Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally installed the aem fic with the uego with no issues and no CEL for now lol.. What’s left is i gotta install the turbo parts etc….. yeah you are probably wondering why i didn’t do that first?!

Well since i’m basically doing this project by myself. Why not start on the engine management part of the project.. which is the most important part of going Force Induction … Slapping a turbo or supercharger is no good without a proper standalone or in my case a piggyback for now .. It may seem asinine to some but i think it’s the best route to go first and i’m glad i did…. that way i have a better understanding of how this FIC works on a N/A tib….. Gotta give credit when it’s due.. to Chase206 believe or not he’s has been very helpful with a lot of the resources i needed to make this fic run right especially with the PIN out he so graciously provided and amongst a confusion on the FiC diagram… And Rushking kudos to you also for so sharing your boomslang version of the V6.
Car White Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

Computer Personal computer Laptop Netbook Peripheral

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
799 Posts
Just a heads up, the FIC isn't always suitable to tune with where you need to enrichen the air fuel mixture earlier than the OEM ECM tune is ready for it. The unfortunate thing is that the OEM ECM is always monitoring your upstream O2 sensors and adjusting LTFTs and other metrics to maintain a 14.7:1 AFR. The exception to that is during WOT acceleration or closed throttle deceleration. How and when does the OEM ECM trigger WOT or open loop acceleration you might ask? Well It's based on TPS position and RPM. Here's a quick graph showing you the OEM TPS trigger points: (Values are TPS %)

Font Display device Electronic device Symmetry Circle

So with that you can assume that you need 75% throttle before the ECM enters open loop and ignores input from your upstream O2 sensors. If your FIC is richening the AFR before the OEM ECM is in open loop it will start adjusting LTFTs to lean out your mixture. This is a constant battle back and forth to and you'll bang your head against the wall trying to tune your car. While the OEM ECM is in open loop it will ignore the O2 sensor input and won't consider it for LTFT modification.

If you run into problems tuning and need some assistance with the OEM ECM, let me know. I can reflash and make some basic changes such as lowering the WOT TPS open loop. For example, the following is where NGM/Fiebruz set their WOT TPS trigger points:

Font Display device Electronic device Electric blue Technology

You could use something similar to help with tuning on the FIC and prevent closed loop issues from the OEM ECM.

Reactions: MrRob1080

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a heads up, the FIC isn't always suitable to tune with where you need to enrichen the air fuel mixture earlier than the OEM ECM tune is ready for it. The unfortunate thing is that the OEM ECM is always monitoring your upstream O2 sensors and adjusting LTFTs and other metrics to maintain a 14.7:1 AFR. The exception to that is during WOT acceleration or closed throttle deceleration. How and when does the OEM ECM trigger WOT or open loop acceleration you might ask? Well It's based on TPS position and RPM. Here's a quick graph showing you the OEM TPS trigger points: (Values are TPS %)

View attachment 137428

So with that you can assume that you need 75% throttle before the ECM enters open loop and ignores input from your upstream O2 sensors. If your FIC is richening the AFR before the OEM ECM is in open loop it will start adjusting LTFTs to lean out your mixture. This is a constant battle back and forth to and you'll bang your head against the wall trying to tune your car. While the OEM ECM is in open loop it will ignore the O2 sensor input and won't consider it for LTFT modification.

If you run into problems tuning and need some assistance with the OEM ECM, let me know. I can reflash and make some basic changes such as lowering the WOT TPS open loop. For example, the following is where NGM/Fiebruz set their WOT TPS trigger points:

View attachment 137429

You could use something similar to help with tuning on the FIC and prevent closed loop issues from the OEM ECM.
I will def PM on you with your assistance.. I had to uninstall the harness to make some modifications bc their was no way i could mount it on the driver side without hitting the fic and as for the wide band i just connected to the aux of the fic and the sensor .. i just removes the oem one on the front and installed the uego sensor .. just to see how it would function … a cel popped up a few days ago with these codes
Font Technology Screenshot Darkness Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
799 Posts
You absolutely cannot remove the upstream sensor from the circuit. You especially cannot replace it with the wideband for the upstream sensor. You must keep upstream sensors so the OEM ECM can do it's normal thing with the narrowband sensor. Your car will not run right with out it. Remember your FIC6 is a piggyback... not a standalone.

Why do you have a MAF code? Did you remove the MAF? You can't remove that either... You must keep all the OEM sensors and controls to use a piggyback. The piggyback simply monitors existing sensors or intercepts and modifies inputs/outputs to/from your ECM.

The wideband, especially if it is an LSU4.9 sensor, must be a minimum of 36 inches from the head mounted at least 10 degrees above horizontal before any catalytic converters or resonators. If you mount it after a cat or resonator it won't be accurate at all.

Here is a snippet from an AEM EUGO wideband kit with an LSU4.9 sensor. They are finicky but they don't require free air calibration and are more accurate than the older LSU4.2 sensors.

Font Parallel Rectangle Triangle Slope

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You absolutely cannot remove the upstream sensor from the circuit. You especially cannot replace it with the wideband for the upstream sensor. You must keep upstream sensors so the OEM ECM can do it's normal thing with the narrowband sensor. Your car will not run right with out it. Remember your FIC6 is a piggyback... not a standalone.

Why do you have a MAF code? Did you remove the MAF? You can't remove that either... You must keep all the OEM sensors and controls to use a piggyback. The piggyback simply monitors existing sensors or intercepts and modifies inputs/outputs to/from your ECM.

The wideband, especially if it is an LSU4.9 sensor, must be a minimum of 36 inches from the head mounted at least 10 degrees above horizontal before any catalytic converters or resonators. If you mount it after a cat or resonator it won't be accurate at all.

Here is a snippet from an AEM EUGO wideband kit with an LSU4.9 sensor. They are finicky but they don't require free air calibration and are more accurate than the older LSU4.2 sensors.

View attachment 137436
Update: I put back the oem 02 … the wide band was just for me to see how it would function..so no cel code on that … and the maf code was set on by a fic wiring mistake so that’s fixed and no codes at all …

·
Registered
175 Posts

View attachment 137428

View attachment 137429

----> That is all well and good, but the FIC has the ability to reduce the signal from the O2 sensor to the ECM. By reducing the signal voltage from O2 to ECM, the FIC makes the ECM see a leaner condition than really exists. That's how it all works. You add fuel on one map, then cut O2 signal on another map to balance it all out. Granted it works better in this sentence than it actually does in reality, but that is the theory anyway.
......... I have an FIC6 in an I4 2.0L. Can you do anything to my ECM to encourage open loop ?
Boomslang told me they know nothing of 4 cyl Hyundai stuff and only do V6. Is that your situation also?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
799 Posts
----> That is all well and good, but the FIC has the ability to reduce the signal from the O2 sensor to the ECM. By reducing the signal voltage from O2 to ECM, the FIC makes the ECM see a leaner condition than really exists. That's how it all works. You add fuel on one map, then cut O2 signal on another map to balance it all out. Granted it works better in this sentence than it actually does in reality, but that is the theory anyway.
......... I have an FIC6 in an I4 2.0L. Can you do anything to my ECM to encourage open loop ?
Boomslang told me they know nothing of 4 cyl Hyundai stuff and only do V6. Is that your situation also?
I can reflash 4cyl ECMs as well... I just don't have a 4cyl test car. The software and hardware is very similar so I imagine there is a 16 point 2D map like the one I posted previously that is the full-load/open-loop TPS trigger points. I just took a quick glance at a pair of early MAP based Hyundai 2.0 ECM files I have in my repository. One is an OEM Elantra tune and the other is a Turbo Tiburon tune and I believe I found the full-load/open-loop TPS trigger points for example:

Font Measuring instrument Display device Auto part Electric blue

Font Display device Technology Electronic device Electric blue

By simply lowering the values in this table I can bring on open loop sooner. Or I can zero it out so the car is always running in open loop. I don't know if there are any side effects from that though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have mercy so i’m getting around to messing with the Fic 6 and for the life of me i’m semi confused on the Maf clamping and i’ve watch the old videos from the archive forums on aem… plus i went and search through out the forum on here about maf clamping and i’ve seen different suggestions and answers … like “ go to setup and at the MAF Clamp section just put 4.5 with percentage instead of voltage to clamp“ and done.

Now the aem video says to gather info from data log doing runs with wot etc and use that data to input… but it totally skip that part in how to set up the runs to get the maf info .. i have a 07 i4 and it’s a auto and i seen one comment from a member that it was tricky to get the autos clamp bc Cel codes p0102 would pop up along with p0101 …. all i want is a base map that i can mess with lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts