Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm basically going to install a cat. converter pretty soon, because the header noise is driving me nuts. But I thought I would ask anyways.

Basically I'm running an alpine setup with Next Gen stage2 (upper 2.75 pulley, lower 6.5 and other mods... OBX headers, Borla catback, AEM CAI, FPR, Walbro pump, 290's).... I am NOT running a cat. converter on my setup. The power is pretty good, but the sound is horrible. Well, it's not that horrible but maybe I'm growing old and don't want it to sound that loud.

What would the average difference be in whp when I install a Magnaflow cat. converter? I imagine it will be around 5whp less, but compared to the noise it would be worth it. Looking for feedback from people who have gone from catless to cat or from cat to cutless... just to have an overview of what to expect.

Oh yea.... I'm getting :3_marrysm in a couple of hours :3_puh2:

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I don't think a hi-flo converter would be even that restrictive. I like the small cat that came with my hotshots because it's just enough to tell the secondary sensors the emissions are cleaner coming out if only slightly, so no cel's. I've found the the resonator muffles the sound more than a cat.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
congradulations on the marriage.
honeymoon time BABY.
Chase

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
pass dat....
4,358 Posts
I would love to remove the cat from my car. I got the hotshots headers with the high flow cat. I would havealready taken it out but these damn 04's are so finicky with the O2 sensors. If I had to guess I would say a cat is worth between 10-15whp especially when you are boosted.

WTF-shouldn't you be getting prepared for the wedding and not worrying about your car, you know your addicted to NT when........

·
Registered
387 Posts
zeenon53 said:
I would love to remove the cat from my car. I got the hotshots headers with the high flow cat. I would havealready taken it out but these damn 04's are so finicky with the O2 sensors. If I had to guess I would say a cat is worth between 10-15whp especially when you are boosted.

WTF-shouldn't you be getting prepared for the wedding and not worrying about your car, you know your addicted to NT when........

see i just dont understand this.. I have an 04 with SSA all the way back, no cats or anything, and i have never had a CEL from my O2's goin off. Maybe im just lucky?

·
Registered
67 Posts
jovanie said:
I'm basically going to install a cat. converter pretty soon, because the header noise is driving me nuts. But I thought I would ask anyways.

Basically I'm running an alpine setup with Next Gen stage2 (upper 2.75 pulley, lower 6.5 and other mods... OBX headers, Borla catback, AEM CAI, FPR, Walbro pump, 290's).... I am NOT running a cat. converter on my setup. The power is pretty good, but the sound is horrible. Well, it's not that horrible but maybe I'm growing old and don't want it to sound that loud.

What would the average difference be in whp when I install a Magnaflow cat. converter? I imagine it will be around 5whp less, but compared to the noise it would be worth it. Looking for feedback from people who have gone from catless to cat or from cat to cutless... just to have an overview of what to expect.

Oh yea.... I'm getting :3_marrysm in a couple of hours :3_puh2:

Congrat. Jova Ricky me indico que la diferencia debe ser mas o menos esa cantidad.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Alex_04_TibGT said:
see i just dont understand this.. I have an 04 with SSA all the way back, no cats or anything, and i have never had a CEL from my O2's goin off. Maybe im just lucky?

what kind of simulater you running ?
I NEED TO KNOW :m_BangHea

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I have a 04 and dont have any cats...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys for the congrats.

I also have an 04 without any cel nor cat. I just welded the secondaries very far down on the Borla... about a feet before the resonator.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stop fking up our air dudes. Run the fking cat, your children's children will thank you. 1-2hp (if any) ain't worth it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Put on a cat, that is unless you like breathing in carcinogens. I myself have no cat, but thats because I'm making the srt into a race-spec car. For most of you boosted folks, the tib is your daily driver with some exra power. Mine is a daily driver/track spec, so I have interchangeable flanged test pipe/hi flow cat. Right now I'm flanged with the test pipe, but only cuz I'm too lazy to change it out. But definitely get a cat

·
Registered
981 Posts
Alex_04_TibGT said:
how can u bare with that awful sound without a magnaflow cat, i also have ssa headers and ssa exhaust and that damm bee noise drives me nuts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Tibu said:
Stop fking up our air dudes. Run the fking cat, your children's children will thank you. 1-2hp (if any) ain't worth it.
When your F/I its about 5 - 10whp...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Zaion said:
When your F/I its about 5 - 10whp...
Hay por favor :3_saai:

A 3 inch magnaflow cat on a 3 inch exhaust robbing 5-10hp? Did you come up with that figure off the top of your head or do you have a dyno sheet to prove that?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Tibu said:
Hay por favor :3_saai:

A 3 inch magnaflow cat on a 3 inch exhaust robbing 5-10hp? Did you come up with that figure off the top of your head or do you have a dyno sheet to prove that?
busca en cualquier lao un carro turbo con un cat...

if i were n/a it would indeed be only about 3-4 whp... f/i is a whole different thing...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts