Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so a little background on my situation.....

My car has 80,000 miles on it now, and I had 1 clutch replaced under warranty, and then put in another clutch (CM stage 3) at the 50k mark. Ever since I did that install I have contended that the clutches on our cars might be weak, but the part that causes premature failure is a crappy throw out bearing design. I have seen more than one TOB pulled out of our cars that were cracked, which IMO contributed to the clutch failures.

Now on Saturday, I was driving over to the GFs house, and I go through a stop light and push the clutch to shift to second. I put it in second, and the clutch pedal never comes back up. Well luckily I was only 1 stoplight away, and was able to get to her house in second gear without stopping. The only warning I had was a slight whizzing noise for a day before.

So I just got done dropping the tranny in preparation for my new clutch (which is another rediculous story I won't get into). When I crack the bellhousing, what do I see........

So yeah, at this point I am debating if I am even going to put a new clutch in. I have a stage3, and it was only slipping for 2 days off and on. I am struggling to get the pressure plate off (not enough room to get a socket or wrench in there...) so I guess I will fight that battle another day. I really think I could replace the TOB, and it would probably be fine, but I guess while I am in there I should just put in a whole new setup.

BTW, I went with the South Bend (DXD) OFE clutch.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I also found my rear motor mount was destroyed when I took it out. It was a poly sport mount. To think I ran a 14.2 on a destroyed mount definitely gives me hope I can break into the 13's.

·
Banned
939 Posts
wow i saw mine when they pulled it out and it is nowhere near as bad as that. I was driving on it for a long time with all kinds of noise coming from there. It seems like you would have had more warning as jacked as that thing looks! Good luck, if you need a FW let me know!

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
If I'm understanding you right, you've got about 30k on the stage 3? Just me, but I'd probably go ahead and slap another clutch in there while it was down. I fond a few small burrs on my fork during my clutch install, which I gently filed off so there wouldn't be any resistance on the travel of the TOB.

Here's that guide to centerforce clutches, but a lot applies to any clutch. It takes awhile to load (pdf).

http://media.centerforce.com/DiagGuide/DiagnosticGuide04DL.pdf

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As you can see, from my pic, the bearng that is supposed to be in the middle is completely gone. Well, not gone, but still attached to the pressure plate. So somehow the bearing part got completely separated from the main piece. And you can see it was subjected to very high heats as well...

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just pulled the rest of my clutch, and when the TOB exploded, it shot little ball bearings all over the place. They were lodged in between the pressure plate and the pressure plate fingers, and a bunch fell out of the tranny.

Then when I take the pressure plate off, 2 ot the tabs where the bolts connect the PP to the flywheel were cracked, and one was completely separated. so basically, I think there are like 6 bolts, and 3 of those were either no holding it on at all, or not very well.

The flywheel face looked VERY good, and probably could have been reused (only had one hot spot), but I am replacing it anyways.

And before anyone asks, everything was torqued to spec.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know which hyundai these fit yet. I'm wondering if they're any better than the sh't valeo bearings we're getting even with race clutches.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CTF-210&N=700+400420+115&autoview=sku
If you go to the applications tab, it lists the applications. The 2.7L engine is not one of them. I wouldn't risk it.

But I do agree about the TOB. Mine isnt the first to look like **** coming out of the tranny. Granted, it might be the worst looking one I have seen, but there have been others I have seen that are cracked. And I am sure there have been people who didn't inspect the TOB closely to notice any cracks or anything. I honestly think the TOB is why there are so many failures.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I wonder if T.C. would be willing to make a sturdier TOB? Granted its a real small part in his world since he's more about F/I but still this could be a nice part for him to make.

·
Banned
3,208 Posts
Dang Mal.........that's worse than mine was with the stock clutch blew up

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I wonder if T.C. would be willing to make a sturdier TOB? Granted its a real small part in his world since he's more about F/I but still this could be a nice part for him to make.

wow that sucks..

and I was just about to say- why doesn't a company (aftermarket) build some better tranny internals??

it would make sense for these cars anyways...

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
wow that sucks..

and I was just about to say- why doesn't a company (aftermarket) build some better tranny internals??

it would make sense for these cars anyways...
I very much agree, and it would be something the company could make money off of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.