Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Short version: I need to know how to test my maf and the maf wiring for possible loose connection as I had to splice into wiring in the past with mafterburner.)

My maf is oem and was replaced about a year ago. Recently I took out my NGM re-flashed ECU and put the stock ECU back in. This may be coincidental but after putting the stock ECU back in I now have a CEL with P0174 Bank 2 system lean, P0171 bank 1 system lean and P0160 bank two sensor two 02 circuit no activity. I took out the maf and cleaned it with maf cleaner and I’m still showing the code. I currently do not have my mafterburner hooked up but all the wiring is still spliced into the wires going to the ECU. While taking out the Reflashed ECU there were times where I was pulling and what I’m wondering is if I accidentally made one of the connections loose which is causing the cel. I know one of the connections that you have to splice into when doing the mafterburner is the maf wire. Can someone give me advice on how to test to see if my issue is the maf and to test the wiring to make sure that there isn’t a problem with the connection.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has any info on this. It looks like I use a multimeter to test but I’m lost on this stuff. As for the P0160 should I just replace the 02?

·
Registered
2003 Tiburon GT / Auto trans
91 Posts
the P0171 is more than likely a vacuum leak before your intake or at the intake, the others could be exhaust leaks, at your exhaust flanges looks for black streaks coming from them

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I discovered it was my catch can that was slightly leaking. I removed it and no codes for over a week.

·
Registered
91 Posts
oh ok, i apologize for my ignorance about the oil catch can, never used one before or even knew those existed lol what do they do exactly? First thing that comes to mind for me is its connected to the pcv valve to prevent blow by to the air filter(from the pics ive seen on google), but i could be wrong and is it something worth investing into?

·
Registered
244 Posts
oh ok, i apologize for my ignorance about the oil catch can, never used one before or even knew those existed lol what do they do exactly? First thing that comes to mind for me is its connected to the pcv valve to prevent blow by to the air filter(from the pics ive seen on google), but i could be wrong and is it something worth investing into?
It is handy to reduce oil vapor from getting back into your intake. The PCV system is meant to allow the block to be under vacuum. Positive pressure in the block is bad.

Im sure you've noticed oily intakes before. They get all gummy and can cause throttle bodies to stick or worse coat the valves and cause carbon to stick, especially cars with EGR valves.

On port injected engines (like ours) the valve coating issue isnt as big a deal because our injectors spray fuel directly on the valve area which should help keep things cleaner. Direct injected engines are a different story because fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinders. Therefore there is nothing to clean the valves and these engines have to periodically be cleaned with some kind of fuel injection service (we use BG products) The VW 2.0T motors had a HUGE problem with this causing all kinds of misfires and other issues, among other things. Catch cans can definitely help with direct injected motors.

For a factory NA engine, catch cans are really optional. At best, they help keep the intake system a little cleaner. For forced induction engines, this is a must have. Higher boost pressures will see higher crank case pressures. The whole idea of oil vapor being expelled from the system increases with performance demand and must be managed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh ok, so since my tibi is still a NA engine without a CAI or anything having a catch can would pretty much be pointless for me to have, BG is a good product, I like their motor flush, works really well, so for the tibi, its good to run fuel injection cleaners through our engines like once every oil change or more often then that? What would you recommend if i cant get the BG injector clean at my parts store?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Oh ok, so since my tibi is still a NA engine without a CAI or anything having a catch can would pretty much be pointless for me to have, BG is a good product, I like their motor flush, works really well, so for the tibi, its good to run fuel injection cleaners through our engines like once every oil change or more often then that? What would you recommend if i cant get the BG injector clean at my parts store?
A catch can is still beneficial, just not required.

You dont really need to do a specific fuel injection service on our cars since we have port injection. I run premium in mine instead of regular. Stay away from back road no name gas stations. Stick to quality fuel, and popular fuel stations that way the fuel is fresh.

If you wanted to do a fuel injection service... maybe once a year from a professional setup. Additives in the tank do little to nothing. There are so many additives already in the fuel itself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Usually i get my gas from a Shell station next to my house and if theres not one nearby i use murphy's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts