Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...new to this forum and hoping you guys can help a bit. I didnt see any stickys regarding this so here i go. I myself do not own a tiburon but a friend of mine does, and I'm gunna be helping him piece together a turbo kit for his '03 tiburon 4 banger. I admit that my automotive knowledge is focused mainly on toyota and know little on tiburons but am not a stranger to turbos since I drive a boosted car myself. First question I have is whats available in terms turbo manifolds for this motor? anything with a t3 or t3t4 flange on it already? i'd hate for him to go custom manifold since i dont know any good welders around here. second question is for you turbo'd people already...what turbos are commonly used on this engine? looking for any suggestions that spools fairly quick with a pretty good power output. i was thinking one of the trims of the t3t4 but like i said, i dont know much about this engine so i dunno what size turbo we should be looking at. third question...what are you guys using for piggyback? experiences?

lastly...believe the goal is a moderate 200-250whp...tho i dont think he'd mind more lol thnk u much

bboyrugged

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Get a super 60 for that level. The stock motor will hold more power than that.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
yeah, t3 super 60, or a smallest t3/t4 , kspec.com has some manifolds done or sometimes they are being sold over here.

·
Registered
204 Posts
now from what I understand we basically have a 4g63 bottom end right? so what we be able to use internals for a 4g63? such as pistons, crank, rods and so on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok then that takes car of turbo size. thnx for the reply guys :3_chubby: any other sites you guys recommend for turbo parts? also, whats your experiences with piggyback systems for your setups? whats good, whats bad, etc etc? one more thing i forgot to ask was what are you guys using for injectors? thnx again

bboy

cheers for a great community :3_bier:

·
Banned
434 Posts
MAFterburner, SAFCII, SMT6, greddy emanage.....depends on how involved you want to get. I believe the Alpine STGI kit will put you just over 200whp and is pretty much bolt on if you have a decent amount of mechanical aptitude.

Personally I was looking at turboing my i4 a few months back and come to the conclusion that if i were to do it i would get a GT28r, i forgot which trim and a/r and such right now though so you might want to look at that also.

Ive been told stock STI injectors are 440cc and direct fit for the i4 guys also so you might check into that also. a full set of those can be had on ebay for around a hundred bucks from what i remember.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Welcome to NT.com and good luck with the boost project!

As for manifolds, there are also OBX manifolds on Ebay with T3 flanges on em, but their history as a reliable manifold has been sketchy. Apkraven already mentioned www.kspec.com as well. They have a wide variety of manifolds and flange options, but at a price...

The engine can handle pretty much whatever you can throw at it. It has a 10:1 CR right off the bat, and many will lower that with pistons or a spacer. JonGTR is approaching 300WHP on an unopened 2.0 engine right now...basically if you want to shoot for 200-250WHP a smaller turbo will do the trick no problem. Do the math and take your pick!

The Alpine Developments Stage 1 kit dynoed at 226WHP at 12 psi. It does this with a small TD04H Mitsu turbocharger. I hav ethis kit, love it to death, but will be swapping out the turbo to the afore-mentioned GT2860RS. The GT30 has even come across my mind...

Most of the turbo'd 4's around here are running with an Alpine setup of some nature, and they include a cast iron log style manifold.
The stock engine is equipped with 190cc/min injectors. Alpine uses a large 5th injector to supplement fueling, along with upgrading the primaries to 290cc/min (in the Stage 1 kit anyhow...) It also uses the Unichip piggyback ECU to control the fuel and timing with good results.

Once you get upwards of 300HP, you will want to think of upgrading your pistons, and after the 400-450 area, your rods may want to be swapped out as well. The territory you're talking about is well known, and the engine CAN handle it...no sweat.

The stock fuel pump will be up to the task as well, but if you decide on some larger injectors, you'll want to consider a fuel pump. The Walbro 190lph GSS250 (2nd gen DSM) is a direct swap in pump. Also, be aware that the Tiburon has a returnless fuel system, so there is no return line, and hence no fuel pressure regulator at the rail....If you go for huge power, you'll want to convert to a return style, but that won't concern you!

Aaaaaaaaaand...anything else you should be able to hunt down/search on this forum...there's plenty of info here.
***Be sure to do a search of the V6 Forced induction forums for some 4-Cyl stuff too, as the forums were split into individual engine categories not too long ago, but not all threads were swapped over to the correct (I4)category.

-BRR

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
stock wrx injectors are 440cc, stock sti-550cc

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
WRX injectors are NOT a direct swap. The only thing that is the same is the injector connector. It took quite a bit of modification to the WRX injector to get it to work with the OEM manifold and fuel rail.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
and i already have the wrx ones. enlight please the list of what i'll need to do to make them fit.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Get the FORD MOTORSPORT 440's off of Ebay. They have "green tops".

Sometimes you can find them used on other sites.

You can find them in a 4 pack. Or you can find them in an 8 pack and get them cheaper and split them with someone.

We have Ford/Bosche style injectors.

·
Banned
434 Posts
dmdicks said:
WRX injectors are NOT a direct swap. The only thing that is the same is the injector connector. It took quite a bit of modification to the WRX injector to get it to work with the OEM manifold and fuel rail.

thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Sorry Jon, RDs and GKs use completely different styles of injectors. The RD Tiburons use a rectangle style connector whereas the BetaII GK use an oval style connector. I did quite a bit of research awhile ago and it seems like the Ford Focus SVT, New Mustang, and the Nissan 3.5L V6 use similar injectors that should drop in. You can use WRX/STI injectors but you need modify the upper part of the injector to accept the right size O-ring in order for it to seal against the OEM fuel rail. Not worth it IMHO because if you screw up the the injector will leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thnx for the info guys. really helpful :3_chubby: if any more questions pop up i'll make sure to ask the experts of this site again. cheers :3_bier:

bboy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the stage 3 shark racing turbo? Is it any good? Becuase that comes wiht a GT28R turbo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts