Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all this is my 07 2.0 Tib. It’s practically my dream car, gets more looks then any Genesis’s in town and everybody compliments the exhaust mixed with the headers and the sounds it produces. I found a very promising Turbo kit for the Tib online for about $1,050 around that range. I never wanna get rid of my Tib but for anyone out there who is more knowledgeable than myself I wanna know will turbocharging my Tib make it better along with it keeping its reliability for a daily driver?

thank you for anyone’s responses and help
Sincerely
Interesting Job

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
622 Posts
This topic comes up quite alot. Try searching the forum for answers.

Kits don't really exist for our cars. You're probably looking at a universal kit that you have to fabricate yourself. Infact most quality turbochargers (just the turbo itself) should cost you upwards of $1k to start.

In addition to throwing a turbo on your car, how do you expect to tune it? Tuning tools are hard to come by and tuning experts often refuse to attempt tuning your car unless you have a very expensive standalone ECM. There isn't even a community DAMOS or definition file for the 2.0 ECM available to DIY tune it.

I suggest researching some more then set your budget to a minimum of $5k if you want to turbo the car safely and reliably. There are some turbo 2.0s that reliably push 350-400whp as daily drivers so it is possible with enough money. Just don't expect there to be a full bolt on kit or tuning solution readily available.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well first of all thank you very much for your response I appreciate it dearly. This kit I found is claimed to be a full on turbo kit (I will mention the link later) not just for the tiburon but for other Hyundai Vehicles as well. No one in my city does Hyundai tunes, I have spoke with a mechanics shop about an hour away that however does do tuning on Hyundai’s. A tune would be the dream.. I’ve seen lots of OBD2 tuners online advertised for the Tiburon but am reluctant on purchasing because there are like no reviews whatsoever. If you know of any good tunes or tuners please send me the links but the link for the turbo is (NEW 485hp Turbo Kit Hyundai Tiburon Turbocharger Package 2.0L 4 cylinder JDM Manifold Stainless) so feel free to take a look at that and give me your opinions but if I can find a good tuner that would be the first thing before even considering purchasing a turbo kit. Even without a turbo a blow off valve would be nice but I don’t even know if it would make the sounds while shifting or not. I am just starting out with learning about cars and my willingness to learn is very much so up there so I appreciate any help and advice provided :)

-sincerely
Interesting Job

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
622 Posts
Tuners don't exist for the DIY level unfortunately. All the tuners you found are straight snake oil and aren't much more than a few resistors and LEDs in an OBD2 looking connector. You have to use some hacky Russian software to read/write the ECMs. Even if you could read/write the EEPROM at the DIY level there is NO definition file. You can't do much with the data if there's nothing defining where your maps and flags/switches start or end. I know this because I've been reverse engineering the 2.7L ECMs with some success. However, the same desoldering method I use does not work with the 2.0 ECM because the data is encrypted. It must be read out through the OBD2 port using PCMFLash/Tactrix and shorting the EEPROM pin 24 to ground to enter boot mode. I have not successfully read out the 2.0 ECM using that method. Here's an insight into what the tuning looks like more or less:

That kit has been asked about a few times and the consensus is it's no good. The turbo manifold looks OK but the rest is all generic garbage including the turbo. You will want to set a budget of $5k minimum like I said. You can't have reliable power for cheap, and you can't have cheap power that's reliable. The two are not mutually inclusive. Also 485WHP is more than what the stock rotating assembly can take. You should set your sights lower at 400WHP max unless you want to drop another $2k+ on a built bottom end.

Again, full bolt on kits don't exist. At least not a kit of any real quality.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all that information, I will definitely put some more thinking into all this. What about a blow off valve just for the ***** n giggles? To make it sound cool I guess. A tiburon is definitely not the car to tune the living hell out of it and make it into a supra but a blow off valve would be fun even if it makes no power difference. I just do not know where to look or which ones would be good/eligible?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
622 Posts
I strongly suggest researching more. This is really a no brainer... but the blow off valves only work if you have positive pressure in the intake. Your naturally aspirated motor will always have a negative pressure compared to atmosphere so there's no way it could actuate the valve or "blow off" like you are expecting. For a fake performance mod like that you would need to lug around an air compressor or a compressed bottle to actuate it with using a manual valve or an electronic valve.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay! For the record I really appreciate all of your advice and help with all of this. You are a big help because your like super knowledgeable in the Tibby's so thank you for all this help. My current modifications in my Tib is a full titanium ISR catback exhaust and headers but I wanna do more but am not sure where to start and there is not a whole lot of information online so again this is really awesome being able to hear all this from someone like you. I am wanting to install a cold air intake next but there are so many online claiming to be universal and some are for the Tiburon specifically but again am not sure what to go for. I live in Canada so a lot of part sites do not give a full price or even good information regardless if I live in Canada or not lmao but still all of this is awesome to hear. Like previously mentioned my Tiburon is my pride and joy, everyone compliments it (you see Genesis's in my city like you see green grass) so when I tell people my car is the Genesis before the Genesis it instantly gets them interested along with obviously its not a Ferrari but in all honestly... Bitches love the Tiburon.

Again thanks for all the help and thanks for answering all my questions

Sincerely
- InterestingJob

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am 30 years old and I bought the Tiburon because its unique from any other sports car and am always willing to learn more information! :)

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
622 Posts
You are only looking at around 140-150WHP tops out of a naturally aspirated 2.0L with these mods. From the factory it's only about 110WHP (141BHP at the crank) so you're barely regaining what you've lost through your drivetrain.

Headers and exhaust are about the only power adders you can add to the 2.0L without tuning or a turbo. Bigger cams would require a tune to match and ported intakes are hard to find unless you can find a machinist to port one for you. Cold air intakes are pretty much universal. You can either spend $300 on an AEM or $50 on a generic ebay kit and they're more or less the same. They only differ in quality of the clamps, couplers and air filter. You can upgrade the generic ebay kits with silicone couplers and a Spectre or K&N air filter for half the price of a full AEM kit. However, it should be noted that you may experience a lean condition on an 07-08 ECM when using a cold air intake. You are better off with the OEM intake but buy a high flow filter like the K&N for the OEM intake box.

I'm 35 years old and I've owned my Tiburon for 13 years. I won't trade it for anything else because it's been a part of my life for so long and I've invested enough time and energy in it. (Not so much in money because I'm cheap) Friends and family joke that they'll drive my Tiburon to my gravesite so I can be buried in it.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Tiburon is one of the most unique sports cars ever made, that is why I am sure we both can relate on the love we have for our cars and what goes into them!
Again thank you for all your knowledge and help that you have given me!

Sincerely
-InterestingJob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay! For the record I really appreciate all of your advice and help with all of this. You are a big help because your like super knowledgeable in the Tibby's so thank you for all this help. My current modifications in my Tib is a full titanium ISR catback exhaust and headers but I wanna do more but am not sure where to start and there is not a whole lot of information online so again this is really awesome being able to hear all this from someone like you. I am wanting to install a cold air intake next but there are so many online claiming to be universal and some are for the Tiburon specifically but again am not sure what to go for. I live in Canada so a lot of part sites do not give a full price or even good information regardless if I live in Canada or not lmao but still all of this is awesome to hear. Like previously mentioned my Tiburon is my pride and joy, everyone compliments it (you see Genesis's in my city like you see green grass) so when I tell people my car is the Genesis before the Genesis it instantly gets them interested along with obviously its not a Ferrari but in all honestly... Bitches love the Tiburon.

Again thanks for all the help and thanks for answering all my questions

Sincerely
- InterestingJob
I bought the tibby a month ago becuase I’ve been wanting one since I was 16 (19 now) I got the 2008 gs and I’m in love with it, only problem for me is power lol. My question is, where did you get that exhuast from and if it sounds good I’m looking to get one aswell and was it a bolt on exhaust or did you have to take it to a shop?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts