Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am about to hit 60k in my 03 tib gt v6 and their telling me i should replace my timing belt and do a transmission flush is all that really nessecary and what would the best timing belt be.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
yes, change it. people say it will last to 100k miles or u can get a new engine when the teeth wear out and start to slip

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
are there better timing belts to get compared to others?? Is it easy to change?? What is the process and time involved? is there a DIY on it?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Automatic transmissions should be completely flushed out every 30,000 miles, so at 60k, I'd definitely recommend having that done if you didn't do it at the 30k mark.

As for the timing belt, I can't remember the exact mileage that it should be replaced at, but, from what I remember, it was around the 60k mark. This is definitely something you DON'T want ignore because it could easily leave you stranded or possibly cause internal engine damage if it breaks on you. That's whay manufacturers put a set mileage on when to replace them. I mean it's not like it's going to break or something right at 60k or even 70k, but your chances of it failing continue to rise with the more mileage and stress you place upon the engine. So at least look into getting yours replaced here soon.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
best timing belt?

Oem worked just fine for me

and i wouldnt say it's an easy DIY, it took us around 3 hours, but we did have some things that slowed us down, like i didnt have a deep socket to remove the engine mount with so we had to drive all the way to my friend's house to get it.

Make sure you have one to get the mount off before you start, i THINK it was an 18mm deep socket

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
macatron.......... useless info, we know when to change it, and what the effects of not changing it would be......we need to know if there are better belts out there than others...and what the process is in changing it, I didnt see a DIY on it

·
Registered
624 Posts
macatron.......... useless info, we know when to change it, and what the effects of not changing it would be......we need to know if there are better belts out there than others...and what the process is in changing it, I didnt see a DIY on it
Oops...sorry. I missed that part when I read the first thread. :3_yummie: As for which timing belt is better...I'd say just stick with OEM because your only other option would obviously be your local parts store...that is if they even stock one.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
moogle, you scared the shitt outta me now......how much would a shop charge to change it?

·
Registered
375 Posts
my dealership charges $300 to change em on the v6 and $200 to do an i4

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
moogle, you scared the shitt outta me now......how much would a shop charge to change it?
lol,

what did i say?

i dont want to scare you, but it's really not something you would wanna mess up, if you put on the belt with one of the sprockets being being off just 1 or 2 teeth would cause a disaster.

so i would definately say it's doable as a DIY, but it's not the easyest thing,

i was too affraid of attempting it alone

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
If you're gonna do your own timing belt , might I suggest when you think you have it installed correctly that you rotate the engine 2 complete revolutions (by hand and make sure that you have the timing marks dead on) before you just hop in car and start it . The OEM timing belt is always the best bet for the car, I've got the same thing on my engine and I'm completely modded(port polished cams gears bla bla bla) all the NGM toys minus the S/C and like Moogle said if your off or if ya dont set your tensioner correctly it will bring about catastrophic engine failiure, so check and double check your work (you're not scared now are ya ?)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If you're gonna do your own timing belt , might I suggest when you think you have it installed correctly that you rotate the engine 2 complete revolutions (by hand and make sure that you have the timing marks dead on) before you just hop in car and start it . The OEM timing belt is always the best bet for the car, I've got the same thing on my engine and I'm completely modded(port polished cams gears bla bla bla) all the NGM toys minus the S/C and like Moogle said if your off or if ya dont set your tensioner correctly it will bring about catastrophic engine failiure, so check and double check your work (you're not scared now are ya ?)
what do you mean by rotating the engine and how is this done?

·
Registered
110 Posts
its like going through a test run by turning the crank by hand to make sure that the valves dont come into any contact with the piston. any sort of that = engine rebuild.

Im not sure how you would do it with a tibruon, but to do it with my 240sx, I just got a fat *** (25mm I think) socket and rotated the crank.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Like mentioned before, if you are a few teeth off, well its not good. Use good parts too, and don't re-use old ones. A friend of mine changed his on his DSM and re-used the old tensioner. Sadly to say, the tensioner failed and the valves were toast. So the car had to come apart again to get more work done to it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
what do you mean by rotating the engine and how is this done?
you just turn the crank pulley,

i didnt do that though

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Thx KDM and yes that is exactly what ya need even if the watr pump is not bad at this time, it wont last another 60k miles to the next timing belt replacement, so it would be really a very good idea to change it at this time. And Trance thx for clarifying the rotating the crank at the crank bolt 2 full revolutions with a wrench by hand . As a mechanic I keep forgetting not everyone does this everyday like I do.:3_winkthu

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
even if the watr pump is not bad at this time, it wont last another 60k miles to the next timing belt replacement,
It sure will. The stock water pump is pretty reliable, take care of it and it'll last. 120k on the stock pump is not an issue.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Second........I dont know where ya get yer info, No they're not that reliable to the point where I would trust them to be in there 120k. I have replaced more valves in heads due to water pump lock ups in Hyundais and Nissans and Hondas than I can shake a stick at . In colder climates I have seen the pumps go as long as 130k with no problems but down in the southwest where the anti-freeze tends to get ignored for a longer period of time I see a much higher failure rate .In a perfect world we all do our maintanace by the book, but in the real world I see oil changes done past 5500 miles and antifreeze that looks like aunt Jamimas syrup, and trans fluid that smells like a$$ and foot. My suggestion is only that if your there why not take the extra five min to replace the pump while you're there, It's cheap no loss of sleep insurance.It's not like I'm selling crap to anyone , I'm just lending my experience and first hand knowledge of replacing the Timing belt and components.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts