Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K. So all you guys know (if you read my last thread) I made a stupid mistake with my Alpine Turbo Kit. So I had to take it all apart to fix it. Since Im down here... I might as well get a new TB, my IM P'd&P'd and my head P'd&P'd. So!! Since I'm doin all this... might as well get a Re-grind on my cams. I went to ----->http://www.rpw.com.au/ for info. Can anyone give me some advice on this.

I think I wanna go for a "Race Port" on my exhaust ports and just a Street port on my intake ports so i wont need new valves, springs, and pins.

So tell me what you guys think. Im taking my stuff to a shop today @ 1130 so any advice before that would be awsome.

thanx

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Looks like a decent company.
If they werent all the way in austrailia i'd be interested in their cam's and valve springs.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
its now 1:47, just got back from the machine shop. They'll to the IM and Head for $300!!!!!!!!
GREAT PRICE!! Only prob is - is that no one in Fayetteville NC does Re-Grinds on cams. Think im gonna get cams from the site i listed... however. I heard that KSPEC does cams... but i cant find any one their site.

can you guys give me any more sites that do cams? plz? Im on a time cruch here and i'd really like my Tib back. Its been garaged for almost a month and a half!!

thanx

will the v6 cam shafts work?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i have rpw head gasket, but i didn't try it out still, so can't say about quality, they all look good, cause it's just the gaskets, but rpw are a proven company with a good authority.. :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
klouud said:
its now 1:47, just got back from the machine shop. They'll to the IM and Head for $300!!!!!!!!
GREAT PRICE!! Only prob is - is that no one in Fayetteville NC does Re-Grinds on cams. Think im gonna get cams from the site i listed... however. I heard that KSPEC does cams... but i cant find any one their site.

can you guys give me any more sites that do cams? plz? Im on a time cruch here and i'd really like my Tib back. Its been garaged for almost a month and a half!!

thanx

will the v6 cam shafts work?
v6 cams wont work in i4 noo.. heh good luck bro. going to back some big power i see! :3_winkthu

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for the help guys. all i had to do was "GOOGLE" hyundai cam regrinds. Found an awsome shop in Seatle WA called Delta Camshaft (deltacam.com) that will do anything I want if i send my camshafts and one lifter for... drum roll... $175!!!! for both shafts!!!! Holy Crap!!!

So basically what just happened is I did a complete upper engine job for $900.00 US. Not too shabby. Well... not complete... but almost :3_smile:

All this extra work because i put a head spacer upside-down. LOL!!

Gotta get my coilovers on, front & reat strut bars, boost controller, apillar replacement, guages, and recirculating valvue put in.

Then its on to fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, unsprung clutch kit (already got it), RR LSD, short shifter, momo shift knob, carputer, and oem sub box with competition sub with amp.

whew... I've come so far but still got so far to go...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
one question i never knew,

Do most machine shops do p&p jobs?

i've always wanted to look into that but had no idea where to go...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
antiquity said:
the best cams for turbo are small lift and short duration and little to no overlap.

basically what you get in the beta stock.

got any numbers to throw at me. I send off my cams tomorrow. when the shop gets em then we talk about what I want to do with em.

what specs should I get em cut to?

heres what I've got

engine:

p&p IM
p&p head
60mm TB
12psi alpine Turbo kit with intercooler
have the 15psi reflash but gotta get all the stuff to up the boost
poly motor mounts

suspension

strut bars
sway bars
coilovers

Basically I want MORE POWER!!!! MOO-HAHAHAHA!!! But this thing is my daily driver so I dont want to have to stop at every gastation i see. I want increases in the mid and high RPM ranges with low to moderate loss of torque in the low RPM range. I plan on taking my car to the track a few times and hookin it up to a dyno to see what Im putting to the wheels... maybe even race from light to light... every now and then. No heavy racin tho.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i fear to really get over the power you have, you would need forged pistons and rods,although i'm not much confident, i'll be having a similar to yours setup soon(i hope) with p&p too..it would be very interesting to see how p&p affects the powerband...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
apkraven said:
i fear to really get over the power you have, you would need forged pistons and rods,although i'm not much confident, i'll be having a similar to yours setup soon(i hope) with p&p too..it would be very interesting to see how p&p affects the powerband...
cool beans. but i was referring to this statment...

antiquity the best cams for turbo are small lift and short duration and little to no overlap.

when i said throw some numbers at me... as in cam specs.

--Oh! and if forgot 2.5" catback with removed cat and custom 2.5" downpipe-to-catback system midpipe/testpipe. also 02 sensor trick.

·
Banned
434 Posts
klouud said:
cool beans. but i was referring to this statment...

antiquity the best cams for turbo are small lift and short duration and little to no overlap.

when i said throw some numbers at me... as in cam specs.

--Oh! and if forgot 2.5" catback with removed cat and custom 2.5" downpipe-to-catback system midpipe/testpipe. also 02 sensor trick.

what i mean is leave the stock cams alone they are already setup well for your application as is the computer.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
antiquity said:
what i mean is leave the stock cams alone they are already setup well for your application as is the computer.
i know the comp is good. got the unichip by alpine for managment. The question now is... will i see gains in hp/tq if i get my cams done? If i'll see more hp then im gonna do it. If not tell me plz.

·
Banned
434 Posts
pm dmdicks or johnGTR, they would probably know more than i would but from what i can tell the stockers are good. espically for the setup you are going to have.

on your specific, generic, setup.....i dont think cams are going to make much of a difference. if you were building for a ton of power than you may want to consider a different cam profile but i dont know if it would even be necessary then.

JohnGTR just posted his dyno today he is making like 270whp on a stock motor top and bottom. and he has something weird going on above 5000rpms the hp flattes out and is really peaky. he said he had some ignition issues. i would expect more than that once he got that figured out.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I'm still floored on the Intake and Head for $300...what are they doing..EXACTLY?!?!

Do they have a flow bench, are they port matching everything with your intake and exhaust manifolds/gasket? (Get a new intake gasket, BTW...) Almost sounds too good to be true, for that price! But if it's the full meal deal, then great find!

And this RR LSD you keep mentioning...the unit from RRM is for a V6, FYI.

-BRR

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BestRedRide said:
I'm still floored on the Intake and Head for $300...what are they doing..EXACTLY?!?!

Do they have a flow bench, are they port matching everything with your intake and exhaust manifolds/gasket? (Get a new intake gasket, BTW...) Almost sounds too good to be true, for that price! But if it's the full meal deal, then great find!

And this RR LSD you keep mentioning...the unit from RRM is for a V6, FYI.

-BRR
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! WHY GOD WHY!!??? Is there a good LSD for our model?

Yeah its the real deal. I told the shop owner all the stuff I want. IM's TB port to 60mm, IM's head ports to just under gasket, interior polished to remove casting imperfections, and painted. Head ported and polished as big as possible without new valves and springs. The shop owner said that if you go too big on the head porting you can actually lose power.

Also found a shop in WA that will do my cams for $175!!! NOW THATS THE DEAL OF THE DAY!!

Will call Dave about cam regrinds... however i dont see why I shouldnt go for it. even slightly modified cams will increase throughout the powerband. the higher the "stage" the less low end and the more high end.... I'd prolly go with the stage 1 turbo grind from the RPW site.

·
Banned
434 Posts
klouud said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! WHY GOD WHY!!??? Is there a good LSD for our model?
quaife has had a model out for the 4cyl 5 speed for a long time. they are one of the finest LSD mfgs on the planet for these quality of cars. It will run you around 1200$ plus install.

klouud said:
Yeah its the real deal. I told the shop owner all the stuff I want. IM's TB port to 60mm, IM's head ports to just under gasket, interior polished to remove casting imperfections, and painted. Head ported and polished as big as possible without new valves and springs. The shop owner said that if you go too big on the head porting you can actually lose power.

Also found a shop in WA that will do my cams for $175!!! NOW THATS THE DEAL OF THE DAY!!

Will call Dave about cam regrinds... however i dont see why I shouldnt go for it. even slightly modified cams will increase throughout the powerband. the higher the "stage" the less low end and the more high end.... I'd prolly go with the stage 1 turbo grind from the RPW site.

First it will cost you between 1000-1500 to import those cams from RPW. Second they use fresh billets and not regrinds so you may not be able to get the same profile they use cut onto your cams. and Third if you hope that RPW is just going to hand over the specs of their cam profiles so you can have another company do it for you, well.....good luck to you.

And last a cam regrind may or may not pick yup up power everywhere in the power band. Keep in mind this is NOT a N/A car where the airflow is determined mostly by the cams. The airflow in a boosted motor is determined mostly by the turbo.

It is ultimatley your money and your decision to make, i just suggest thinking about it and not jumping on it because it sounds good. regrinding your cams can severely throw off the balance and several other charactoristics of them and put undo stress on the valvetrain. for my money i keep the stock cam and stock profile untill i am trying to make over 400whp. .02

1 - 20 of 27 Posts