Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Hyundai Tiburon GT. v6.

The alternator went, how do I replace it, I can't figure out how to get to the thing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hay nafe, what part of Jersey you in?
Anyway its not too difficult, but it's probably easier to remove the right front wheel as well as the right front wheel-well plastic trim to get at the bolts from the side... unless you can fit your hands down in front of the belts there. Although, I think the bolts for the alternator might be too long to get out through that way, as well as the alternator from the top back there.
As far as I know there are only the two long bolts that go thru it from the right side of the engine bay, just un-tension the belt, pull it off, do the wheel stuff above, unplug the harness from the alternator and get those two bolts out. Then reverse.

Reactions: shotdovvn

·
Registered
855 Posts
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/tiburon-general-discussion/205780-anyone-have-guide-replacing-v6-alternator.html

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/tiburon-general-discussion/201988-diy-alternator-help.html

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/tiburon-general-discussion/215419-help-replacing-alternator.html

i can give you a quick synopsis of what to do lol bit sry i dont have any pic... well maybe ill try and find some.

so step 1.
Ensure that it is your alternator and not your slow blow fuse... (one located on battery positive)
disconnect your battery negative
remove engine plastics
Jack up the passenger side and remove the wheel.
using a 3/8" ratchet (and a johnson bar if you are not strong enough), place the 3/8" ratchet on the belt tensioner (there is a hole that will fit it.
move the tensioner so the belt is loose and take it off one of the pulley's (it does not matter witch one)
move the belt out of the way of the alternator as best you can.
there are only 2 bolts that hold the alternator on the car
first unplug the connector on the alternator
then using a 10mm wrench or socket remove the charging cable (BE CAREFUL! you dont want to loosen the stud, this is the feed line from the battery to the alternator basically what charges the battery) it is usually covered by a rubber boot.
now that the wires are loose and there is no belt you can begin removing the actual alternator
the two bolts also have corresponding nuts if i remember correctly, remove both of them,
the alternator will not want to come out as it has been sitting there for quite a while under pressure from the belt tensioner. do not be afraid to give it a smack with a hammer as you dont need it any ways its not working lol
now the v6 is really squeezed into the tiburon engine bay so you will have to negotiate it out of the car (Be careful not to disturb the power steering line to your left (firewall) it is common for that line to leak so dont give it any reason to start.
it wont be fun or easy but i guarantee you it comes out, through the wheel well.

Putting in the new one is worse than taking the old one out. the worst part is lining up the 2 bolts.. i used bearing grease to lube up the alternator so it would slide in easier..
Pretty much installation is the same as removal minus the hammer if you can lol.

ill see if i can find pics,,, i also recommend at least a 6 pack of (insert favorite beer here) to help you finish

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hay nafe, what part of Jersey you in?
Anyway its not too difficult, but it's probably easier to remove the right front wheel as well as the right front wheel-well plastic trim to get at the bolts from the side... unless you can fit your hands down in front of the belts there. Although, I think the bolts for the alternator might be too long to get out through that way, as well as the alternator from the top back there.
As far as I know there are only the two long bolts that go thru it from the right side of the engine bay, just un-tension the belt, pull it off, do the wheel stuff above, unplug the harness from the alternator and get those two bolts out. Then reverse.
OKay cool, doesn't sound so bad. How long can the battery itself run the spark plugs of the car, with everything off? I need to bring it to work to do the work, I am not working outside in 10 degree weather outside my apartment.

My work is about 20 minutes away, about 12 mils. You think the battery will have enough juice to keep the spark plugs and computer going before the car dies? The alternator is just completely dead no charge whatsoever.

I live in Spotswood by the way. But having the alternator shipped to my work, as there is a garage there and I can make use of my impact wrench. And a nice warm cozy inside.

Thank you as well. I couldn't find it for the life of me.

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
I would guess a modern "computerized car" will run 45 minutes or so on just a FULLY charged battery with everything you can turned off as a "total loss electrical system". Near the end, high loads may lead to misfires as the ignition gets weaker and has issues with the load.

I would almost charge it overnight, then start it up & get some warm-up while still on the charger.

-Fan off
-Radio off
-Lights off

·
Registered
855 Posts
I drove about 1.5 hours at night with headlights on (fan and radio off) until the battery died. By the time I got home, I had no headlights or interior lights. Was freaky!

If you do run out, call a friend and hook him up with booster cables. Leave it like that for 20~30 minutes and you should get another 10~20 minutes out of her.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I made it. Barely. (Noting I drove this home from my friends house another 24 miles, during the time the alternator failed.) (Until I figured out it was the alternator.)

And Because my Apartment complex is awesome there are no AC outlets outside and I didn't have an extension long enough to go from my door to my car to charge the battery overnight.

ABS turned off, TPMS turned off, speedomoter stopped working, tacometer stopped working, fan blower stopped, rear defogger refused to turn on.
Windows wouldn't work etc.

It does amaze me that the car computer started shutting stuff off to maintain power to itself and the sparkplugs, actually amazing.

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
It does amaze me that the car computer started shutting stuff off to maintain power to itself and the sparkplugs, actually amazing.
I think it's more that the other items required more voltage than what was there, thus they quit. The ignition is a fairly light load, but the spark does get weaker, thus failing under load.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nevermind I am an idiot, I got it.

Yeah wasn't having that, just took the tie rod off, to get the alternator out. Wasn't going to struggle for 4 hours to get the alternator out. Made it a breeze with the tid rod off.

I need an alignment anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Hyundai Tiburon GT. v6.

The alternator went, how do I replace it, I can't figure out how to get to the thing.

So I bought my 2006 tuscani tiburon v6 gt yesterday June 27 2020 and the guy said there was a short somewhere killing the battery but I got my multimeter out and the wire coming from the alternator to the battery wasn’t giving power so I checked the connection off the back of the alternator to the battery and the wire was loose, so I went to tighten it and the stud snapped. So I YouTubed for about an hour to find a solution on how to pull the alternator out and finally Adam Hamrick on YouTube had a good solution that worked for me. The upper bolt that holds the alternator in place is slotted, so get a bar and pry it up from under the alternator off the tie rod or axel. I then pulled the 3 nuts off the shock tower so the axel would be lower giving me just enough room when my gf stood on the brake rotor for me while I wiggled the alternator out the space it clears. (btw there’s a wire harness attached to the back as well as the battery lead wire.) good luck and I hope this helps anyone who needs it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts