your movements... If you have to rotate any of them more than about 60-90 degrees you could make contact with the valves and you will feel a dead stop in your movement. But as it would appear you only have a few degrees to move to get aligned with your timing marks so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I thought i would be ok. Just wanted to get confirmation on that before I tried it, given the interference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,007 Posts
I agree.....belt off, move the crankshaft a bit to line it up, reinstall the belt.
When all together, big wrench on the crank bolt, spin it by hand 2 full revolutions clockwise.....recheck the timing marks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree.....belt off, move the crankshaft a bit to line it up, reinstall the belt.
When all together, big wrench on the crank bolt, spin it by hand 2 full revolutions clockwise.....recheck the timing marks.
Got it, thanks! Gave it a few turns. Imagine the scare when i stood up to see it waay off. Then i realized 3 turns ... 180 degrees out. 4th turn, everything lined up perfect. Everything smooth so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts