Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how much of a difference underdrive pulleys make to a 2.0

Anybody ever use any?
Also I don't think you can find them new anymore right?

·
Super Moderator
4,661 Posts
Definitely lightweight pulleys will free up some engine power. As for underdrive specifically, I am unsure if it has a benefit beyond the light weight (probably does) but it would be smaller than your standard pulley and therefore a lighter weight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I highly doubt you’ll find new ones but you might... also underdrive pulley (smaller crank pully) will basically give less power to your alternator power steering and ac the amount they use is very little, if you took the belt off you might get 5-10 hp... so you won’t get a noticeable difference, with other mods sure you will small things add up... pully itself might give 2-3 hp difference with quicker revs tho, not adding just freeing up

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think shark racing still sells underdrive crank pulleys for the 2.0 and yea it will give less power to the accessories but I read some people don't have a problem and others do. I might get it at some point as like you said hopefully all the things together would make a difference. I've got a CAI on and have maintec 421 headers on the way so if I ever get that pulley hopefully all that would do something, and eventually an exhaust when I find a deal on one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my lightweight (not underdrive) pulley here:
Didn't install it jet, but should fit.
Just send them an email, they are nice and helpfull.
Price is okay!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just want to throw this in here a great way to get some extra “power” (freeing up power) is to get a set of light rims, I picked up a random set of aluminum 15 inch rims out of a junk yard they only weigh 35lbs each compared to stock witch is 45lbs.. do the math 10lbs a wheel X4 wheels is 40lbs also it’s rotational so times that by 8 and it feels like 320lbs difference, and let me tell you you can really tell a difference.. also a lightweight flywheel is supposed to do quite a bit to somthing like 350 lbs in 1st down to like 50 in 5th so that would help a lot too

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I've been considering the wheels but can't afford that at the moment plus here in Malta there isn't anything good.

I've got these stock rims on, no idea how much they weigh
https//images.app.goo.gl/TVZDHjJYHgBvkwGcA

although I'd never put 15s on as they are way too small for this car. And yea I've read somewhere the 'weight' difference in each gear of the pulley, sounds insane

·
Registered
77 Posts
215,55,15 is the same height as 225 45,17 it’s like half a centimetre off just thicker sidewalls... I have 2 tiburons a2003 gt 5 speed and 2006 se 6speed.. I’ll be putting in a stage 2 with a lightweight flywheel this weekend I’ll let you know how big of a difference it makes... the flywheel only weighs 13.5 lbs stock is like 35 or 40 so hopefully will get some good results.. somebody did the math 1st is supposed to be like a 350lbs difference so should be good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts