Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 01 Tib with 116k on it for $500 (the trans isn't too good). I'm going to do some fluid changes to see how long I can make it last. When the trans gets hot, it will downshift and run in a lower gear than it should. Someone told me this was a safety feature, but I can't see how. Isn't putting the transmission into a lower gear when you're doing 50+ mph making it work harder?

Anyway, my real question is regarding doing a fluid change (not flush). I picked up a cheapo filter from AutoBone and it came with 2 rubber gaskets that are slightly different. I stopped by a Hyundai dealer to buy a few of their Oil filters (imho, they are very good for the price) and asked the parts lady about maybe getting a filter for the transmission and if the gasket comes seperately maybe just getting that. She went to check (i.e. ask someone else). She came back with a printout that says the 01 Tiburon does NOT have a drain pan gasket! The Hyundai tranny filter is $45 (AutoBone's was $12) and since I might be doing a few of these fluid/filter changes I was just going to use the cheaper filter.

Is using no gasket correct? Should I not use the rubber gaskets that came with the AutoBone filter? When I asked her to check that there really was no gasket, she went back to the back (to a mechanic, I assume) and came back and said I should just use red rtv sealant.

I'm am by no means a mechanic, but I can follow directions. Since I cannot seem to find a detailed guide to doing an 01 Tib tranmsission fluid change on the net, I really hope someone here that has done one can tell me if I need to use a gasket or not (and any other helpful tips for a noob doing a tranny fluid change on an 01 Tib).

Many, many, many thanks for whatever help you can offer.

-DaSh

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
According to the parts diagram there's a gasket (part # 4528528010). Aftermarket filter kits should come with a gasket. If you buy the filter from the dealer you need to buy the gasket separately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that h8isgr8!

I called my local Hyundai dealership and the parts woman was quite surprised. Although the part number you listed was for the Oil Pan gasket (part # 4528528010), I was able to pull the tranny pan gasket part number off your diagram (45335A) and she ordered one for me for next Tuesday. I'm just gonna drop the fluid and refill it again, and hopefully the newer fluid will be enough to keep it going until I get the new gasket. I've always done the following with the oil in a new-to-me car: change immediately, then again at 500, 1000, 2000, and back to a normal 3500 mile change... including filter and some Seafoam at every change. It costs me about $100, but I have an engine that is Super clean when I am done. I'm hoping that with a few filter-fluid changes (I'll flush the the system on the last one) that the poor transmission will accept some love and last another year or 2.

On a transmission flush h8isgr8, do you know if the tranny return line from the radiator is the one on the driver's side or the passenger's side? I can remove one and hope that I'm lucky, but would much rather rely on your wisdom to tell me and save me from pulling 2 lines instead on just 1.

Thanks again for all the help.

-DaSh

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I called my local Hyundai dealership and the parts woman was quite surprised. Although the part number you listed was for the Oil Pan gasket (part # 4528528010), I was able to pull the tranny pan gasket part number off your diagram (45335A) and she ordered one for me for next Tuesday.
Yes, the part number I gave is for the TRANSMISSION oil pan. The one you ordered is for the differential gear cover.

If you look at the gasket included with aftermarket filter kits you will see it matches the one for the part number I gave, not the differential gear cover gasket...

Sorry, I couldn't tell you which line is the return. The easiest way to find out is to drive a very short distance from a cold start the then feel which of the two lines is cooler; that one is the return.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I drained the Trans fluid and there was only about 3-4 quarts that came out. The fluid was full before I drained it. I was told (by a supposed Hyundai mechanic) that I would get 7-8 quarts out the pan and if I flushed it it would take 9-10 plus another 2 to do the flush out. Is that right? If so, what happened to 3-4 quarts of transmission fluid from the pan?

Also, the plug has no metal shavings on it. Why? I thought that was the point on the trans fluid drain plug... to grab the metal that gets shaved off.

I've attached a pic of the old fluid and the plug and new fluid. I hope this Castrol stuff is good. If anyone has an opinion on it, I'd like to hear it. I can change it the next time I drain it out (soon).

Any comments on the fluid issue or why the drain plug isn't grabbing the metal like it's supposed to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again (x a lot)

-Dash

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
OK, "deep breath"...... chill a bit.

The total AT capacity is NOT what you need for a "fluid change at home".

Why?

The torque converter retains a lot of fluid.

If you drained EVERYTHING, it would match the "book value" for ATF capacity.
Since you only dropped the trans pan, you get a LOT less fluid out.
"No worries, be happy".

If you want to do a full fluid change (easily), then do what you did, then do it a few more times. Eventually, you have diluted the crud enough to NOT be an issue.
No, it's not perfect, then again, few things in life are.
0:):wink2::grin2:

PS, if you have no metal on the drain plug, that's a GOOD thing. A magnet either works, or it won't. Usually, they just work (unless dropped.......).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you VERY much to both of you! I tend to freak when doing things I'm not accustomed to. You've saved my heart some stress it really doesn't need.

AWESOME+++++++

-Dash

1 - 7 of 7 Posts