Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 98 Auto Tiburon and the autobox was driving me crazy, it would randomly jump down a gear. I built my own computer and 3D printed some paddles to control the auto box, it's great but I still miss driving a manual.

So I've got a manual box from a 2003, all the linkages and I've already fitted the clutch pedal and master cylinder. My first question, Is the box the same on the 1998 and the 2003? I know maybe a little late now.

The main thing that's troubling me the confusion in drive shaft size. Ok so if I buy drive shafts for the 98 online they are the same for the auto and manual, in the service manual the shafts are 1.6mm longer (left) and 4.6mm longer (right), from auto to manual.

The 2003 drive shafts for auto are 1/4" longer online than the 98, they are 1/2" longer for the manual.

So what should I do, Ideally I would like to keep the auto shafts, I work in a machine shop so I can also make spacers to go behind the shafts at the wheel bearing, I should be able make them 1/4 longer if I shorten the spacer at the castle nut, 4mm ish I would be ok with the standard nut spacer.

Any thoughts people ?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,689 Posts
Welcome to NT.

Others may have better info, but first.

You have a 98 2.0 AT? You want to put in a 03 MT?
Is it a 5MT?
What engine was in the 03?
Were you planning to use an 03 flywheel and clutch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply

Yes I have the 2L AT Beta 1 engine.

The flywheel, clutch and transmission has come from a 2003 2.0L Beta 2 engine, and yes it is a 5 speed.

I want to put the 03 parts into my 98.

I was told that the transmission offset was the same, the bell housing the same, etc... I want to be certain they are as my car is my daily driver and I have 3 days to install the transmission over this long weekend.

Thanks, Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,689 Posts
OK.

Are the outputs on both trans (98 & 03) the same? Same diameter, same number of splines, same type (male vs. female)?
What about trans mounts (on the trans and the car)? Which do you use?
Is the cross section of the diff the same between trans?

If the trans outputs are the same and the cross section is the same, I would use 98 axles for the 03 trans. The length should work and they also fit the wheel hubs.

Don't know if the flywheel, etc.will work.

Just trying to cover bases before you start, give you things to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Both of the shafts between both years and transmission type are the same spline, the only difference is overall length and that auto is triple joint and manual is double joint.

I was hoping someone would know straight away as the last resort is to pull my drive shafts, place them in the manual box and see if they are the same width, of course if they are not I may have to make spacers, but I can`t do this at the weekend. The 98 and the 2003 share the same clutch and flywheel from what I`ve read but I haven`t found if the manual transmissions are the same.

I also have the transmission mounts from the 2003 as I were lead to believe they are different to the auto.

·
Super Moderator
8,689 Posts
The first issue is most of us do not recommend doing a AT/MT conversion (either way), wwe suggest getting the trans you want.
Secondly, you are doing the conversion between a RD and a GK, even more rare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never wanted an auto but I came across it super cheap, only done 40k miles too, I would have been ok but the transmission randomly jumping down to 1st scares me too much, especially when I hit 8k revs.

I know a conversion is not ideal, but where's the fun in it being simple. I've done a lot of searching to find that the transmission from a beta 2 will fit a beta 1, the gearing is supposed to be slightly longer too. My only worry was pulling a drive shaft if the wheel drops low over a bump but I guess I'll find out when I measure the shafts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i HAVE REPEATEDLY SWAPPED 5 SPEED mt FROM BETA 2 ELANTRAS INTO BETA 1 rdS. i HAVE NEVER HAD ANY SHAFTS NOT WORK. i WOULD IMAGINE THAT EVEN ELANTRA AND TIBURON SHAFT LENGTHS ARE THE SME, FROM 97 TO 2003, BECAUSE ANY SHAFT i EVER GRAB FROM THE PILE FITS THE CAR AT THAT TIME. ... mY CONCERN IS WHAT IS WITH THE 2 OR MORE DIFFERENT HOLE SIZES IN THE FLYWHEELS. ????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts