Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently changed my valve cover gasket as it was leaking. I was told online that I need to torque them down at 60 inch pounds then 74. As I was torquing them I realized the torque wrench I bought doesn’t work and never clicks. This ended up breaking two of my gasket screws. Too avoid breaking them I just torqued them down with a socket wrench until I couldn’t anymore. The torque pattern is correct not the weight, will this cause problems ?

· Administrator
9,552 Posts
Take a deep breath.....relaxxxxxxx........
Usually, valve cover bolts in last 30+ years are shoulder bolts.....head, barrel, smaller threads. The torque is to keep the bolts from loosening, usually fairly low torque value due to small diameter threads. The shoulder (barrel) contacts the mating surface to apply a good "squish" on the gasket (unlike much older valve covers which were sheetmetal with full bolt threads...they made spreaders to even the load without warping the cover edge).
My usual torque is grab the ratchet around the head and twist one handed, just like spark plugs.
Pattern is nice to follow, start in the middle and spiral out to the last bolts. This helps prevent bunches in the gasket, same for heads.

· Registered
3,239 Posts
It can cause problems, yes. In the short term you're lucky you didn't crack the valve cover itself. Over time it can also lead to leaks from too much stress on the gasket and cover. If it were me I'd be getting a torque wrench that works and re-torquing them properly. Others may just say to send it, but if you tightened them "until you couldn't anymore" that's likely way more than 74 in lbs.

· Administrator
9,552 Posts
Shoulder bolts, by design, snap off the threads before doing any other damage. I don't have a Tib here to check, but I would bet they are shoulder bolts. Or, they use a metal bushing in the rubber grommet that does the same thing.
You CAN'T over tighten the cover, just break bolts!

· Registered
3,239 Posts
Well from what the OP said about breaking a couple of them you may be right. I just did valve covers on my wife's Santa Fe and I think I could have damaged it without the proper torque, but maybe not and I don't know since I have torque wrenches that work properly. Also back when I had a 2.0 Elantra I did have a problem with over-torquing them and it caused a leak soon after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts