Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i got set of 18 's with 225/40/18 tires and they rub if i hit a bump on the road and also if im turning too fast of a speed.......i have tein s springs on the car for about 40000 miles with stock shocks.........now i hear of rolling your fenders to help fit bigger wheels ?? What does that mean ???.....What else can i do ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
What is your offset and where is it rubbing? You may need to roll your fenders if it is rubbing on the outside fender or you may need wheel spacers to move the wheels away from the suspension. With my KSports I lowered my car so much I needed wheel spacers on the rear to clear the suspension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JBLover said:
What is your offset and where is it rubbing? You may need to roll your fenders if it is rubbing on the outside fender or you may need wheel spacers to move the wheels away from the suspension. With my KSports I lowered my car so much I needed wheel spacers on the rear to clear the suspension.

Its rubbing on the outside of the fender.......so how do i roll my fenders??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
What offset are those rims "spikydave69 " ?
There's quiet afew people on ere runnning 225 on the rear with no rubbing,so would be interesting to know
what width rim+offset causes rubbing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
"antiquity" have u got much room on the inside with that setup ,
I'm thinking of a 18x8.5 with 38offset
Would stick in 3mm more +out 10mm more than ure setup, do u think i'd need to roll fender ?
Would use a 225-40-18 + stretch the mother :3_loveit:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
COOLDRFT said:
What offset are those rims "spikydave69 " ?
There's quiet afew people on ere runnning 225 on the rear with no rubbing,so would be interesting to know
what width rim+offset causes rubbing.

Well the back does not rub at all just the front...........the rim is 7.5 inch and im not sure about the offset........hmm i just looked at it and its only drivers side front that rubs the fender and the black cover.......i bent the lip on the fender on the inside so ill see if that helps.......but i think my shock is busted cause drivers side front sits 1/3 to 1/2 iches lower that all other .........And now i noticed my axle boot has slipped off and the grease is coming out of it... hmm i wonder if the dealer will fix that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
If the rubber boot around the shock is wet looking,then it's busted,or u could try the bounce test."lean ure weight up+down on the front fender,see if it goes up+down easier than other side"
The offset is usually stamped on the inside of 1 of the spokes in the wheel.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
434 Posts
i dont have much room. i went to a 225/45 tire for my last hpde event this summer and had to roll my fenders extensivly to get rid of the rubbing.

see if a shop will let you test fit that setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
antiquity said:
yup

i am one of them

225/40/18 all around on 18 X 8 with a +35 offset and no rubs and i HPDE on that size.
Are you as low as him though, he has TEIN springs and those slam the car.

You may be rubbingif you have a bad shock. Your car will have a lot more suspension movement if the shock went bad and the tire will rub the plastic. On my KSports the settings are so hard that when you sit on the fender it is difficult to see if the car drops and I weigh 175. Put on some KONI yellows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
antiquity said:
yup

i am one of them

225/40/18 all around on 18 X 8 with a +35 offset and no rubs and i HPDE on that size.
Are you as low as him though, he has TEIN springs and those slam the car.

You may be rubbing if you have a bad shock. Your car will have a lot more suspension movement if the shock went bad and the tire will rub the plastic. On my KSports the settings are so hard that when you sit on the fender it is difficult to see if the car drops and I weigh 175. Put on some KONI yellows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
COOLDRFT said:
If the rubber boot around the shock is wet looking,then it's busted,or u could try the bounce test."lean ure weight up+down on the front fender,see if it goes up+down easier than other side"
The offset is usually stamped on the inside of 1 of the spokes in the wheel.

The shock boot is fine .........my axle boot slipped off and the grease is coming out hmm should i take it to the dealer ?? Or just fix it myself .......there is a little griding noise coming from the front when i start from a stop right when i lettting go of the clutch .......could that be from the axle if its low on grease ????????? i thouhgt it was from my spuercharger hmm i have to check it out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
spikydave69 said:
The shock boot is fine .........my axle boot slipped off and the grease is coming out hmm should i take it to the dealer ?? Or just fix it myself .......there is a little griding noise coming from the front when i start from a stop right when i lettting go of the clutch .......could that be from the axle if its low on grease ????????? i thouhgt it was from my spuercharger hmm i have to check it out
You need to stop driving your car right now if the boot fell off. Your axle is going to be toast. Were you working on your car and accidentally knocked it off or did it fall off? Get that fixed pronto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Hi i got set of 18 's with 225/40/18 tires and they rub if i hit a bump on the road and also if im turning too fast of a speed.......i have tein s springs on the car for about 40000 miles with stock shocks.......
Bet ya blew a shock,,,,
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
434 Posts
ViolentB said:
Bet ya blew a shock,,,,
thats a very good guess.

JBLover said:
Are you as low as him though, he has TEIN springs and those slam the car.

You may be rubbing if you have a bad shock. Your car will have a lot more suspension movement if the shock went bad and the tire will rub the plastic. On my KSports the settings are so hard that when you sit on the fender it is difficult to see if the car drops and I weigh 175. Put on some KONI yellows.

Yes i have tein springs also and i am running eibach dampers right now. I would have gotten a set of konis but they didnt make anything that was a stand alone shock for the tiburon short of custom ordering race shocks at around 800$ each. I didn't want the OEM strut towers so i went with eibach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hurdler5280 said:
You need to stop driving your car right now if the boot fell off. Your axle is going to be toast. Were you working on your car and accidentally knocked it off or did it fall off? Get that fixed pronto.

See only one side sliped off the grove and i pulled it back on and installed another clamp on top of the stock one..........i hope it will hold now....yea it just popped out of the grove by itself i dont know why.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
434 Posts
yea, you are probably going to need a new CJ joint. i think they were running aroud 100-150$ plus core from auto parts stores around here when i was looking. They were entire half shafts too not just cv joints. pretty easy replacement.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top