Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I've done a gazillion engine swaps on 6 cylinder GKs. The only time I ever dropped the subframe was the first time I took the tranny out of my own car. It was brand new at the time, and I followed the book when I did it.
Every other one I've done by pulling it straight out the top. I don't even take the hood off anymore. It's about half as much work. Trying to line up that stupid transmission, steering rack, and frame from under the car just sucks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done a gazillion engine swaps on 6 cylinder GKs. The only time I ever dropped the subframe was the first time I took the tranny out of my own car. It was brand new at the time, and I followed the book when I did it.
Every other one I've done by pulling it straight out the top. I don't even take the hood off anymore. It's about half as much work. Trying to line up that stupid transmission, steering rack, and frame from under the car just sucks.
By pulling it up did you mean pulling it along with the engine or just the transaxle itself? Im looking to replace my tranxale soon so if you can give me a quick rundown of things i have to do it would be really helpful! thank you

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I haven't done it, but it seems likes there's a lot more things to disconnect if you pull the engine. If you just loosen the passenger rear subframe bolt you don't need to completely drop it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what your trying to say with this post? Did you make that vid of your car or are you just posting vids someone else made for the fvck of it? lol
yes it is my own video which took me time to film glad you appreciate it, the DIY tranni removals on here are only with pictures no better then the shop manual.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a gazillion times!! and you never even made a video to show how its done, when you do it again please post some instructions it may help someone out. thats the whole point to help others isnt it???

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
It's really not complicated. Unbolt everything, drop the axles, pull the engine and transmission together, split them on the ground. I've talked about that on here quite a few times over the years. It's not my fault that you and others didn't search out the information.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
not supposed to separate your CV boot bro

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Funny, because I knew a guy who did that. He lost his wheel key and blew up his engine shortly after. He got the engine out alright, but then couldn't get it back together. I put those axles back together for him, and I was super pissed because it was such a greasy mess.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I just meant when you pulled on the axle, it separated. 8:05 - 8:30 in your video. If you popped it out of the tranny with a prybar, that wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ideally yes for everyone pry it from the tranni as i also mentioned in the video try to remove it in one piece, but my boot was already broken so it slid out on its own with little to no force when i removed the steering knuckle,

it goes differently for everyone depending on the condition of your car, some people may have a super hard time to get it out when my driver side shaft popped out on its own,

its good my clutch blew up so now i can repack clean greese in there and fix the rubber dust boot, and secure it with a new strap. Its all going real good though,

also i ended up having to remove the front muffler after all, figure i may as well put a new one on while im down there, eBay has some nice shiny headers that come with both flex pipes included, you gave me the link for the clutch conversion kit otherwise i wouldnt have known,

thanks really serious thank you ive noticed you contribute more positive advice on here then anyone ive seen ever. god bless you your family and everyone you care about, when i win the powerball i will remember the support you give me and everyone.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Me? Thanks!
Glad everything is going well. Post some more pictures as you go so we can follow your project.

After looking at your video I don't see anything very apparent as to what was making that damn noise

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok guys i got everything done But my Transmission wont go Onto my Engine, ive got it on there lined up correctly and all and yes before you ask i made sure to use the clutch alignment tool to align that before i tried putting the tranny on.

my main issue is that its slightly off by like 2cmm. the transmission wont even budge anymore?? im at a complete loss here and this 1 weekend job has become a 2 week job now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts