Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I kinda was thinking about things and normaly people will go and throw on a smaller pulley on the Vortech blower to get an effective stage 2. What If I were to keep the stage 1 pulley on and put a overdrive pulley on making it stage 2ish. Would that work? Has anyone done that. Because thinking about it... It would be pretty sweet. It should shift the map and make us Vortech guys gain that low end(not like its a problem :3_a_puh: ) . Im thinking there would be more stress on the motor due to low as power as well... That seems like the only dissadvantage to me. And does anyone make these?

Ps. sorry bout the thred, I know its VORTECH

·
Registered
225 Posts
So I kinda was thinking about things and normaly people will go and throw on a smaller pulley on the Vortech blower to get an effective stage 2. What If I were to keep the stage 1 pulley on and put a overdrive pulley on making it stage 2ish. Would that work? Has anyone done that. Because thinking about it... It would be pretty sweet. It should shift the map and make us Vortech guys gain that low end(not like its a problem :3_a_puh: ) . Im thinking there would be more stress on the motor due to low as power as well... That seems like the only dissadvantage to me. And does anyone make these?

Ps. sorry bout the thred, I know its VORTECH
IMO you are better off with a smaller pulley on the blower that way you wont be over revving all your accessories and losing power to spin them all at a higher rate then normal.

I also don't think it would shift the boost map; if the stage two S/C pulley give you a ratio of let's say 10 to 1 and the lower pulley also gives you a ratio of 10 to 1 the S/C will be spinning at the same speed at any given RPM from the engine, it's like trading an apple for an apple except you are losing power by spinning all the other pulleys faster

and YES NGM sells bigger crank pulleys that looks awesome, it's a two piece light weight design so you can swap the pulley ring for a bigger one on the fly.
normally these pulleys are used when you are already using the smallest possible pulley on the blower and want more boost from a roots blower but you could also play with the gear ratio in the transmission of the blower itself that would shift the boost map or install an other S/C like a V2

·
Registered
433 Posts
smeby sound has the stage 1 pully and an NGM overdrive pully i believe

·
Registered
888 Posts
IMO you are better off with a smaller pulley on the blower that way you wont be over revving all your accessories and losing power to spin them all at a higher rate then normal.

I also don't think it would shift the boost map; if the stage two S/C pulley give you a ratio of let's say 10 to 1 and the lower pulley also gives you a ratio of 10 to 1 the S/C will be spinning at the same speed at any given RPM from the engine, it's like trading an apple for an apple except you are losing power by spinning all the other pulleys faster

and YES NGM sells bigger crank pulleys that looks awesome, it's a two piece light weight design so you can swap the pulley ring for a bigger one on the fly.
normally these pulleys are used when you are already using the smallest possible pulley on the blower and want more boost from a roots blower but you could also play with the gear ratio in the transmission of the blower itself that would shift the boost map or install an other S/C like a V2

Lol this is totally wrong. You're not working the engine any harder to spin the accessories faster, that is just a by product of the crank pulley moving more belt per rotation than before.

Carerra. Yes, adding a larger crank pulley will spin the blower up faster earlier in the RPM range effectively making it a stage 2, technically its 2.5. RIPP has been doing this for years, it's a pretty simple concept to understand, just think of the way a 10 speed bike works and reverse it.

The supercharger pulley spins so fast in relation to the crank. Now, normally, if you increased the size of the supercharger pulley, since the crank pulley isnt any bigger it would slow the supercharger pulley down because it would take more belt travel to spin it 1 full rotation because of the increased circumference... However, when it comes to the crank pulley the opposite applies. The engine rpm is going to stay the same, but how much belt the crank pulley moves per rotation increases with it's circumference... In effect causing the supercharger pulley which stays the same size to spin more times per rotation.

So to answer your question carrera, yes, OD pulley your crank and your SC will spin faster at an earlier RPM and make more boost sooner, much like a roots.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Hello,

The good thing about running a lower crank pulley over a smaller upper pulley is that when you go smaller on the supercharger, you lose belt surface area on the pulley. I would run the larger upper with a lower crank pulley to give you the same ratio, this way you will have a little more overall diameter on the supercharger pulley to minimize belt slippage.

Thanks T.C.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lol this is totally wrong. You're not working the engine any harder to spin the accessories faster, that is just a by product of the crank pulley moving more belt per rotation than before.

Carerra. Yes, adding a larger crank pulley will spin the blower up faster earlier in the RPM range effectively making it a stage 2, technically its 2.5. RIPP has been doing this for years, it's a pretty simple concept to understand, just think of the way a 10 speed bike works and reverse it.

The supercharger pulley spins so fast in relation to the crank. Now, normally, if you increased the size of the supercharger pulley, since the crank pulley isnt any bigger it would slow the supercharger pulley down because it would take more belt travel to spin it 1 full rotation because of the increased circumference... However, when it comes to the crank pulley the opposite applies. The engine rpm is going to stay the same, but how much belt the crank pulley moves per rotation increases with it's circumference... In effect causing the supercharger pulley which stays the same size to spin more times per rotation.

So to answer your question carrera, yes, OD pulley your crank and your SC will spin faster at an earlier RPM and make more boost sooner, much like a roots.
So basically you are saying that a bigger crank pulley wont give the same result than a smaller S/C pulley would give, making the S/C spin faster a lower RPM then a smaller S/C pulley would.

And I wouldn't say TOTALLY wrong because if I use your analogy of a 10 "I had an 18" speed bike the bigger the front gear "crank pulley" the harder it is to get the rear wheel "S/C pulley" to turn. so it's a fact that if you have a bigger crank pulley the engine will spend more power driving the accesories

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think You need to read his post again... he said id be even a little more the a 2.. Its be a 2.5 accordig to Boostology...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hello,

The good thing about running a lower crank pulley over a smaller upper pulley is that when you go smaller on the supercharger, you lose belt surface area on the pulley. I would run the larger upper with a lower crank pulley to give you the same ratio, this way you will have a little more overall diameter on the supercharger pulley to minimize belt slippage.

Thanks T.C.

I agree with this statement.

The only thing i'd like to add is that with both of our setups, (Tim's and mine) the angle created by the supercharger pulley location is such that there is actually a pretty good amount of pulley being touched by the belt and that belt slip is usually not an issue so long as the tib's tensioner is working properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts