Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
I'd PM MistaD and ask him. He's done a few clutch replacements, but all by pulling the engine only because he had an engine lift and no tranny lift. But I'm sure that from doing it by pulling the engine he's seen whether dropping the tranny would be feasable, or easier.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It definitely can be done form the bottom, but you have to drop the sub-frame to access the trx. This former member said he did it w/o dropping the sub-frame. I personally don't see how, but I'd like to know if anyone's ever done it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i have done a few tib clutches my self for different members cars...the 4cyl looks as though it may be feasable, but not on the 5 or 6 spd v6......if you have a v6, you are either taking it out the top or taking the subframe down and the exhast....and the spindles

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My mechanic dropped the subframe to do mine. I'll never forget how pissed he was because REAL sent me the wrong adaptor plate for the crank... it's all documented on the boards.

(That's all you wnated to know right? that someone had done it? lol)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mechanic dropped the subframe to do mine. I'll never forget how pissed he was because REAL sent me the wrong adaptor plate for the crank... it's all documented on the boards.

(That's all you wnated to know right? that someone had done it? lol)
I wanted to know if anyone has removed the tranny without having to drop the sub-frame on the 2.7 as this one ex-member stated.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i have done a few tib clutches my self for different members cars...the 4cyl looks as though it may be feasable, but not on the 5 or 6 spd v6......if you have a v6, you are either taking it out the top or taking the subframe down and the exhast....and the spindles
Where do you place your jackstands if removing from the bottom. I f I have to remove the sub-frame, there doesn't appear to be too many places except on the frame behind the front wheels. I've done harley and rwd domestic clutches before, but not hydraulic FWD. There's a DIY but it appears the whole section after the first plate bolts (step 7), ends without showing the subframe removal. The motor mounts should stay in then except the left one that bolts to the trx, and just unbolt the headers at the "y" pipe?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
are you reading my DIY? cause if you are i dont know what i left out if anything...yes the MMs have to come out, i used jack stands on the core support to hold the car up. my phone number is in my DIY 314-397-5641 if you missed it.....you can call me as other members have and I will walk you through what ever you are having trouble with

Mike

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
are you reading my DIY? cause if you are i dont know what i left out if anything...yes the MMs have to come out, i used jack stands on the core support to hold the car up. my phone number is in my DIY 314-397-5641 if you missed it.....you can call me as other members have and I will walk you through what ever you are having trouble with

Mike
Thanks. I tried calling and left a voice mail. I guess I need to go buy a 32mm socket for the hub. I don't have anything that big in metric. I should just be able to place an extra jackstand under the engine to support after removing the front, left, and rear mm mounts, or do I have to brace it from above?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wanted to know if anyone has removed the tranny without having to drop the sub-frame on the 2.7 as this one ex-member stated.

I've replaced many tib clutches w/o removing the sub frame conpletely but you will have to remove the steering shaft from the rack and both subframe bolts on the drivers side then let the subframe hang down on the left side. it will leave just enough gap to get to the clutch and flywheel. if you are doing it on the ground you can put the jackstands on the body pinch welds just behind the front tires.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've replaced many tib clutches w/o removing the sub frame conpletely but you will have to remove the steering shaft from the rack and both subframe bolts on the drivers side then let the subframe hang down on the left side. it will leave just enough gap to get to the clutch and flywheel. if you are doing it on the ground you can put the jackstands on the body pinch welds just behind the front tires.
I got the stands in, and 1/4 the sub-frame unbolted. When I pulled the left axle out (driver's side) the axle came out and the rubber boot, but left the metal cup part of the axle stuck on the side of the trx. This has f'ckd my head cause I've never worked on FWD axles. I'm reluctant to continue this mess, but pretty much have to now. Can I put a jackstand under the engine to support it and take the other 3 mounts out? Then use the floor jack for lowering the trx if I get that far? I've alway s done my own work, including everything on this tib, but don't know jack aboput FWD axles.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Mike
I was trying to pry behind this metal cup when the axle slipped right out with the rubber boot leaving this in trx still. Also. it looks like the metal power steering line is attached to the passenger side top of the sub-frame. I'm becoming a crazy person.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was going to do this myself, but I am getting the mechanic at my friend's shop to do it for me. I am helping all the way through, but he will be there to direct me to the right direction. I am just helping him in order to pay less for the installation.

So, what you guys are saying is
1. The exhaust (I am guess that guy meants the collector pipe) need to be removed?
2. I know the sub-frame need to be removed.
3. nobody even done the LSD in the tib trans.
4. anybody changed the gear ratio and final drive????? Mechanic told me he can do it, if I want.
5. Why am I numbering this things???

Anyways, any answers to my questions would be great.

Hyon

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thought I had most of the rear sub-frame undone, but went back took off the 2 clamps holding the steering box to the frame. I gave away my tie rod and ball joint forks thinking I'd never need them again, so the those arms are still atached to the hubs. It' looks like I may be able to drop the sub-frame with those connected but don't wan to take a chance cause I'm not sure if the arms will angle down to the floor with the sub-frame when it goes. The person I gave the forks to may be able to bring them by this evening, but I hate to sit idle til then.

I got the sub-frame down. Any of you guys see Apocalypse Now? Remember the part where socom called for PBR streetgang to wipe out the entire area, and Colonel Kurtz kept saying "the horror"? That's what this was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts