Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 99 tiburon fx. 2.0, Yada Yada Yada. This site knows more about these 4 little cylinders than probably the hyundai engineers in 1997 did, so I've got some questions. Right now I'm pretty stock, outside of the usual I/H/E. I want to do a turbo setup but I have a few questions:

What turbo is actually the best? T3? T4? Others?

These usually come with an internal wastegate. Am I fine just using it for say up to around 12psi boost and a max of 250hp, or would external be the way to go?

If external, how do you go about removing the internal one?

What is a good manifold to use? Heard one for an Evo can be used, but idk what modification is required with it. Or would custom creation work best?

Is it difficult to mount an intercooler in between the radiator and bumper, or is there a clearance issue because of the accumulator?

Would a bypass valve be better considering it has a MAF, or would a BOV be fine if put before the MAF?

What's a good tuner to use? Is piggyback the best option or standalone? Prefer to have obd2 so piggyback is preference, but it'd be OK to go standalone.

What are the best brands of tuners and are they hard to use and tune by ones self?

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
How about a read through the "I4 FI" section, there are stickies with ~90% of your questions answered (even though most is for the newer body).

Most MAF systems don't do as well with an external BOV as they tend to go rich (metered air is dumped, ECU does not know that).
Lots of MAF's don't like to be "blown through", they're usually better on the feed/intake side of the compressor (turbo or SC).

Yes, I believe most use an EVO exhaust manifold when going turbo on an I4. A bit of minor work aligning a bolt hole or 2 to make it work on a Tib.

Do some reading, then come back here with questions.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
First, read Maximum Boost and get a GOOD understanding of how turbocharger systems work.

Second, you need to determine your HP goals, reliability, and money you wish to spend.

Without us knowing this, we cannot even begin to help you in decisions on buying parts. Otherwise you'll waste tons of money and have a horribly setup vehicle.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yes, I believe most use an EVO exhaust manifold when going turbo on an I4. A bit of minor work aligning a bolt hole or 2 to make it work on a Tib.
This is not true. It's a poorly designed setup that is far from bolt on and requires more modifications than it's worth. Most start by purchasing a manifold that fits the Beta, then go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read maximum boost, and understand I think quite well how they work. I'm looking for info on this vehicle specific setup. As for hp and goals, like I said 250hp max and around 12psi or lower. Daily driver my tib is. Reliability, very important. I don't want some cheap eBay crap. Cost? Willing to spend whatever I need to in order to get quality parts that'll work and stay working. I have the ability to custom fab and weld/grind everything to make it work and look nice, but im a lazy American so if I can buy it I will

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Then go to Jattus and get a basic turbo manifold. Then purchase a disco potato turbo with internal wastegate. You don't need external with anything under 300whp. You don't need an intercooler if you want to keep it simple. Or, go with a small intercooler. Take measurements behind your support bar and you can guess what will fit. Plumb it all together and tune it with a AEM FIC. Also install a 180lph Walbro fuel pump and 440lb/hr green top injectors and you're done!

/spoonfeed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where can I find a manifold? I have looked and looked and only find them for the 03-08 tibs. Would those work on a beta?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The Beta 1 and 2 can use the same turbo manifolds. I'm using a Beta 2 head in my 01 Tib (oil restrictor removed).

The manifolds you find on ebay are ****. They will crack on you.

Contact Jattus. He makes manifolds for both the RD and GK Tibs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What would be a good brand or place for the turbo itself? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just new to the scene and don't know brands

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There are lots of places that sell GOOD turbos. There are also a lot of places that sell BAD turbos, even knockoffs. Stay off Ebay when buying a turbo and you'll be fine. Since you said money isn't an issue, then talk to Precision Turbo. They sell the latest in turbo technology, have great customer service, and will take care of you should you need a rebuild. You take a huge risk when buying used or from shady dealers.

Treadstone makes a simple quality manifold for low boost applications: http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=68171&prodname=Hyundai+Tiburon+Turbo+Manifold

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cast manifolds are a great way to go for not having headaches every few thousand miles of the cheap tubular ones cracking. They're generally ugly and may not flow as good but for 99% of our power goals they're sufficient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts