Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People say in this forum that owners choose Turbochargers for i4 Tiburons, because the engine block is made in metal, and Superchargers for V6, because the engine block is made in Aluminium.

And my question is: does that mean a "highly" turbocharged V6 definately needs an aftermarket engine block ?

P.S: I searched, so plz no blame. :D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I don't think it's ONLY because of the cast iron in the i4 beta, and the alluminum in the delta. I think it has more to do with room. The delta's engine bay is pretty cramped as is it, so a bolt on that just sits on top of the engine's intake, a.k.a. supercharger, is a much easier thing to add. There are a few who've done the v6 turbo, custom/stealth, but there's quite a bit of tubing and routing of said tubing involved.

·
Registered
200 Posts
v6 have aluminum blocks? like hondas. hm. no bueno

turbo will make more power and thats why most people choose turbo over supercharger. a v6 can make good power on a supercharge due to the 2 extra cylinders and more displacemenet while a 2 litere 4 cylinder finds it hard to make good power on a supercharger .

·
Registered
298 Posts
will a turbo for a I4 be to small for my v6? I know it seems like a dumbe ? please dont burn me cuz Im just trying t get an awnser cuz I really have no clue!!!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
1QUICKSHRK said:
will a turbo for a I4 be to small for my v6? I know it seems like a dumbe ? please dont burn me cuz Im just trying t get an awnser cuz I really have no clue!!!!!
it really depends on the size of your snail. Even small turbo's will give you a boost (no pun intended) in power, it just may not be what you are looking for.

but to the initial question, you'll have to define what "highly" turbocharged means. There are a number for deltas in PR that are laying down numbers around 400whp. More than that and you'll need to do some upgrading to keep that aluminum together. Cast Iron is typically more durable and therefore allows more boost without building it, so it isn't just an I4 vs V6 thing. An example of this is the Mustang, a new mustang comes with a 4.0L V6 cast iron block, a great candidate for boost.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
as much as I'd like to I have a feeling I'll be sitting this one out. My body shop is really dicking around and it is taking a little while to get the car done. and I really just cant make that trip to a tiburon meet without a tiburon... but we'll see how things go, I may have a change of heart, or my car may be finished early.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
JYL_SouthKorea said:
People say in this forum that owners choose Turbochargers for i4 Tiburons, because the engine block is made in metal, and Superchargers for V6, because the engine block is made in Aluminium.

And my question is: does that mean a "highly" turbocharged V6 definately needs an aftermarket engine block ?

P.S: I searched, so plz no blame. :D
the v6 is aluminum and the i4 is cast iron not metal. and no u dont need an built block if u decide to run low boost.

also i had another question. ur only 14 years old why are u on a tiburon forum and ask so many questions about a tib if u cant even get one for atleast another 2 years lol, arnt u still in middle school?

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
^^ haha i was thinking the same thing, but never got around to posting it. i mean your in middle school for gods sake

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
yea at first i thought he had a tib when he came to the boards, then i saw his vids of him and his middle school friends racing on scooters? then im like wtf this old guy plays with middle school kids? then i saw more vids of him in middle school and again im like wtf, hes in middle school. he doesnt even own a tib well not for another 2 years lol

·
Registered
898 Posts
1QUICKSHRK said:
It would work, but i wouldn't recommend it. It'd spool really quick, which is nice, but at the same time thats bad. Ever hear of part throttle overboost? That's what you'll mostly get if you put in like a 14b or a 16g or something like that. Hell even the turbo on my car is way too small for the engine size. Just look into a T3/T4 setup or do some research to see what the best turbo is for your application.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
sungeun6985 said:
the v6 is aluminum and the i4 is cast iron not metal. and no u dont need an built block if u decide to run low boost.

also i had another question. ur only 14 years old why are u on a tiburon forum and ask so many questions about a tib if u cant even get one for atleast another 2 years lol, arnt u still in middle school?
so who ****in cares, i joined the site when i was 15. And honestly IMHO u have little to no room to talk...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
nemo said:
so who ****in cares, i joined the site when i was 15. And honestly IMHO u have little to no room to talk...
cry me a river nemo i can talk if i want. u dont have control on the boards on who can say something and who cant. mwhahaha and that would make u 17. lol

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, I am 14, and I gotta wait 4 more years until I'll get my driver's license :p

·
Registered
631 Posts
sungeun6985 said:

ROFL I dont know whats funier JYL post or your need to correct him. Atleast he is in middle school. Both engines are made of metal, the i4 is made of cast iron or Fe, while the V6 is aluminum or Al.

When seriously tuning an engine there are three factors to take into consideration engine size, angle, and material. Size for boring out an engine if there is not enough metal between the cylinder and the outside wall you risk blowing a hole right through the engine block. Or if you boost too much you risk doing the same thing. Angle: 60 degree v6 are more narrow but there is more internal vibration so more stress is put on everything so increasing damper siz is needed. 90 degree is wider and lower but there is less internal vibration so it can handle more boost. Material alluminum is lighter so its more efficient how ever it cant handle asmuch boost and the walls must be thicker. With cast iron the walls can be thinner with out causing engine failure, and the engine can take more boost, but its much heavier so more horsepower and torque is needed in order to be efficient. Plus since its heavier it throughts off the balance of the car.

That being said our engine block has yet to see its boost maximum I thinks someone is runing over 20PSI(obviously not on stock internals thought)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
DarkSouledSRT said:
It would work, but i wouldn't recommend it. It'd spool really quick, which is nice, but at the same time thats bad. Ever hear of part throttle overboost? That's what you'll mostly get if you put in like a 14b or a 16g or something like that. Hell even the turbo on my car is way too small for the engine size. Just look into a T3/T4 setup or do some research to see what the best turbo is for your application.

no, could you or someone else explain that please?

·
Registered
898 Posts
xFloggingkylex said:
no, could you or someone else explain that please?
Sure. Basically part throttle overboost is too much boost at partial throttle. I have my wastegate set at 17psi, so if i go over 8.5 or 9 psi at part throttle then i will throw a code and also run lean as well. Basically this happens because the turbo is too small for the cars engine and spools up way too quickly

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.