Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has trouble starting, lopes in idle like a v8, jerks, and misfires a lot. I'm pretty sure the timing belt is going out based on those and having replaced fuel and ignition components that could cause it. I am planning to buy a Gates brand kit to install. Very recently the car constantly jerked during acceleration and then randomly stopped jerking and I am wondering if I will need to correct the timing in some way before installing the new belt. Also what are the chances of my valves being damaged?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
What components have you replaced? It could be the timing or it could be something else.

If you're unsure when the timing belt was last replaced I'd do it anyway, but it may or may not solve your problems depending on whether that's the cause. You can pull the upper timing cover and check the condition of the belt. Unless it's way off or broken you probably haven't damaged the valves (if it was broken you wouldn't be able to run the engine at all), and part of the job of replacing the belt is making sure all the timing marks are lined up, regardless of whether whey are when you take the old belt off or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What components have you replaced? It could be the timing or it could be something else.

If you're unsure when the timing belt was last replaced I'd do it anyway, but it may or may not solve your problems depending on whether that's the cause. You can pull the upper timing cover and check the condition of the belt. Unless it's way off or broken you probably haven't damaged the valves (if it was broken you wouldn't be able to run the engine at all), and part of the job of replacing the belt is making sure all the timing marks are lined up, regardless of whether whey are when you take the old belt off or not.
Yeah I have no idea when the previous owner did it last so I figured it would be good to do. I have replaced the fuel pump, pressure regulator, filter, and injectors; for ignition: coils, wires, and previous owner did plugs (going to check those just in case).

·
Registered
08 I4
11 Posts
Yeah I have no idea when the previous owner did it last so I figured it would be good to do. I have replaced the fuel pump, pressure regulator, filter, and injectors; for ignition: coils, wires, and previous owner did plugs (going to check those just in case).
I would HIGHLY recommend doing some research on the timing job. I walked into it blind and my car was down for over 2 weeks. This youtube video helped me some, but I still struggled a bit

·
Administrator
9,538 Posts
How long have you had the car?
Putting year, model, engine, trans & miles in your signature helps answer basic questions.
Any belt has a miles AND time limit. Replace when you hit either, especially if a "new to you car" without good maintenance documentation.
Has the car been sitting with a partial fuel load? (Condensation)
Did this happen after refueling from a different gas station? (Bad batch of gas).
If it was a V6, I might suspect the rear plugs were really old.
I can look at a timing belt and say, "it looks new", or, "it looks like it's failing". Otherwise, on an interference engine, cheaper to replace parts to be sure.
Any codes, set or pending?

·
Registered
08 I4
11 Posts
It’s a 2004 2.0L
I'm not 100% sure how similar the timing setup is between the 4 cyls from the 07-08 and the 03-06, but I can't imagine there would be too much of a difference. The best advice I can give you is to take LOTS of pictures as you disassemble your engine, organize and label any components you remove, and be 100% sure you're using the right parts. I accidentally bought the wrong-sized belt that was 3 teeth too short and almost killed my engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not 100% sure how similar the timing setup is between the 4 cyls from the 07-08 and the 03-06, but I can't imagine there would be too much of a difference. The best advice I can give you is to take LOTS of pictures as you disassemble your engine, organize and label any components you remove, and be 100% sure you're using the right parts. I accidentally bought the wrong-sized belt that was 3 teeth too short and almost killed my engine.
The belts seemed to work for all years so I bet it’s the same process. I bought a name brand kit with a warranty too

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’d also give the following a good clean.
Maf sensor, throttle body and IACV with some throttle body cleaner. Use only maf sensor cleaner on the maf though. It can damage it otherwise.

As stated above u can take the top timing cover off and check the condition of the belt for cracks. I’d also check ur timing by putting the crank on the timing marks see if the cams line up with their timing marks.
There’s a small hole in the cam sprocket that lines up with a line on the cam cap.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great tips here! My uncle recently acquired this 2006 Tib that has been sitting for about a year so it needs some TLC. Oil, fuel pump, filter, plugs, and timing belt are on top of the list. We'll just finish installing the suspension, jeep wheels, and brake pads on the Wrangler this week before we can clear the garage. I'll pass to him that vid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure you have proper voltage too. I had an alternator die on mine and it caused all kinds of fueling issues.
As for timing belt. It can be done in an afternoon. Make sure you get the proper tensioner too. The last kit I got came with the wrong style tensioner so I had to hunt that down locally. The crank pulley will be a pain too depending on who took it off last. Double check the condition of the crank pulley when it’s off (it's a multi part unit bonded together) the rubber can fail on them and cause other issues.

when doing the timing belt just make sure your marks are in the right spot BEFORE you remove the belt. And what ever you do, DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE THE WRONG WAY IF YOU MISS THE TIMING MARKS the first time around. Just keep bumping the starter or hand crank the engine until both marks are lined up. Then after turn the engine by hand to make sure your marks are right again.

·
Administrator
9,538 Posts
Make sure you have proper voltage too. I had an alternator die on mine and it caused all kinds of fueling issues.
As for timing belt. It can be done in an afternoon. Make sure you get the proper tensioner too. The last kit I got came with the wrong style tensioner so I had to hunt that down locally. The crank pulley will be a pain too depending on who took it off last. Double check the condition of the crank pulley when it’s off (it's a multi part unit bonded together) the rubber can fail on them and cause other issues.

when doing the timing belt just make sure your marks are in the right spot BEFORE you remove the belt. And what ever you do, DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE THE WRONG WAY IF YOU MISS THE TIMING MARKS the first time around. Just keep bumping the starter or hand crank the engine until both marks are lined up. Then after turn the engine by hand to make sure your marks are right again.
Note, the printed lines on the timing belt WON'T line up if you rotate the crank to recheck until you do many rotations.

Reactions: jimmythehead
1 - 17 of 17 Posts