Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this about 6 months ago.
And it's okay.

1) thread does not match up with OEM knobs so you must use the Ralco knob.
2) the allen bolt used to secure the knob is also kinda frail (doesn't hold the knob in place under hard use) and the bolt becomes stripped easily if you try tightening it.

Anyone else have this issue?
My bolt stripped and now it's gonna be a ***** to get out. Until then I have a loosey goosey shift knob. Personally not crazy about this type of knob design.

·
Registered
412 Posts
View attachment 136239 I bought this about 6 months ago.
And it's okay.

1) thread does not match up with OEM knobs so you must use the Ralco knob.
2) the allen bolt used to secure the knob is also kinda frail (doesn't hold the knob in place under hard use) and the bolt becomes stripped easily if you try tightening it.

Anyone else have this issue?
My bolt stripped and now it's gonna be a * to get out. Until then I have a loosey goosey shift knob. Personally not crazy about this type of knob design.
Fix 1: If you have a steady hand and a bit of skill and knowledge, I would fill it with jb weld or high strength 2 part epoxy. Then drill and tap the correct threads, screw on your knob with a bit of blue locktite. Very inexpensive. Banging gears will probably wear this out eventually.

Fix 2: have a machine shop create an aluminum sleeve to screw into your knob to the internal threads if any, bore out the center and tap to the correct thread and size. This option probably costs more in labor than the knob itself. A permanent solution.

Fix 3: buy a different knob.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered blue loctite or maybe purple. We'll see. Might just say hell to the STS and put the tall oem back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts