Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 06 Tib, and my trunk is stuck. When I hit the release on the door, it sounds like it goes off, but the trunk still stays closed. When I use the key in the keyhole on the trunk, it still won't unlock. I have no idea how it could of gotten stuck. If anybody knows a solution to this to getting it unlocked and open again, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Check your fuses, of course.

You can manually open your trunk from the inside, which will help further diagnosis.

Go in through the front of the car and get into the trunk. Remove the cover that's in the center of your tailgate with a flat head. Now turn the item circled below clockwise while using your head to lift the trunk.

That little green apparatus is the linkage from the unlock motor (right, in picture but hard to see) to the mechanical locking mechanism (left, not pictured)

Additionally, I don't really understand why anyone would invent a manual key override, that's still electronically controlled. Like, wtf are you supposed to do if your battery dies? You obviously can't open the trunk to get your jumper cables out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
This doesn't explain the key not being able to open the trunk, but theres a DIY on cleaning the contact points of your trunk-opener switch. My hatch made the sound but never opened. I went through the DIY, rubbing the contacts with an eraser, and now it works great every time!

Heres the link http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168896

·
Registered
957 Posts
My switch was also bad. It would send current to the motor, but not enough for it to open. Cleaning the contacts seemed too time consuming, so I just put a SPST relay in place so that the switch would trigger the relay. Worked like a charm. Cleaning the contacts or replacing the switch is probably the proper way, however.
Cleaning the contacts took about 2 minutes of rubbing with an eraser, and maybe 20 minutes of dissasembly/assembly. Would have been shorter if i didnt lose the spring when i opened it up

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean, when I hit the switch, I can hear it sound like it's being released, so I don't think I need to clean the contacts.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I mean, when I hit the switch, I can hear it sound like it's being released, so I don't think I need to clean the contacts.
Just because you hear it doesn't mean it's got enough power.
Just like when you try to start your car on a nearly dead battery. It'll turn, try to turn, or just click...but hearing that sound doesn't mean that your battery or starter is good. Also when you hear a relay *click* doesn't mean it's good. A relay can click, but not have good connection points internally.

I suggest opening your hatch as described above, and confirming you have enough juice going to the motor with a multi-meter. Or you can pull your door apart and measure the resistance of the switch compared to the resistance of a window switch.

If you can verify that the switch is working properly, then go to the motor.
If you can verify that you're getting enough power to the motor, but the motor is not turning, then the motor is bad.
If you can't verify there is enough power to the motor, and have already ruled out the switch, you can check the resistance between the ground wire of the motor, and the chassis. Iirc, connecting the ground wire to the chassis should cause the motor to turn.
If the motor is turning, and the trunk is not popping, then your problem is not electrical...it's mechanical.

I really hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have an 06 Tib, and my trunk is stuck. When I hit the release on the door, it sounds like it goes off, but the trunk still stays closed. When I use the key in the keyhole on the trunk, it still won't unlock. I have no idea how it could of gotten stuck. If anybody knows a solution to this to getting it unlocked and open again, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Same issues :( hatch release don't open trunk or the key itself:( help plz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts