Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah. theyre trying to push for emissions here but its being seen as another tax so there is huge resistance to it.

As for the OBD port on the car... the OBD shows error codes thru software or apps etc. but it doesnt pass real time data ... so im a bit annoyed about that ..

will see on the XMS unit tho.. it has ability to show realtime visuals .. will look into that at a later stage ..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A quick update.

Chatted to the guys at Perfect Power. The motor is pushing close to 170Kw at the crank at 0.3 bar boost. There was mention of needing more fuel but thats where the larger injectors and fuel pump come in - so that should resolve that issue :)

So basically this currently equates to roughly:
0.3 bar = 4.4 psi
170kw = 226HP

Still have 0.2 or 0.3 bar to go and if we take 20kw per 0.1 bar, it could make close to 200kw (266HP+-) at the crank when complete with the setup i have at say 0.6 bar (8.6PSi +-) which is max i will go at this stage.... safely.

Happy?... yessir I am.. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
..... I'm sure 4.4psi is pushing the stockers way beyond safe duty cycles!!
Yip.. in all honesty, i wasnt anticipating this much at all. So agreed, injectors are a definite. :smile2:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Quick update.

Popped in at Perfect Power yesterday to see progress on the tune and just to see my car again seeing its been a while.

I was presented with a dyno sheet and results of the tune.

Taking into concideration the wastegate spring rate is or was thought to be 0.6 bar, it stopped at just below 0.4bar. Its all fine by me as its a bonus on longevity of the motor seeing its stock everything at the moment.

The sheet shows a before and after. The before was last year September, stock, other than cone filter and cat backs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
yeah.. Garth mentioned it lean'd out some at high rpm.
im ordering the 370z injectors to fit as soon as i can.

as for now.. daily driver... low boost. i enjoy the power between gear change and low end power. its good for now.
possibly in about 2 months the injectors will be available and will be semt for a remap.

drove it around a bit tonite. damn wastegate stuck closed.. bleh. have to remove and check in the morning.. best ots done.. the boost climbed WAY too quick after 3k rpm.. so just feathering the throttle until thats sorted ..

just as reference.. hope it works.. mobile interface is crappy.

https://mobile.facebook.com/gngdevelopments/albums/1239938679359000/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=tagged_with_story

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update

Wastegate sorted. seems the exhaust firegum used to ensure a seal between the manifold flange and wastegate flange stuck to the wastegate valve and stopped it from moving freely. took it apart and added a bit of copper slip grease. worked it a few times by hand and put it all back together.
Wastegate preload seems to be pretty good aswell. it only opens slightly at 0.2bar which allows for fast spooling and boost build up and opens fully at 0.3 to 0.35 bar.
Hopefully by the end of this week I will have a video to upload and share.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No firegum pre-turbo. only after. the flange between the turbo did have some (thin film) to hold the metal gasket in place but nothing that would make it "run over" so to speak an enter the turbine housing.

The firegum used between the turbo and downpipe was slightly more and that is working as it should. Just the wastegate seems to be an issue for now. Although its been cleaned up and smoothed out, it still seems to be sticking closed or open after a while.

On Wednesday nite I joined a couple of guys on a nite ride. Popped onto the highway on the way home, foot flat in 5th for a short burst. Engine ran beautifully. Boosted and maintained 0.3 -0.35 bar then as the car slowed down and i took the offramp and loaded the turbo again, the boost just skyrocketed over 1 bar. I saw it straight away. Luckily I also heard the turbo spooling where I should have heard the wastegate opening - two VERY different sounds - and i slacked off the throttle.

Parked the car and left it till morning.

The guy i went out with the nite before calls me and says to me that his car is full of oil spots - possibly from my car- so i start to think that here i am with a broken engine again. Go to my car, check the floor in front of the car.. its just LOADED with oil ..

After some investigation and thinking that the engine popped or pistons blew, removed the bumper ready for the worst.

Checked the engine bay.. CLEAN.. not a drop of oil
Checked under the engine.. clean with some sweat around the oil filter and joins to the oil cooler.. yet nothing hectic.
Checked oil level.. spot on

It seems that at some spot that this guy and I were driving, we drove thru what we thought was water from an overflowing drain or burst water pipe... turns out that it was a river of oil flowing as water would. Obviously this sprayed on his car, all under my car and got caught up in all the nooks and cranny's in my car and traveled home with me and decided to drip on my garage floor.

Am I relieved? Yes'Sir I am!!!

Wastegate will come off this weekend again and I will try get it swapped out for another one unless the place i bought it from has issues... which im sure they will as a wastgate is not exactly something that wouldnt have wear and tear.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
update..

seems it was too late on the waste gate .. the inevitable happened... getting a pretty bad blow-by on the motor.

After a week of absolutely no issues with it and engine behaving as it should and seriously enjoying the fun factor - all it took was a millisecond in 3rd gear - hit 1.6 bar and PING.

It still runs well and power is all there in first and second it dies off slowly and then the oil smell makes its way thru the vents.

So i went out and bought a new motor to slap in as soon as i can to stay driving (have a bike as well so not too fussed on transport and time it takes to fit the newer motor) then will take the busted motor and build that from the ground up.

My 440cc injectors should have landed by the time i have the replacement motor in as well which will give me a level of comfort until the built motor is ready.

Its gonna be interesting to see what the pistons look like. I remember on my V6 after it blew the standard pistons, 5 out of the 6 had ring landings that were toast.

So on that note..

What are your suggestions on pistons bearing in mind my bank is worth 0.069 of 1 of your dollars.. LOL.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Hate to say it but if you had been properly tuned with larger injectors in the first place even with a WG failure you wouldn't have blown your engine. Did Garth set up any sort of knock or lean safe guards in the Perfect Power standalone?

As for pistons it really depends on your power goals. If you want to stay in the 300-350whp range then stock pistons can handle that with a good tune. If you want to go above 350whp then forged is your only answer. I personally ran CP Drop In sized pistons and loved them. They have a higher silica content than others meaning you don't need a big piston to wall gap meaning no diesel like sound on cold start.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just out of interest which injectors have you ordered? I have found the evo x injectors are NOT a direct fit in the I4 tiburon. The injector base needs a spacer to prevent the injector sitting to deep in the intake manifold and also the fuel rail has to be raised with washers by around 5mm!

Even the injector dynamics 750 or 1000cc need aluminum spacers to prevent the injector sitting to low in the manifold. If you decide to go the ID route then just drop their support guys an email as they will supply the spacers free of charge.

The only injectors I have found to be a true direct fit are the NGM 460cc green injectors. These were able to supply enough fuel for 300whp turbo with the 190lb drop in fuel pump :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
From personal experience with a stock unopened I4 I've found the engine is capable of producing 300whp for around 30,000 miles with minimal sign of wear. The gearbox, specially 3rd gear has a tendency to grenade around the 350whp mark with a qualife lsd installed

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just out of interest which injectors have you ordered?
Audi/VW 440cc
part: 80280155968

They are also a bit longer than stock however the rest of the fitment is fine. nothing a slightly longer bolt to hold them down with wont sort out.

Busy stripping the newer motor i bought 2 weeks back. Need correct dimensions on the pistons, crank, bearings etc. before i order low comp pistons.

Alternatively, i was thinking of leaving the original pistons in the new motor and getting a set of 1800 conrods. I understand the compression will drop WAY too low if i go this route so the thought on this is to deck the block by 2mm which will assist in getting the compression to around 8.5:1 (hopefully) instead of the 7.7:1 that I have found on this mod with just the conrods and pistons with no other mods.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
I would not recommend getting the 1.8L conrod and/or pistons. Not only does it drop your CR way down it completely hoses the quench area of the combustion chamber. Even if you deck the block it will still be hosed.

Get a set of CP OE bore pistons and be done with it! :)

21 - 40 of 70 Posts