Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good all season tire to put on an 05 gt tib, with the factory wheels? I had a tire go down on me the other day, and it took me about 2 blocks to get somewhere I could stop and park the car, and in that short distance, it destroyed the sidewall of the michelin pilot tire that came on the car. I ended up getting a bfgoodrich tire, cuz it was the cheapest I could find within walking distance, on short notice, and with the mounting and balancing fees, it ended up costing me 160 bucks. That's the most I've ever paid for a tire in my entire life. I know there's gotta be a cheaper tire out there. Don't get me wrong, I don't want garbage, but I don't want to pay this much for tires, next time I need one. And please don't bash me for having factory wheels, I happen to like them, and don't plan on changing them. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure what the factory tires on an 05 are, but on my 04's the size is 215/45-17. I got two of them for 306 at sears when i got a flat last weekend. I found online after searching Google for cheap tires that the same ones are 90ish online. Look online, and i guarantee you will get alot better deal. I got Kumho Ecsta ASX and for the price, they seem pretty well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zunger said:
I'm not sure what the factory tires on an 05 are, but on my 04's the size is 215/45-17. I got two of them for 306 at sears when i got a flat last weekend. I found online after searching Google for cheap tires that the same ones are 90ish online. Look online, and i guarantee you will get alot better deal. I got Kumho Ecsta ASX and for the price, they seem pretty well.
Thanks, yeah, that's the same size as mine. And the bfgoodrich tire that I got, seems to be just fine, I just felt like I paid way too much for it. I too searched google afterwards, and found the same tire for about 110. I guess I just got too used to having cars with tiny wheels, and cheapo tires only running about 50 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
yeah soon ill have to get tires, i have 31k miles on factory tires. 2 mountain runs can wear down a tire

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
after my stock Pilot Sports wore out, i put on a set of NEXEN tires, they were awesome! Quiet, cheap, and handled well. I paid $275 shipped for all 4. great deal.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I prefer the Khumo ASX and Khumo AST models. They're about $80-$100 depending on where you go,,,but they last a hell of alot longer than those damn michelins that cam with the car. They are "all season" so they have a better wear rating 400+. For technical tire info http://www.tirerack.com
has very good articles to read about tread wear, speed ratings, etc. go check it out, they also have alot
of different types of tires so you can get an idea of the prices you'll be looking to pay.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
ViolentB said:
I prefer the Khumo ASX and Khumo AST models.
^^^ +1 I'll be replacing my factory MXM4's soon with a set of one of these Khumos.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set of Kuhmo ASX's. I had them originally on my MX-6 and put around 30k miles on them. They still looked good when I sold them. They're a perfect bang for your buck all season tire.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The tibs here come with Kumho ecsta tires on them and they are just crap!! no traction whatsoever!! I replaced my front ones with the Federal 575 (i think thats the right model) and they are great they cost me like $423.

The stock Kumho tires are like $235 each here!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
TuscaniAnubis said:
don't matter if your a decent driver!, mines are bald and I get around! :)
True, unless the metal from the tire is showing, then no matter how good of a driver you are, its a good time to replace them.

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
DIDZ said:
The tibs here come with Kumho ecsta tires on them and they are just crap!! no traction whatsoever!! I replaced my front ones with the Federal 575 (i think thats the right model) and they are great they cost me like $423.

The stock Kumho tires are like $235 each here!!
What ecstas do they come with? Ecstas are usually really good tires.

·
Banned
434 Posts
TuscaniAnubis said:
don't matter if your a decent driver!, mines are bald and I get around! :)

well think about it.... no grooves means more contact patch on the road which means kick *** traction on DRY pavment. get some water on the road and you will be in a 3000lb ice skate. But all tires have the best DRY grip when they are fully worn. At that point they are basically slicks. and we all know for best dry traction R-compund slicks are king.

·
Banned
434 Posts
to the OP get on tire rack or discount tire or 1010tires and find something for your next tire. tire rack has very good reviews(not the ones by customers) so they are a good resource.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The tibs here come with Kumho ecsta tires on them and they are just crap!! no traction whatsoever!!
Do you think they could have been these ? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+KH11&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=145WR7KH11&fromCompare1=yes&place=4 they only have a 280 tread wear rating so they wear very very fast.
Cause the ones I've used have either 400 or 420 tread wear rating like these here
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=145WR7EASX&fromCompare1=yes&place=2
and
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+AST&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=145HR7EASTXL&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bald tires dont necessarily mean more traction! Slicks are made that way because there softer and grip when they heat up. Regular tires arent going to heat up like slicks. There for, your just destined for a blow-out/accident.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah, I agree with most of the posters. I got the Kumho Ecsta ASX's a while back, i got about 15k miles on em. Theyve got good grip on em in the summer -- excellent for cornering, I can take one of those "4-Leaf Clover" style interchanges at 80MPH with not so much as a squeak from 'em.

Theyre pretty good in the snow too as far as grip, but i do have to warn ya: Theyre asymmetrical tires. One of the things i dont like about 'em in the snow (well, thats really the only time you notice it) is if your goin down the road and it hasnt been really plowed well, and you start riding in 1" or deeper snow in the road, the tires will grab the snow, and pull you towards it, so you needa be very tentative with watching where your going in snow.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think I got the best deal here. Before i went to the ractrack on October 7th I had to replace my two front tires. Can you say $40 each tire mounted and balanced?? They were supp. used but have lots of thread on them. Bridgestone Potenzas FTW!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts