·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone mind giving me torque ratings for the lugs on the wheels. thanks ;x

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Clarify please. What spec? The strength (breaking point) or the installed torque? The manual says they should be tightened to 65-80 ft-lbs. I have no idea to their breaking point.

·
Pete: The Man
4,366 Posts
Until you can't tighten any more with your own strength....assuming you have a little muscle behind you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
its really important, just put them on as tight as you can ( unless you're weak, then have someone else do it )

i always crank them on tight, then do another 1/4 turn. if you look at tire places, they never torque them down ( unless they're new rims, in some cases they do ) they just put the suckers on with an impact wrench

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
READY2PLAY said:
Until you can't tighten any more with your own strength....assuming you have a little muscle behind you.
drew04GT said:
its really important, just put them on as tight as you can ( unless you're weak, then have someone else do it )

i always crank them on tight, then do another 1/4 turn. if you look at tire places, they never torque them down ( unless they're new rims, in some cases they do ) they just put the suckers on with an impact wrench
^^^ 2 Bad pieces of advice. Do not tighten as hard as you can. This causes 2 problems. First, too much torque can warp rotors. Second, over torquing the lugs causes too much stress on the wheel studs that could then cause it to strip at best or break at worst.

Buy a torque wrench and do it correctly. If the torque rating wasn't important, it wouldn't be listed in the manual or differ for different cars. The Tib is anywhere between 65 and 80 ft-lbs while my wifes minivan is 95 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
what if you're really strong? my pythons are like whoa, i think i might break them right off. how much is a good torque wrench?

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
You don't even ned a fancy one. Mine looks like the pic below and works perfectly. I actually prefer it because there is no chance of breaking it, and you can see how close you are to being at whatever spec you are looking for. As you tighten the bolt, the needle just tells you how many ft-lbs you have torqued it to.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Sears sells them for about 80$ i just bought a Craftman for 15$ at a tool auction tho

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
uhhh last i knew u dont actually need to get them that perfect... everyplace ive ever been where they take them off just use an impact wrench to put them back on. so ide say just tight not like give urself a hernia tight but tight.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
qbytiburon said:
uhhh last i knew u dont actually need to get them that perfect... everyplace ive ever been where they take them off just use an impact wrench to put them back on.
Impact wrenches can be set to a specific torque rating so it can't make the lugs too tight.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
NovaResource said:
Impact wrenches can be set to a specific torque rating so it can't make the lugs too tight.
yeah but i doubt they know/lookup the specs for how tight the lugs of cars should be they just prolly have a standard average they use. and if u go to a shop and say put these rims onf or me i bet itll cost u next to nothing if the tire is mounted, im assumeing thats why hes asking...

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
qbytiburon said:
yeah but i doubt they know/lookup the specs for how tight the lugs of cars should be they just prolly have a standard average they use. and if u go to a shop and say put these rims onf or me i bet itll cost u next to nothing if the tire is mounted, im assumeing thats why hes asking...
True, but I'm sure that average is closer to correct spec than to just "crank them on as tight as you can".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts