Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to this whole schpiel, but I'm trying to gather some information for my own knowledge. So far I have a K&N CAI, and the Injen dual exhaust running on my V6. I just dropped by my buddies shop, and ordered the DC Sports Headers, cause it looked like they were posting the best gains. Now from here, it seems like there is a lot of talk about the Mafterburner fuel tuner. My first question is... how necessary is the fuel tuner, because I'm looking into the RIPP S/C application, and it comes with a pre-tuned piggyback system, and tuning device. Next, I was also wondering since the RIPP application is quite different than the standard Alpine or NGM application can you still upgrade your intake manifold to use in conjunction with the F/I? Furthermore with the intake manifold, I was wondering if you purchased the top portion, [which NGM's stage IV bosts a nice 20-24whp gain with], would it be much different if you threw in the extra 200$ for the bottom, or is it just the color scheme thing? Lastly, with the RIPP modification I noticed there was some talk about the 5-6psi used for this application being too much, and some users/user's friends blowing their engines. Should I mod the internals? and if so what are the necessary mods to be done?

Thanks in advance guys. -Thr3bx.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In short - because my pizza is almost done.
-ditch RIPPS black box BS, get the base kit and convert it to a draw-thru recirculating kit
-tune with a mafterburner or NEO - I have the NEO because I like the pretty colors
-blown engines happen, so it would be smart to at least get forged pistons and lower compression
-or you could get a larger pulley from boostology which will decrease boost and make the system safer on stock internals
-you can use NGM's manifolds and both would help, but that is a large price for some modest hp gains, given you could swap pulleys for a fraction of the cost and have far more power

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Be different... Go with the Vortech (RIPP) setup. Mine will be up and running in a week or two and sooner or later us Vortech guys will be right up there with the Assasins. Nothing against TC, NGM, or Alpine, but the vortech is something different and that is half the fun.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zeenon, I read that first... and although the assassin is posting great gains and seems like everyones choice here on NT, I'd have to agree with shady. Being different is definately half the fun. I'm just worried about the reliablity issues asscoiated with the Vortec. My Tib is my only car, and my girlfriend drives the total opposite way for work. It'd be hard for me to get around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also, as a p.s., I was looking into the pulleys as well, that's why I geared my question towards the intake manifold. What is the benefit of adding that second piece? is there more HP to be unleashed? or does it just basically look pretty and do the same job? [Not trying to be facetious, just doing the research. NGM only talks of the gains on the top portion. And although their credability with this site seems to be god-like which leads me to assume there is extra hp, I want to be certain before I invest that much money.]

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thr3bx said:
also, as a p.s., I was looking into the pulleys as well, that's why I geared my question towards the intake manifold. What is the benefit of adding that second piece? is there more HP to be unleashed? or does it just basically look pretty and do the same job? [Not trying to be facetious, just doing the research. NGM only talks of the gains on the top portion. And although their credability with this site seems to be god-like which leads me to assume there is extra hp, I want to be certain before I invest that much money.]
I'm not sure if there is a dyno for the lower intake, but it is logic to assume that removing bottlenecks (stock lower manifold) on the intake side will allow more air into the engine and power will follow. That and the lower manifold is a fraction of the cost of the upper so why not?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Thr3bx said:
zeenon, I read that first... and although the assassin is posting great gains and seems like everyones choice here on NT, I'd have to agree with shady. Being different is definately half the fun. I'm just worried about the reliablity issues asscoiated with the Vortec. My Tib is my only car, and my girlfriend drives the total opposite way for work. It'd be hard for me to get around.
wait till boostology works out all the kinks in the current system. It should be anytime soon

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Zaion said:
wait till boostology works out all the kinks in the current system. It should be anytime soon
I think the kinks have already been worked out by a select few members. It's just the kit doesn't retail in this version yet. I don't really think there is that much R&D, persay, to do.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Good luck you will need it (lots and lots of it) with the RIPP kit. You are playing a dangerous game if it is your only source of transportation.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
being different?????, there is a 99.9% change that youll be the only assassin in your area, there is not that many out

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so say i DO go with the assassin. What inner components have to be replaced? I know the sniper says no mods... but i'm thirsty for HP. [does have a nice screaming sound though].

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
MrPhotoman said:
Good luck you will need it (lots and lots of it) with the RIPP kit. You are playing a dangerous game if it is your only source of transportation.
Problems have been nil for those who convert it to a recirculating kit and move the MAF.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You will definitely have problems with the ripp kit, we all did and still do. build your bottom end up get the recirculating kit and you will have an aswome motor.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
and you will be slower than the NGM supercharged cars too. Why do you think no one that is RIPP supercharged ever posts timeslips? I would be willing to bet a 300whp RIPP supercharged car is slower than a 250whp NGM or Alpine supercharged car. Chances are it will be much less reliable as well but hey it is your money.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
shady said:
Be different... Go with the Vortech (RIPP) setup. Mine will be up and running in a week or two and sooner or later us Vortech guys will be right up there with the Assasins. Nothing against TC, NGM, or Alpine, but the vortech is something different and that is half the fun.
There are plenty who have gone with Ripp's setup, but few that actually worked lol. There are still alot of kinks needed to be worked out and maybe boostology can get this kit running the way it should be.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
MrPhotoman said:
and you will be slower than the NGM supercharged cars too. Why do you think no one that is RIPP supercharged ever posts timeslips? I would be willing to bet a 300whp RIPP supercharged car is slower than a 250whp NGM or Alpine supercharged car. Chances are it will be much less reliable as well but hey it is your money.
That is true I have yet to see a single timeslip of a Vortech s/c car. Tons of people claim that Ross ran a 12.88 but no video or timeslip to back it up. Alpine and NGM guys have at least a timeslip...

But a 300 whp vortech tib should be faster than a roots s/c that has 250whp from a roll. If traction is good, a roots setup would probably win on the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Im gonna stay outta this one. Good luck with your choice, I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
MrPhotoman said:
so?

both ngm, alpine, and ripp are slower than mine...

·
Banned
20 Posts
Zaion said:
so?

both ngm, alpine, and ripp are slower than mine...
I sit back and see you brag about your car but have yet to see a single timeslip or vid of your fast as s Tib. Show some proof instead of talking sh!t.. Or did I somehow not see your slip and vid post?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts