Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i have been browsing the internet for a while now and i cant figue out how to get the valve stem seals that seal the valves to the guide off of the guide and then after that how to reattach the keepers on our car to keep everything together..... anyone who has been down to the HLA's will understand what i am looking at.... any of the videos on youtube the springs and junk are exposed whereas our setup is sunken sitting under a 1 1/4" smooth shaft you dare not score its not very accesable from underneath either.
any input will help. they are my spare heads so they are off the block i feel like there is a tool for this >.<
also are the guides supposed to come out nice and easy or are they pressed in?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
normally you use a valve spring compressor to collapse the springs so you can remove the valve keepers.( one type looks like a C clamp and another looks like a pair of scissors sorta, its the KD tools version.) then you use the compressor to reinstall the springs and keepers after you replaced the valve stem seals. there is a valve keeper tool available but you can also just put some grease on them and place them on the valve stem to keep them in place as you release tension on the compressor. pretty simple to do with the heads off the vehicle. as far as valve guides, they usually are pressed out and in if they are the removable type. or you can heat the heads and freeze the guides and they may fall into place easily.
however, not to insult your abilities but to err on the side of caution, it appears to me that you have never done this type service before. i would highly recommend taking the heads to an automotive machine shop to have the work performed. NAPA usually does this kind of work if that firm has locations in Canada.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If your going to do valves seals, there are a few tools to have on hand. You can get away with less but the trade off will be time and frustration.

Valve spring compressor. I usually use a small magnetized screwdriver for the keepers.
Amazon.com: OTC 4572 Large Valve Spring Compressor: Automotive

Valve seal tools
Automotive Valve Stem Seal / Seating Pliers Tool Kit Remover & Installer Case HD - - Amazon.com

Valve guide tool for pressed in guides. To be used with air hammer. This would probably be better to take the bare heads in to a shop for the guides though.
Amazon.com: Air Valve Guide Driver .2165": Automotive

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my issue isn't taking the springs apart (that step was done using the compressor tool) it's removing the seal from the guide after the valve has been removed. Normally the seal is removed with like needle nose pliers but ours is not accessible using that sort of tool. Just wondering if anyone has done them on our car and can spare some advice. As for those tools I'd prefer not to buy a possibly expensive set just yet that has one functional purpose.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh shoot I just saw those stem seal pliars though. That's what I need! lol
Thanks reko!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
So my issue isn't taking the springs apart (that step was done using the compressor tool) it's removing the seal from the guide after the valve has been removed. Normally the seal is removed with like needle nose pliers but ours is not accessible using that sort of tool. Just wondering if anyone has done them on our car and can spare some advice. As for those tools I'd prefer not to buy a possibly expensive set just yet that has one functional purpose.

cant help you there, usually you can just pull em off by hand. (Tibs werent invented last time i did this) my concern is with the valve guides. you are aware that if you replace them, you will need to regrind the valve faces and valve seats, then lap them in and pressure test it all.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
HI. i want to try to do this job because my car do a smoke when start up a d have a consumption. so.. i wa t to know if this its the procedure

BEFORE ALL. i need to be sure the valve where i will repair first has the piston rise up..right??

1. with the sprong compresion tool compress the spring valve
2 . when the spring was compress and release the holders put away with a magnetic thing
3. remove the seals with the plyers
4. put oik in new one seals and in the valve.
5. with caution put the valve seal there and push it little by lttle and theb with a tool hit with a hammer for sit it down
6. theb put the spring and put the holders up the spring and done.

my questions its... its 4 valve for piston?? in v6 right?
  1. in the up piston area that valves will be rise up, when i pull out the valve seal , the valve will be steady there or will have play in and out? or when i pull out the valve seal the valve will have a play there when i oull out the seal? or the valve will be steady after remove the seal? i dont need to recalibrate the valve after this? or the valve of this car didnt need recalibration?
PD:i need to take apart all the plastic timing belt cover.. did i need to put the timimg valve belt in the mark beforre take apart the cam pulley? i need to break the tension in the belt right? but before i need to put the timing belt in marks and the take apart all? if this is in that way.. when i move the cranshaft by hand for rise up the piston i need to left the crankshaft in the mark when i finish the job right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts