Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys...i have followed the DIY's to tint tails....they looked amazing until i wet sanded and the clear turned white??

I used:

VHS nite shade
Engine Clear Coat *heat resistant

1. cleaned tails
2. dried tails
3. nite shaded
4. waited for it to dry for a few hours
5. clear coats
6. waited for it to dry..
7. wet sand very lightly with 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper
8. turned white!!!
9. re-cleared and looks great....but needs wet sanding because some parts are bumpy...

WHAT KIND OF CLEAR HAVE YOU GUYS USED?

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
You have to buff it after wetsanding with that grit of paper...

Get some metal polish (last step) buffing solution (preferably 3M) and buff it or bring it to a shop to buff it for you....

Wetsanding scratches the surface, thats why its white. You need to now work the scatches out by buffing and waxing.

And I wouldnt have used an engine clear.... sounds trashy. Normal clear would have worked fine but if you dont have access to the right gear then you should bring it to a shop for clear like Staw said.

·
Pete: The Man
4,366 Posts
cleared and wet sanded too quickly. you should let the nite shades dry for at least 24 hours before clearing.....at least, that's what I did. But it's mainly because you did the wetsanding before th clear was completely dry. You may have to try and strip them, and start over.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i recleared it and it looks just fine now except i need to wetsand it...

my husband could clear it for me because he knows how to paint but we dont have the access right now and i have to wait a few weeks but i wanted to go ahead and do them for now because i sold my other tails and i didnt want to run red tails on my pink car....lol...

i'll try buffing them tomorrow after wet sanding again and if that doesnt work then i will just beg Josh to clear them with automotive clear...(we have TOO MANY projects going on right now!)

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Yeah I am a certified painter and buffing it should cure it.... But wait next time for it to dry for a day or so..

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had mine turn chalky about three days after I finished mine. I pulled them off and sanded and recleared them with a spray automotive clear and they were fine again. Wait awhile afer clearing to wetsand.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright guys! Thanks! Im going to wait to wetsand until tomorrow i think so the clear will be allowed to sit for two days then i'll get them buffed in a few days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts