Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I took some jumper cables and clipped the ends........and put brass connecters on the end.......can I use that wire to power a 700 watt power inverter with 3 plugs?......is wire just wire like that?.....

or do I need to buy regular regular amp power wire type stuff that costs more money

EDIT-this IS NOT for my tiburon......its for my Freightliner truck which has 4 HUGE batterys...

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would actually get some wire and clamps or 'O' type clamps to wire the batts together...I can get some batt wire and 'O' type connectors. The only issue I see is that you will have to put a fuse somewhere (obviousely) or you run the risk of frying whatever you have plugged in.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would actually get some wire and clamps or 'O' type clamps to wire the batts together...I can get some batt wire and 'O' type connectors. The only issue I see is that you will have to put a fuse somewhere (obviousely) or you run the risk of frying whatever you have plugged in.

Well the pwer inverter itself has 3 fuses on the side....so I guess that would blow first if anything?.

I just wanna know if jumper cable "wire" can be used just like regular power wire to power inverters or amps even

And btw the freightliners 4 batteries are all wired together power+grounds

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yes, a jumper cable acts just like a batt. cable. So I would assume you could power the inverter just fine. It doesnt really connect to anything else except the fuse box (in an ambulance atleast). Assuming it wasnt overloading it, it should be fine. An amp is risky buss...that I would not jump from 4 TT batteries. But that just cause I wouldnt wanna take the risk of blowing it up...but hey, thats why they have fuses.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, a jumper cable acts just like a batt. cable. So I would assume you could power the inverter just fine. It doesnt really connect to anything else except the fuse box (in an ambulance atleast). Assuming it wasnt overloading it, it should be fine. An amp is risky buss...that I would not jump from 4 TT batteries. But that just cause I wouldnt wanna take the risk of blowing it up...but hey, thats why they have fuses.

Hmmmmmm so is THAT why I went thru like 3 amps in my other freightliner?......cuz it was getting TOOO much power from the 4 batteries?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I can only assume...I want there to test it. If you hook it up and then take a multimeter to it it should tell you what the 4 batts are footing out. I know its more the 12amps. you should be able to check what its running at with your regular amp meter in your truck ( i assume you have one in there)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Actually that would be 12 volts, not amps! And you can actually run past 12, you can get near 15 before you start causing issues. If your batteries are jumped from + to -, then they are in series and are putting out 24volts or higher. Most rig's I know use 24volts, so I bet you are running dual 24 volt setups. If you connected the amp positive to just one positive terminal, then it should have only kicked out 12 - 14.5 volts or so. Def. check your connection next time and see what amount of DC volts you are getting from your power connection to the amp and the ground to the amp and make sure it is in a safe voltage range. L8R

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
take a volt meter and conect it to one batter pos and neg if your reading is < then 13 use your jumpers and ground it off to the negative post of the SAME batter, that creates a 12 V circut, ground your amp to the ground jumper and power to the pos, if you run only the pos off the battery and ground the amp, because there in sereis you will draw 24V and nuke the amp by grounding it off on the same battery it closes the 12V circut,

Down side, if one batter is gonna die it will be that one. Just a FYI not really a huge deal.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually that would be 12 volts, not amps! And you can actually run past 12, you can get near 15 before you start causing issues. If your batteries are jumped from + to -, then they are in series and are putting out 24volts or higher. Most rig's I know use 24volts, so I bet you are running dual 24 volt setups. If you connected the amp positive to just one positive terminal, then it should have only kicked out 12 - 14.5 volts or so. Def. check your connection next time and see what amount of DC volts you are getting from your power connection to the amp and the ground to the amp and make sure it is in a safe voltage range. L8R
Thanx for all ur help man.........I'm not gonna mess with the amps tho.......not gonna do all that work and risk blowing amps........ill stick to my stock deck.......my volt gauge in my truck stays about 14.......never tested the actual output tho.....don't know how the 4 batteries are set up.....they are all run within another tho

But on the jumper cable thing u think that'll be safe wire to use to power my 700 watt 3 plg power invertor?........its only gonna be used for a few phone chargers......possibly a small fridge in the near future........and my mini shop vac from time to time

In my other truck I had the standard gauge amp wire powering it I just wanna use something thicker cuz sometimes the protect light would come on(that wire didn't look like it lasted good cuz of its small gauge)......
So I can I do my jumper cable wire/connector idea for that?......wire is wire like that right?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
some of my trusk drivers used to do that for their inverters......i did not hear of any problems once they did it.........

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I see no problems using it, it is actually like welding lead cable, which is some of the best stuff to use, it carries current very well!

·
Registered
938 Posts
LOL Yes, this is what I was trying to say after being awake for 24 hours at 5am. Sorry about the confusion.

·
Registered
349 Posts
sounds like it would work but I have doubts about the jumper cables performing like normal power cables
I am sure its rated over what they tell you... unless your using a cheap set.

I dont see any problems with that type of wire. i know i have a set that we used to wired 20 amp - 50 circuits with 6 awg cable for the distance of 50 feet at -48 volts.

give it a shot...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.