Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Tuner necessary w/headers?

786 views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  05Tib 
#1 ·
right now im looking at the dc headers and i currently have I/E. is a tuner just for extra power? will i cause my engine premature damage without a fuel tuner and I/H/E?

#3 ·
To build off that question could we also throw a nice stage 4 on before the tuner? Granted I'll probably get the tuner first.

And thanks for asking the question, I was wondering this even though I was 99% sure we are safe without a tuner.

#5 ·
i ran the current set up without a tune for a month with 0 (ZERO!) issues. And i made power but with a tune i gained even more power. So yes u can run I/H/E and stg4 with no tune

#6 · (Edited)
One of the guys out here with a 03 had i/h/e/stg.4 and took it for a dyno. His baserun was like a 15 a/f, however you really wont hurt a N/A motor unless you're 16+.

My expierence. I had those same mods cept no headers and a mafterburner. We added 10% more fuel just in case and took it to a dyno. I ran lower than 10 a/f lol. So in the end it was around 12% leaner in the higer rpms. So basically with headers you may run lean, without headers-rich. At least this is the case for my 04.

#8 ·
so if i would get a mafterburner, i could take it to a dyno and get it tuned? also, does NGM sell a pretuned one for I/H/E and no IM. if so, how does it work, is it plug and play?

#10 ·
Yeah thats NGM NA tune-its for I/H/E. Stg. 4 guys should richen it more top end. Basically its almost like grabbing a tune off of someone's else car. It wont mean that will be the best tune, but at least its something. To get the best tune take it to a dyno and put your own custom tune on.

I believe they do sell pretuned mafterburners but if I remember correctly thats just to hold you over till you can get to a dyno.
You dont need a pretuned MB to hold you over unless your f/i. Just keep it at 0

#12 ·
The one i received with my Assassin didn't include any type of tune.

I wouldn't say that it's required to have a fuel tuner, but I would highly recommend it. I plan on installing my wideband and mafterburner tomorrow. I finished the header install today, and the car is running EXTREMELY rich. I know every car is different, but I want my gas mileage back.

#17 ·
well, whats a good A/F ratio thats close to stock, maybe slighter better for performance. i dont want to go to extreme cause i plan on driving this car over 100k

#18 ·
N/A cars like seeing around13-14. Thats y at the dyno you should make sure you play around with the tuning at bit because you might make the most power at 14:1 or at 13:1. Dont just tune at 13 and think thats where you'll make the most power ya know.

Also N/A mods still allow the car to be very reliable. No one can guarantee that our engines or tranny will last that long, but with proper maintaince and not alot of abusing I dont see why not.

#19 ·
yeah i know some NA who made power at 12.5, i made my best about 13.6 -13.7

#20 ·
Hmmm Looks like a wideband and safc are in my future., thena stage 4. This was a very helpful post/ Almost sticky worthy.

#21 ·
a good idea. With the wideband u can tune with what u have, then each time u add a mod u can tune some more. As for me, i dont have a wideband and paying $126 everytime i added a mod was crazy so i just simply waited till this point and went with a dyno. I ran I/H/E for probably 5 months with no issues and with the Stage4 for atleast 2 weeks with no issues.

#24 ·
Yeah my 03 Tib had always run in the 12.5-13.1 af with just the I/H/E and a baseline tune set at 5% across the board, but that was without the Stg4 intake. So yeah if ya want the most performance out of your bolt ons a piggy back sure is nice (Mafterburner,SMT-6,SAFC-2, ect;)but not required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.