Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now im looking at the dc headers and i currently have I/E. is a tuner just for extra power? will i cause my engine premature damage without a fuel tuner and I/H/E?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
To build off that question could we also throw a nice stage 4 on before the tuner? Granted I'll probably get the tuner first.

And thanks for asking the question, I was wondering this even though I was 99% sure we are safe without a tuner.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
you dont ever NEED a tuner untill you go FI

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i ran the current set up without a tune for a month with 0 (ZERO!) issues. And i made power but with a tune i gained even more power. So yes u can run I/H/E and stg4 with no tune

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
One of the guys out here with a 03 had i/h/e/stg.4 and took it for a dyno. His baserun was like a 15 a/f, however you really wont hurt a N/A motor unless you're 16+.

My expierence. I had those same mods cept no headers and a mafterburner. We added 10% more fuel just in case and took it to a dyno. I ran lower than 10 a/f lol. So in the end it was around 12% leaner in the higer rpms. So basically with headers you may run lean, without headers-rich. At least this is the case for my 04.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
You can run it w/o a tuner, but your not taking advantage of your performance mods if you don't. Most cars (including tibs) are tuned for economy, not performance. A good tune will give you more power across the board with headers instead of higher up.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if i would get a mafterburner, i could take it to a dyno and get it tuned? also, does NGM sell a pretuned one for I/H/E and no IM. if so, how does it work, is it plug and play?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I believe they do sell pretuned mafterburners but if I remember correctly thats just to hold you over till you can get to a dyno.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
so if i would get a mafterburner, i could take it to a dyno and get it tuned? also, does NGM sell a pretuned one for I/H/E and no IM. if so, how does it work, is it plug and play?
Yeah thats NGM NA tune-its for I/H/E. Stg. 4 guys should richen it more top end. Basically its almost like grabbing a tune off of someone's else car. It wont mean that will be the best tune, but at least its something. To get the best tune take it to a dyno and put your own custom tune on.

I believe they do sell pretuned mafterburners but if I remember correctly thats just to hold you over till you can get to a dyno.
You dont need a pretuned MB to hold you over unless your f/i. Just keep it at 0

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Thats what I thought but for the F/I guys the pretuned is just temporary, Correct?
The one i received with my Assassin didn't include any type of tune.

I wouldn't say that it's required to have a fuel tuner, but I would highly recommend it. I plan on installing my wideband and mafterburner tomorrow. I finished the header install today, and the car is running EXTREMELY rich. I know every car is different, but I want my gas mileage back.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Thats what I thought but for the F/I guys the pretuned is just temporary, Correct?
Heres the real question.
Should you tune after every mod added or just wait till you get done your set up.
Say we're going with...i/h/e and a stg 4.
Tuning after every mod would be silly, unless, you have alot of $$$ to waste on dyno time. OR if you have a fuel tuner and wideband. You could just make a couple passes on a back street or something and tune yourself.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
The one i received with my Assassin didn't include any type of tune.

I wouldn't say that it's required to have a fuel tuner, but I would highly recommend it. I plan on installing my wideband and mafterburner tomorrow. I finished the header install today, and the car is running EXTREMELY rich. I know every car is different, but I want my gas mileage back.
With your kit though you have the bigger injectors so thats why it didnt come with a tune. Just want people to make sure that they cant get away without fuel mods/tune FI. Sure if your pig rich you can get away with it lol

Heres the real question.
Should you tune after every mod added or just wait till you get done your set up.
Say we're going with...i/h/e and a stg 4.
If you really dont want to spend alot of money on dynos, then yeah you can wait til you get all the major bolt on you wanted. I/H/E without tune sucks low end powerwise. If you buy a new MB from NGM then ask for a pretune. If you get a used tuner, then just reset it at 0 til you can get to a dyno.

Its like 120 a hour at our place and usually N/A tuning goes quick so you might be able to get charged half.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, whats a good A/F ratio thats close to stock, maybe slighter better for performance. i dont want to go to extreme cause i plan on driving this car over 100k

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
well, whats a good A/F ratio thats close to stock, maybe slighter better for performance. i dont want to go to extreme cause i plan on driving this car over 100k
N/A cars like seeing around13-14. Thats y at the dyno you should make sure you play around with the tuning at bit because you might make the most power at 14:1 or at 13:1. Dont just tune at 13 and think thats where you'll make the most power ya know.

Also N/A mods still allow the car to be very reliable. No one can guarantee that our engines or tranny will last that long, but with proper maintaince and not alot of abusing I dont see why not.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
yeah i know some NA who made power at 12.5, i made my best about 13.6 -13.7

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hmmm Looks like a wideband and safc are in my future., thena stage 4. This was a very helpful post/ Almost sticky worthy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts