Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a turbo or maybe the a full kit for the i4 because the stock 148 hp is not doing it for me. I am not all to knowledgeable on the topic so anything will help

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
455 Posts
Kits don't exist anymore. You are 10 years too late for any real aftermarket support. You will need to fabricate and source each individual part yourself. Stay away from ebay! All those "kits" are universal garbage that still require fabrication.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You can use a Evo turbo manifold and modify it to work , then just get an universal intercooler, piping lines , then bigger fuel pump and injectors and a clutch and a standalone ecu

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can use a Evo turbo manifold and modify it to work , then just get an universal intercooler, piping lines , then bigger fuel pump and injectors and a clutch and a standalone ecu
Do you have any links?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
455 Posts
For that price, there's no way that turbo will last very long. You should expect to spend $3k or more for a real quality kit. $1200 of which should be the turbocharger by itself. I would also be suspicious that the title says "JDM" when Hyundai is clearly KDM lol... Like I said, there aren't any complete kits specially designed for the Tiburon anymore. If you look at the compatibility list, you will see they have a whole range of BETA I and BETA II vehicles. All of which have different configurations under the hood. There's no way that kit is a one size fits all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For that price, there's no way that turbo will last very long. You should expect to spend $3k or more for a real quality kit. $1200 of which should be the turbocharger by itself. I would also be suspicious that the title says "JDM" when Hyundai is clearly KDM lol... Like I said, there aren't any complete kits specially designed for the Tiburon anymore. If you look at the compatibility list, you will see they have a whole range of BETA I and BETA II vehicles. All of which have different configurations under the hood. There's no way that kit is a one size fits all.
thank you man, I’m really new to all this and want to get into it and make a really clean ride. Gotta start somewhere

·
Registered
271 Posts
@Toran the fact that the turbo kit is listed as "JDM" in a KDM car screams suspicion.

Besides, the 2.0L Beta in the Tiburon makes 138hp, not 148. Sorry for the further disappointment.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
455 Posts
That’s hurts my soul
Not to rub salt in the wound... but for reference here is a custom turbo parts list from an ancient post circa 2007. $4k including a used $200 turbo out of an Evo:

Evo VIII Turbo $200.00
SharkRacing Manifold
SharkRacing O2 Housing
SharkRacing Downpipe $1,100.00
CXRacing 28x7x2.5 Intercooler $100.00
1G DSM recirc valve $60.00
AEM F/IC $397.80
Innovate DB Wideband $265.00
Fuel Regulator w/ Pressure Gauge $166.00
Turbo Timer $89.00
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump $85.00
JM Fab Oil Catch Can $61.00
650cc Injectors $346.00
ARP Headstuds $90.00
Decomp headgasket $240.00
Prosport Boost Gauge $82.00
Prosport Oil Temp $40.00
ATC Clutch $322.65
All hoses and fittings $200.00
QTP Exhaust Cutout flange $151.95
QTP Exhaust Cutout pipe $42.95
Custom FMIC Piping
A good tune

Total $4,039.35

There are the specs so far of the kit I'm doing. Since your goals are lower than mine (300 - 350), you could get a smaller turbo and injectors and mebbe save a bit. Anyways, just a guideline.
I suggest buying an angle grinder and a welder because you will be fabricating a lot of components in that list. Most of the key turbo components simply do not exist anymore.

To get you started here is a super low quality manifold that will probably crack on you:

Good luck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am trying to find a turbo or maybe the a full kit for the i4 because the stock 148 hp is not doing it for me. I am not all to knowledgeable on the topic so anything will help
It'll only take a few minutes to Google Hyundai beta 2.0 l turbo manifold. The $150 one with the wastegate mount on top and the turbo mount on the bottom is as inexpensive as turbo manifolds get in the whole world. By the way you only have 140 horsepower if you have a Beta 1. You have less horsepower if you have a Beta 2.

I bought a used eBay turbo for my little brother who got it on a Honda del Sol. I bought my 2000 Tiburon 3 years ago . The first trip to drag strip, running 8th mile, was 14.5 seconds, Bone stock less than 100,000 mi on the car....... That used eBay turbo took entire seconds off my car, with a tTial wastegate, no intercooler at all, and a good blow off valve. You got to get a good fuel pump. And if I could do it over I would get a two or three to one ratio fuel pressure regulator based off of boost. I have a 1 lb to 1 lb ratio adjustable fuel pressure regulator now. I didn't know s*** about turbos when I bought that used one for my little brother. When I burn that first turbo up not running an air filter on it, I ordered a brand new one from Amazon . I think it was $103. .... Fast forward a couple years and throw another $1,000 at the car,... Two weeks ago I did 14.8 in the quarter! I can do a roll on in first and second gear on command. And on most days I can do a roll on in third. I can beat my brother's V8 S10 fuel injected 2wd pickup. And I'm faster than my friends 68 Chevelle 327 4 speed. It's nice to have a big huge expensive parts with brand names. But all these guys are leading you somewhat astray. You can kick a whole lot of ass with a $100 Amazon turbo!!! Ultimately my entire setup did cost $2,500 bucks or so , but it all started with a cheap eBay turbo. eBay Amazon whatever.

...ps ... Compared to a $1,200 turbo, I could buy a new f** turbo every year for 12 years before it was cheaper to spend that kind of money on a turbo. I never had a car for 12 years in my entire life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts